Author Topic: Willy Wonka  (Read 3914 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: Willy Wonka
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2005, 10:40:35 PM »
I wonder what it'll be rated.  

Personally, I'm just glad they didn't get Carrey to play Wonka.  Because then I would cry.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 10:41:07 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2005, 12:01:40 AM »
The original book was Charlie and the Chocolate factory, and so is this movie. That would make me think that Willy Wonka is NOT the main character in this movie (in the book, Charlie is the main character).

I didn't really like the old movie. Too creepy.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2005, 12:07:06 AM »
Jeffe:

I can see your reservations, especially knowing that other people looked at for the role included people like Steve Martin and Robin Williams.  Either would have been a disaster, I think.  I don't want to see a silly Wonka; I was to see a disturbing one.

That was kind of why I liked the same scenes that you seem worried about.  I see a kind of 'overly cuteness' to this movie.  Intentionally cute to the point of being twisted.  Wonka's character I see as being very child-like, not Jim Carey-like.  However, there is the gag at the end where he runs into the camera, which could be problematic.

However, I really like the glint of madness I see in Depp's eyes.  

Another bit of trivia (c/o IMDB) says that the screenwriter intentionally didn't watch the old version until he'd finished his screenplay.  He says he thought the old one was darker than his version.  (However, that was probably before the project went to Depp/Burton.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2005, 01:01:06 AM »

As for Jonney Depth's look, the first time I saw it I was reminided of the lead singer of the J-Pop group TM Revolution (I don't care much for the group though).
http://images.google.com/images?q=TM%20revolution&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

Oh my you're right; he looks very j-pop. How disconcerting....
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2005, 01:06:05 AM »
When I first saw this trailer, I jumped up and down and clapped my hands. I think it looks so wonderfully creepy weird. I don't understand the concerns being brought out; that isn't what I got from the trailer at all. As for Johnny Depp, I think he'll be great in this part, though I disliked Gilbert Grape.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 03:50:03 AM »
Sorry, I just find this new movie to be unappealing. Perhaps I'v ehad my fill of dark children's movies or perhaps I'm upset at having my image of Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka being destroyed, either way I need something more to convince me to see this movie.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2005, 09:03:13 AM »
The Gene Wilder one portrayed WOnka as somehow being wise or Bhudda-like. LIke he was aware of reality in a way we never can be and that only children are.

This one looks a little more childish rather than child-like. I'm not sure if I prefer it as an interpretation, but while I thought Depp was an odd choice at first, I'm liking the idea more and more. I think it will be a lot of fun to watch.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2005, 12:02:09 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the movie and am thrilled it will be made after the book, not the last movie.  

But . . . is anyone else freaked out by the way Depp smiles in the trailers?  He looks thinner and very, very scary.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2005, 01:35:37 PM »
If the movie does well, maybe they'll do the sequel with Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.  Now *that* would be cool.  Can you imagine Burton's version of Vermicious Knids?
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2005, 06:18:36 PM »
Very very afraid. And not in a good way. Like in a "too much singing, Johnny Depp looks like an addict in withdrawals, doesn't look like it's funny at all" way. Johnny Depp is good, but I don't know about this one.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2005, 07:01:04 PM »
Since when is this story supposed to be a comedy?  I mean, there are a good deal of humour points in the last movie, but that's not its purpose.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2005, 03:08:55 AM »
I always saw the book as a comedy. Fun, not creepy.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2005, 05:37:54 AM »
I think the new movie looks cool.  Depp looks funny with his perfect teeth compared to the rotting ones he had in Pirates of the Caribbean.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.