Author Topic: WWII gaming  (Read 1300 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
WWII gaming
« on: October 12, 2003, 06:29:50 PM »
You know, one of the most momentous events of the last century World War II is a seldom gamed genre/setting even though there are lots of rulebooks that deal with the complexities of a world at war. Would you play in a straight WWII roleplaying game? What about a cross genre game like Gear Krieg (super science and battling walkers). What about a Twilight 1945 game or the deadlands inspired wierd wars? Is the problem that war is too restrictive for a game?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: WWII gaming
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 07:22:42 PM »
I refuse to do anything related to WW2. I'm sick and tired of WW2, its on all the fugging time. Hitler : rise of evil, world at war, christ. It's interesting and all, but there is only so much i can take on one single subject.

Lets do RPing in ancient assyria.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 07:28:11 PM »
Hmmm your rant interests me.... shall we sack a city and sew its fields with salt?

Would Sumaria be a better start?

For I am Gilgamesh, king of Uruk and you are Enkidu  the wild man and chosen of the great god Anu. :)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 07:53:47 PM »
KILL THE ISRAELITES! :P SCATTER THE CHOSEN OF GOD TO THE WINDS!  :P

Hehe. Yeah, i've been interested in Assyria since i saw their reliefs in the British museum in London, showing their soldiers storming the walls of an Israelite city, and their king hunting lions. Fascinating stuff, 2500 yr/old and all.

Sumeria... they had chariots pulled by Oxen. I take offense to that :P
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 07:55:47 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 08:03:21 PM »
Antisemitism isn't fun.

Lets settle on a nice south pacific game, Mokuwahe Kahuna where the charaters are polynesian adventurers.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 08:28:39 PM »
First time i've been called anti-semetic. Normally i'm berated for defending the evils of Israel when i comment on the happy fun activities of palestine.

And lets not go for south america. Boring place really. Egypt is over done. Greece is wierd, and has far too much bestiality for my liking. Rome is fun but overdone. Celts are hard to get information on, other than the Avalanche press book. Almost on information exists at all regarding the Picts. Boo.

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 08:50:01 PM »
Dont misunderstand me so fast, I dont think your anti semitic, but I did think it was funny (peculiar) that you think WWII has been done to death by the media because your statement about killing the isrealites implies that that hasn't been in the media enough, even though we both know thats not what you meant. The anti-semitic comment was meant to guide you to the paradox of that statement and not at all designed to call you a rascist.

As far as I know Polynesia has a very rich cultural and mythic history and it would make for great gaming, plus it avoids the problem of South America you mentioned since it lies firmly in the realam of Oceania.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 11:31:01 PM »
WWII is the greatest thing ever. New technology, huge and massive weapons of human engineering, Stalin, Churchill, FDR, Pearl Harbor, Planes, trains, automobiles, and did I mention Stalin and the greatness of Kievan Rus?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo