Author Topic: 42's Therapy Thread  (Read 24033 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: 42's Therapy Thread
« Reply #270 on: May 07, 2004, 09:46:24 AM »
so have you followed up with another visit explainging your concerns?
Or are you just playing MD and Psychiatrist.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #271 on: May 07, 2004, 10:07:24 AM »
Yeah, but I don't know you IRL. It takes me that long in this situation.

And yes, I'm playing MD and Psychiatrist.  I read a few things on it, those things pretty much described me.  That's as far as I care about the matter.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 07, 2004, 03:06:56 PM »
Well, from what I know social anxiety is really, really common. It's not really considered a serious medical condition unless it's in conjuction with some other emotional disorders. But if you think you might have it, I would suggest finding a good self-help book on the subject before you invest in a doctor or therapy or anything like that. It's a lot less expensive that way, plus a self-help book is less likely to screw you up more. Now if your social anxiety becomes so bad that you can't go 30 feet away from your bed, then you probably need some medical help.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #273 on: May 07, 2004, 08:32:48 PM »
42, that's exactly what my thoughts were. I don't have anything serious, it's just a pain to make a phone call, buy something from a shop, wait for a bus, or talk to a stranger, I can still do it, I just go into adenalin rush mode sometimes during that sort of situation.  Mostly I was interested and thought it bears mention becuase I thought I was the only one who did these things.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2004, 12:55:56 AM »
It's not really considered a serious medical condition unless it's in conjuction with some other emotional disorders

What I've heard is that it's a 'disorder' if it impairs your ability to function in society.  I think that's a pretty good rule of thumb.  

But, I'm also a big proponant of understanding what makes you tick so that you can better cope with reality.  The more you can realistically come to understand how your emotions are produced, the better off you will be.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 09, 2004, 09:40:31 PM »
I'm still upset.
I just got off the phone with my mom, who was talking with me about it, but not actually helping any.

Then I sit down and turn on the TV to find that Steel Magnolias is on, and Julia Roberts is trying to explain to her mother why she wants to have a baby.

ha ha.

Somebody has a really sick sense of humor.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 09, 2004, 11:28:19 PM »
What I've heard is that it's a 'disorder' if it impairs your ability to function in society.  I think that's a pretty good rule of thumb.  

"function in sciety" is probably not the best definition. Most therapist and psychologist and developementalist and educatators that I've worked with define it as impairing your ability to function socially or personally. So the definition is a little broader. If something is making you miserable, you have the right to work on making it better even if it's not impairing how you function in society. Degrading yourself to how society percieves you could be hurtful, particularly if you haven't done anything wrong.

Also, you will never be able to understand everything about how you tick in this lifetime, so just pick aspects you think you can figure out and go from there. And remember that some weakness and challenges in your personality are just given to you to deal with through no fault of your own. Probably because you can overcome it where others could not.

The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 02, 2004, 05:27:44 AM »
So does anyone have any suggestions on how to control sudden violent impulses? I've been getting them a lot lately. It's kind of odd because I almost never get angry at anything.

I'm thinking this might be because I'm on less medication than I should be. Mostly because I'm poor and can't afford it anymore. Suggestion as to what I can do before the voices in my head start telling me to go on a homocidal killing spree?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2004, 07:17:32 AM »
getting active sometimes helps, like running, or swimming or beating the heck out of something... my suggestion, find a place where you can whack a few golf balls. Its very satisfying, and you can knock the heck out of em.

failing that , or if your poor, I suggest heavy labor, lifting sawing or digging.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2004, 08:20:45 AM »
I'd suggest beating up something that doesn't mind. I find that can help. If you just go crazy (pardon the expression) and beat up a pillow or punching bag or a wall (if you don't mind breaking the wall and/or your hand bones) for ten minutes, I don't think you'd feel like hitting anything else for the rest of the day.

My other suggestion would be zen type meditation or similar. I used to have a really short temper, and now I'm rather patient and can be slow to anger. I kinda taught myself how to be patient by, for example, just spending an hour in a nice garden type place for no reason at all with nothing external to entertain me. Basically it worked, it isn't often I want to hit something nowadays (except during Kempo, but that's the point)

So yeah, do something physical to get it out of your system, or do something peaceful to stop it from ever entering your system.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2004, 10:27:15 PM »
So I've been told my grandfather has one to two weeks left to live. He's had several strokes and currently is fighting am infection and a broken pelvis. So how do people handle something like this?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2004, 10:56:02 PM »
My husband's grandmother died about 2 weeks ago.  She was his last grandparent and very very close to him.

He dealt with it by buying Transformers.

*shrug*

I don't think that will help you in particular, but perhaps reconnecting with a part of your childhood in some way.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 10:56:51 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2004, 11:53:25 PM »
So my grandfather passed away a little before 11 am this morning. I'm actually kind of releaved being that the last few days (weeks, months, years) have been very hard on him.

I've realized through this ordeal that I'm not really afraid of death at all. I'm afraid of a lot of other stuff, but not death.

I also realize that dying quickly is preferable to dying slowly. At least in my opinion. The waiting for my grandpa to die when there was nothing anyone could do, was just agonizing. I'm now anxious for my grandpa's funeral so I can have a resolution of sorts.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 04, 2004, 12:02:26 AM »
    Do you want to talk about it, or just want someone to listen? Sorry if I am breaking some rule, I know I am not normally here, and you don't know me very well, but sometimes the best people to talk to are perfect strangers. I just figured since the people you normally talk to on here arent on you might need someone else to listen.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 12:09:33 AM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 04, 2004, 11:01:08 AM »
Actually, I'm doing okay. I'm just anxious for things to get resolved. LIke the funeral and making sure my grandma is okay. Like I said, death doesn't really scare me. I know my grandpa is doing fine now and I'll see him again someday.

So I'm just kind of posting for the sake of posting some of this stuff.