Author Topic: review: Player's Handbook 2  (Read 2134 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: Player's Handbook 2
« on: June 12, 2006, 04:12:42 PM »
reference:  http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1412

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: review: Player's Handbook 2
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 11:19:53 PM »
I got this book too, this is the best book to come out in awhile.  The combat focus feats remind me of the flame and void (from wheel of time).  There is also a lot of high level fighter feats.  But you left out this line that both Harbinger and 42 found that said it is possible to  use a new char sheet if it is getting worn out.  That is some vital info.  heh.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 11:59:35 PM »
I like some of the stuff, but my basic problem with PBHII and DMG II is that it kills the good 3 book dynamic that Wizards had. As much as it pains me to say a PHB 4.0 and a DMG 4.0 might have been a better idea or would have if they hadnt done a 3.5.

Hmm
I'm going to have to weigh this hard and decide if I want to get it.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 01:47:08 AM »
Its really more of a splat book than a new PHB.  I would actually compare it to Complete Adventurer, but with more stuff about roleplaying.  Compared to DMG2 which did basically expand on the DMG, If you liked Complete Adventurer, then you'd probably like it... if you didn't care for complete adventurer, then I wouldn't get it.  Oh, and it has new base classes rather than new prestige classes (I think this was mentioned in the review).

Oh, and I think the whole book is actually not useful to everyone (beginer or expert), mostly b/c it covers such a broad area.  ie if you are wizard, you'll find the new spells useful but not the new fighter  only feats, and if a fighter vica versa.  Or a beginer might find the rp advice more useful than the teamwork benefits, which would be reversed for old time players.  Also there is the laughable line mentioned above, that you can 'treat yourself to a new character sheet' of your old one gets worn out, lol.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 01:52:45 AM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 08:33:09 PM »
but its a splat book new players will want to have, because it gives a lot of new options for characters. Realistically everyone will own it eventually.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 09:03:05 PM »
Possibly. It's greatest failing, perhaps, is that people are not likely to buy it until they've already played for a while, and thus miss out on the usefulness of the newbie stuff.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 09:26:58 PM »
right, exactly the reason they should have reprinted the PHB and added it. Maybe making a PHB Deluxe.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 08:40:46 AM »
I think I disagree, Jeffe. Not *everyone* will own it. A "deluxe" edition would cost more than either book independently. Instead of having to pay $50 for a new book, half of which I have and half of the rest I won't use seems a lot less likely to get my money than charging me a $30 for a book of all new material half of which I will use. Just speaking in terms of economics, a separate book makes much more sense.