Author Topic: WotC buys back RPG game worlds  (Read 1865 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
WotC buys back RPG game worlds
« on: September 02, 2005, 10:28:29 PM »
From ICv2:
Arthaus Publishing, Inc., and Wizards of the Coast announced that an agreement has been reached for the rights to the Ravenloft and Gamma World campaign settings to return to Wizards of the Coast   White Wolf, which solicits and sells all Arthaus products, has been tentatively allowed to continue to sell backstock through June of 2006.
I can kinda see Ravenloft by why would Wizards want Gama  World?  Heck why would anyone want Gamma world?

Edit: Now that I think about it I bet GW was part of the deal since Witewolf and many other publishers are starting to scale back their D20/OGL products since it appears that non-D20 RPGs are starting to become more popuar again.  So if Wizards wanted Ravenloft they had to buy both settings.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 10:34:31 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: WotC buys back RPG game worlds
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 10:51:17 PM »
I'm thinking Wizards wants Gamma World t expand on the D20 Modern and Future lines.

Buying Ravenloft back was probably a good move. Unless Wizards just sits on the license, which would be dumb, but they would be the first.

It annoys me to no end that the Companies that bought the Dark Sun and Mystara licenses just put up a web-site and then did nothing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 10:52:56 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »
If Wizards revisists any of their old settings I want it to be Dark Sun--that world rocked.

I wonder about Ravenloft, though, for a great many reasons. It was an okay setting and all, but...I can't decide if I like the idea or not.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 06:25:47 PM »
I second you on the Dark Sun, Fell.  Cool world.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 06:40:14 PM »
Ravenloft is immensely popular, though it's popularity is based on the original adventure module more so than the setting built around that module.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 06:53:40 PM »
Planescape! Bring back Planescape!!!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 08:39:13 PM »
They aready did, kind of. Planescape was really the planes (which they still have, albiet modified heavily), plus the city, plus the underlying cosmology and concepts (belief and alignment can cause planar shifts of cities, thus giving the common man a sort of consensual reality thing going on, with the factions fighting not only in merchantile and military terms but in pure belief and planar shifts). They have the planes in the Planar sourcebook. The city is mentioned briefly in it from what I hear. And the cosmology and concepts are not in alignment with how they have set that up, with the factions being dead and buried I believe - though i've not seen the current planar sourcebook.

so, planescape is gone. In it's place is something not nearly as interesting. :(
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 08:42:17 PM »
the planes book sucked...
truely sucked....

We need the real planescape back!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 10:01:14 PM »
I remember enjoying the Daggerfall-style TSR videogame "Ravenloft."  It was a pre-Daggerfall Daggerfall, and good fun.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 10:01:29 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2005, 10:25:22 PM »
I never cared for Ravenloft mostly because I don't enjoy games where things are supposed to be stacked against the players.

I'm more interested in what will happen with the new core rule books, if there are any, since the D20 ravenloft one is supposed to be quite nice.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 01:52:24 AM »
Ah, Planescape...the diamond in the rough of 2E.  How I love thee.  Sadly, we'll never see another official Planescape, but the fans do a pretty okay job.  Such a great setting, now just a memory...

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 10:28:21 PM »
Planescape is okay.  It was too wierd in the end, imo.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.