Author Topic: Your favorite setting...  (Read 4560 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Your favorite setting...
« on: October 14, 2005, 06:37:30 PM »
Published or unpublished, what is your favorite rpg setting. Rules arent an issue here on this one.

Mine is the Superhero world that my buddy Charon made up for us, a world that was 1 part Wildcards, on part Marvel and all bang. In our supers world, the sups were all the patrons of different pantheons and each millenium they were selected by different gods to become avatars of the gods realm of power. Which is why Havoc, ended up becoming the Avatar of mischeif (under Loki) by not fighting a single fair fight. He went grenade fishing against dolphin man and rigged a whole city block to blow to kill vanguard. He beat uppercut to a pulp by hitting him with a lead pipe from behind in a dark alley. (all his power was built around boxing haymakers and uppercuts, useless when the unconcious uppercut had his hands cuffed behind his back when I dumped his limp body in the worst part of town) See it was like the final 4 if the winning team had just cheated cheated cheated their way into winning.

It was a rough and tumble world too, and though havoc may seem evil, he wasnt... just ruthless. He also swung between the role of villain and hero quite often. It was fun.

So a homemade setting was pretty much my favorite of all time.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite setting...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 07:12:20 PM »
Sounds like x-men meets urban arcana.

I don't know what my favorite would be.  Elric would probably be my favorite published setting, cause its from a book I like, but I've never got to actually play it, and the Chaosium ruleset isn't very good (and their d20 Dragon Lords of Melnibone conversion ruleset was kind of pathetic).  Wheel Of Time might also be cool if you tightened up the rules, fixed all the lame classes, and ignored the books/made it more LotR/DnDish.

A setting based off either a Vampire Huner D or Death Dealer could also beat out Elric, but none exist and I know of nobody who's really tried.  I ran a campaign with 42 based off the Coldfire Trilogy mixed with DnD that turned out kinda okay, not a favorite though.  It did blend into existing DnD stuff insanely easy, practically just standard DnD (and I matched it up surprisingly close to the books), that was a plus.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 07:25:23 PM »
BESM does Hellsing... sort of similar I think...

Just curious, which Elric system do you use?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 07:26:31 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 09:11:06 PM »
Well I think Chaosium does all the Elric stuff (same company who does Call of Cthulhu).  There is Stormbringer that uses the Chaosium system and Dragonlords of Melnibone that uses d20 system (but with funky chaosium rule stuff like the Stormbringer alignment system).  I never have really played it, so I don't use any of them, although I have a few of the books and have read though them.

I heard about the Hellsing RPG, but I've never saw it.  Hellsing is in modern times, Vampire Hunter D is in a sort of neo dark ages.  There is some sci-fi tech still around (primarly made by the vampire overlords who used to rule the earth after the Apocolypse).  Most of the monsters in VHD were genetically engineered by vampires, although most of them are based off real monsteres and fairie creatures that existed in the past (ie werewolves, although D meets a "true" werewolf in book 1 which is a lot stronger then the ones that were made genetically).
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 03:36:49 AM »
Kid_Kilowatt, our old movie/rpg guy, developed a setting for BESM that I thought was absolutely killer. The idea was that the gods had become corrupted, and the act of worshipping could infect you with a communicable curse, like a virus. It's still in our archives, somewhere, and it's just overflowing with cool ideas. Very neat stuff.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

asimoulis

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 08:33:42 AM »
i'm a newbie in this forum and in d&d too...

eberron is really cool...
Currently writing an article for the Korranberg Chronicle...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 08:57:19 AM »
Fell, didn't you guys not play the setting because it was too high fantasy and not anime enough for BESM?

And I don't really have a favourite. I like the setting of the homebrew i'm playing in now, which is being tested by 2 groups for a year of play before the authors try to push it for publishing. I like Eberron. The WoD is fun. The Mythos and 20's america make for interesting gaming. And so on. Depends on what i'm wanting to do/play.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 09:09:06 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Asimoulis, be sure to introduce yourself and read the FAQ.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 04:52:05 PM »
There were probably multiple reasons we didn't play that game, but yes, the lack of anime-ness was a big one. It's like when you're expecting pepperoni and you get Hawaiian--it's still pizza, and it's still good, it's just not what you wanted at the moment.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 06:16:18 AM »
I absolutely love Weryth of The Riddle of Steel. There's just such a diversity of culture and languages across the entire continent that practically anything is possible. I've been playing in it with my regular TROS group for about two years now and we haven't gotten bored with it yet, even though we've really only touched about a quarter of it so far. It's a rough world, loosly based on the medival world where magic is rare and very very dangerous. One of the things I like best about it though is that each country has its own point of view- there aren't any purely good or evil nations, which makes it more realistic.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 11:16:27 AM »
TRoS's setting reminds me of the Warhammer Setting for its paralellism (want to get a good idea of a place?  Read up on your history).

This has its advantages, certainly, though I wasn't particularly impressed with Weryth.

Glad to hear someone else here is enjoying TRoS, though.  =]
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

MPlease

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 01:37:45 PM »
The thing about Weryth that turns a lot of people away is that the book doesn't give you every single detail about the countries. It leaves a lot up to your imagination and what's in the book is really just a framework. I happen to really like being given that flexibility to create anything I like.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 02:40:20 PM »
I was turned off to Riddle of Steel when I tried to learn how to play from the creator of the system and left so confused and frustrated that I could have killed a cat.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 03:26:25 PM »
I'm with you, 42.  The system is insanely complicated to newcomers.  It assumes you start with a very good basic understanding of swordsmanship, or that you analyze the damage charts.  Otherwise, you're likely to get wasted in combat (unless your DM is as inept with a sword as you are).

I think it's a very good system, overall, but there is that bit of a learning curve.

However, I'm not convinced that Weryth is much more than a tRoS rip-off of the Warhammer World world-building concept (and any other major derivative world).

I wonder what Jake is up to these days, anyways.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

MPlease

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 11:27:35 PM »
I believe he's in Iraq at the moment with the Army... that was the last I heard at the very least.