Author Topic: Your favorite setting...  (Read 4558 times)

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite setting...
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 11:53:32 PM »
i don't have much experience playing roleplaying games outside of D&D.  but i know i definitely want to try some eberron, though that is still d&d.  d20 modern was actually really fun.  It would be cool to try that again, then i can come up with another insane character.

My character was a field medic named dr. licorice, who was a sandslave (cyborg) who used a chainsaw.  He also found a little buddy robot (like R2-D2), that he ended up chopping up for parts, named twizzler.  
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 01:33:45 AM »
That's right.  He enlisted.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Fangirl

• Level 2
  • Join the Dark Side - We have cookies!
    • View Profile
    • The Smith Geeks
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 09:52:58 PM »
Mine was the Dragonlance setting - we didn't run into any of the major characters, but our DM twiddled with history a little, and the vampire elf (our one ally in the game) was responsible for starting the Kinslayer Wars.  Of course, he neglected to mention that until later .... :D
"The Sith can throw lightning from their fingertips; this makes any one of them a Darth and stormy knight."

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2005, 03:47:00 AM »
Kid_Kilowatt, our old movie/rpg guy, developed a setting for BESM that I thought was absolutely killer. The idea was that the gods had become corrupted, and the act of worshipping could infect you with a communicable curse, like a virus. It's still in our archives, somewhere, and it's just overflowing with cool ideas. Very neat stuff.

What was that, the Plague Lands of Winterlight or some-such?

That was a fantastic setting.  Truly inspired.  Wish more had been done with it.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2005, 03:50:26 AM »
My favorite settings, in no particular order:

1) Deadlands- Old West + Horror = Amazing fun!  Best setting ever.

2) The Old World - The Warhammer setting.  Grim, gritty, dark, and filled to the brim with black humor.  It is a very specific fantasy world with a very particular feel.  It's just fantastic, really.

3) Planescape - best weird fantasy setting ever.  Deserved a better system than D&D.  I still think this would be a fun one to convert to Savage Worlds.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 09:22:22 AM »
Can't believe I forgot planescape. It's main problems for me now is that it's hard to sell people on it, and that it's in an old and crappy system. There are resources online that upgrade planescape to 3.5 though. As in, proper planescape, not the manual of the planes passing mention.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
2 of those are mine... Deadlands and Planescape...

Im definately a sinker baby!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 10:44:31 AM »
instead of just talking about it, I'm actually linking you to The Plague Lands of Winterlight

I'm still not a fan of published settings, though the worst system I ever read, Chosen had one of the best setting potentials ever. Too bad they couldn't write or design a game.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 07:09:29 AM »
I think they made Planescape too weird, too comical.  They don't even use the Great Wheel cosmology for anything but Greyhawk anymore, cause even when it is serious they end up still just too bizzare.  Like some of them are pretty cool- Celestia, Abyss, 9 Hells, Pandemonium.  But then others just get too strange, like a plane of giant metal cubes crashing into each other?  And Hextor decides to live here why?
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 09:26:23 AM »
I liked the giant cubes :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 11:15:42 AM »
Modrons were a fantastic part of the setting.

...and were left behind in the edition change.

They used to represent Lawful Neutral, but stupid Formorians too over that job.

Stupid ants.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 05:48:05 PM »
They got replaced by something not so weird.  But they didn't get completely left out, there is a 18 page web enhancement for 3.0 manual of the planes with stats and background info of the Modrons.  It includes about everything ever written abot them, so I wouldn't say they got left completely out.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

riftalope

• Level 2
  • Are you gonna finnish that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2005, 03:35:10 AM »
I'm an old school gamer that's fallen out of the habit.

I have two favorite settings.
One- The old Element Masters gameworld (company forgotten) was a great world, maybe due to a sharp witted GM. Elf, human, dwarf and halfbreeds all hoping to stop a common invader. Plus the Half-Trons. Trons were the supper-sized genderless minions of the invader's shock troops. Born full sized from captured women, killing mom in the proccess. Half-Trons are from mothers that escape before the kid is big enough to be programmed (we hope) Incomplete, male, and grown to full thinking size in the last hour, with some of their mom's memories up to the last second of life.
In that world there's an invation into your magical world from forces of high tech power and some incidental other thingys get in too. You players are tapped by a great trainer to learn the lost art of Elemental Manipulation. THE most poweful form of magic. (It was lost when the other masters lept into the other demention to fight and the remainders were assasinated.)
My character, dwarven, lost an arm and foot to take out a great three headed dragon guarding a portal.  The hand was replaced with robot parts and dragon armor.
When we got to the end of the set cenario and literally blew the invading extradementional bad guy off the planet we kept playing.

The other Favorite Gameworld is R.I.F.T.S. due to it's versitility and "it's all inside" element.

RPH
Pick up the Zen. Let it pull you faster to your point of balance. Once in balance, see the Zen all around you. Pick up the Zen. -Heropa, Zen and the Art of Grav-engine Recofiguration.