Author Topic: review: Barrow of the Forgotten King  (Read 2805 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: Barrow of the Forgotten King
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 05:07:34 PM »
This wasn't just a railroad of an adventure there wasn't even an adventure at all, it was basically nothing but combat with no Role-playing involved where every freaking room/location/area was a fight as if this was a video game and not a pen and paper module.  I don't know how long is was intended in game time to make it through but I could see it taking several weeks since after 1-2 fights you're completely out of spells, life, money (and speaking of cash there was very little so you didn't want to use or waste potions or scrolls).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:08:41 PM »
If an adventure is going to be all combats, they should be more streamlined.  Like those clockwork menders (they are actually in MMIV), beyond just how hard they are for the CR, they soak up way too much time... attack roll, then saving throw, and this is happening round after round, since even your big hitters will probably miss over and over (a starting AC of 18, and they spring attack in and out of cover).  The jump check to get on the coffins was too high for lvl 2, and you have to get on them just to reach the bugs.  So yeah you live, but it takes a billion rounds, then you get to spend all this time figuring out all the rules for healing poison, and recovering ability damage, etc.

Not to mention the DM having to flip all over the mod just to find out what's going on... I mean, is he supposed to memorize everything in the mod beforehand?  That just defeats the point of buying an adventure, might as well design your own and not only save the $$, it would run smoother since you'd actually know what's going on.  We got through probably 3 times as many combats, plus more roleplaying in the same amount of time while playing Scourge of the Howling Horde... so many things in this mod just ate away time.

Our slaped-together chars were probably more interesting than the plot.  The combats were way too drawn out (I mean a drawn-out fight against the boss is one thing, but this is enter room, fight, enter next room, fight...)  Not even anything too interesting in the rooms... the only real features was the dead bodies we were looking for and the graves that you can't loot b/c they are all the dead reletives of the townsfolk you are helping.  I mean if you downloaded it off the internet, it would be okay to kill a few sessions of a home game with, but if you are going to spend 15$, there's better stuff out there.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 11:16:02 PM by Eagle Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 02:03:38 AM »
Okay, I made a half-hearted attempt at the "bluebooking" deal brought up in another thread, using my playtest character.   http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=2664.0

I didn't put in too much detail about the actual adventures, and I'm not really sure at what the format of this is supposed to be like.  Making it like a personal journal doesn't seem right, since my character can't even read or write.  It feels more like a backstory, but I think I have the general idea of what the bluebooking is for.  Its got his backstory, and a bit about the 2 adventures he did, and then some 'stuff' he did in between those adventures.  It might work better if you have more than 2 adventures to go off though, who knows.

Here's a link to the textfile

http://www.angelfire.com/d20/9hells/Antaeus.txt
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

bittersweet010102

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:24:39 PM »
 :owoah i just read that story thing its pretty flippin sweet!!! ;D