Author Topic: Vintage Movie Bigotry  (Read 4846 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Vintage Movie Bigotry
« on: March 03, 2006, 08:09:16 PM »
Okay, Parker.  You win.  You were right, and I was wrong.

So, Parker and I got into this argument on tuesday over old movies.  As a rule, I don't watch them.  I said I wanted to watch a scary movie, and Parker recommended several that I haven't seen that weren't rated R, but it turned out that they were all older movies.  Specifically, he wanted me to watch Wait Until Dark and Gaslight.  

I refused, because I don't like older movies, especially when they're supposed to be scary.  Psycho was not scary to me.  Neither was The Birds.  Interesting, yes.  Scary, no.  

So then Parker called me a bigot.  Maybe I deserved that.  Finally I agreed to take Wait Until Dark and watch it, and then post to tell him what I thought.

Okay--here you go, Parker.  

It was a scary movie.  And very well done.  And I loved it.  And from now on I will take your recommendations for movies--especially scary ones, even if they're old.  

And Audrey Hepburn is freaking awesome.  

That is all.

Oh, and does Orem have Gaslight on VHS?  
*Fish grins sheepishly
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 08:10:46 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Vintage Movie Bigotry
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 08:21:16 PM »
Oh, I thought this was a thread about how racist vintage movies are.

I just picked up the complete Batman 1943 movie serial collection and it's got many of great "disturbing" lines.

My favorite is while panning thought a shot of little Tokyo the narrator says "Once a crowded neighborhood the streets are now empty thanks the the wise government rounding up all the shifty-eyed Japs".

Oh and the main villain is a Japanese spy/prince/evil scientist trying to halt the US war efforts and also apparently Batman and Robin are US special agents and the government knows who they are.

Fun, fun.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 08:25:01 PM »
And my thread stayed on topic for one post.  

That's really funny though.  

There are some really racist old Looney Toons...with villains running around in turbans trying to assasinate Bugs Bunny and such.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 08:38:57 PM »
Oh, I thought this was a thread about how racist vintage movies are.

Me too. lol. But I'd rather talk about Audrey Hepburn any day. That movie is freaky. Funny thing is that I started adding a bunch of her movies to my Netflix queue. huh. Can't believe I forgot to put that one on there!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 08:42:07 PM »
Truthfully, the only movies I've seen with her are this one and Sabrina, which was bought for me because I liked the Harrison Ford one so much.  

Which others should I see?

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 08:54:52 PM »
Ooh. My Fair Lady. A Roman Holiday. Breakfast at Tiffany's. Those are the tops. Always is awesome too, though she doesn't have a main role. I'd start with those. Charade is more like Wait Until Dark if you want "edgy" rather than funny. But they're all great. Don't you just love discovering a new actor or show that you really like? :D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 09:03:04 PM »
Oh, and I've seen My Fair Lady.  Though I didn't like the end.  

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 09:12:53 PM »
I always though stuff like Casablanca was overblown and lame, having never seen it, and then I watched it a few weeks ago. All I can say is WOW!

Lately I've been watching a lot of old movies, Im a huge fan of Charade, huge fan (its an amazing movie) and I love all the films of Errol Flynn.

another totally scary movie from back them is Fritz Lang's 1931 Noir classic "M"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022100/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:14:07 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 09:14:35 PM »
Oh, and I've seen My Fair Lady.  Though I didn't like the end.  

I almost added to my post that I the ending makes me mad. (Sometimes I watch all of the movie except for the very end, in fact.) But then I didn't want to prejudice you! lol.

I always though stuff like Casablanca was overblown and lame, having never seen it, and then I watched it a few weeks ago. All I can say is WOW!

Yeah. I'd never seen it either until last Aug. Of all people, it was my boyfriend at the time who wanted me to watch it with him. So I figured, well, okay, if he likes it, then maybe it's not as overrated as I thought. Such a true classic. Ordered it from Amazon two weeks later.  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 09:17:35 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 09:15:39 PM »
Lol.  That's hilarious, Shrain.  

I've never seen Casablanca either.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 09:18:54 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032976/

Rebecca is good too 1940 Hitchcock
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 10:48:57 PM »
I'd gloat, but I'm just glad that you liked the flick.  Honestly, after all your resistance, I was rather nervous.  But you really  can't go wrong with Wait Until Dark.

Other scary/suspenseful movies I think you'd like:

Gaslight (yes, we do have it on VHS)
The Innocents
The Haunting

And these are ones that I wouldn't classify exactly as scary, but they're dang good suspense"
Charade
Rebecca
Notorious
Rear Window
Vertigo

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 10:53:52 PM »
The Haunting. meh. I really thought the denoument sucked, big time.
--Spriggan

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 12:33:13 AM »
My favorite Audrey Hepburn movie is How to Steal a Million. I loooooooooooooooooove that movie.  :)

Also, I agree that Wait Until Dark is definitely a good scary movie.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 01:19:54 AM »
It's been a while since I saw the original Haunting, but I remember good things, and it's got some really good reviews.  You aren't by chance thinking of the remake, which left much to be desired, are you?