Author Topic: Real Life D&D  (Read 3930 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Real Life D&D
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2003, 04:27:14 PM »
Now to move onto the class that best fits each race/country.

Humans(Americans) favor any.

Elves(Continental Europe) favors sorcerer/wizard.

Half-Elves(Britain) favors any.

Gnomes(Japan) favors Rogue/Bard/Monk.

Halflings(Ireland) favors Fighter/Ranger/Bard.

Half orcs(South America) favors Barbarian/Fighter/Cleric.

Dwarves(Australia) favors Fighter/Druid.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2003, 08:31:57 PM »
Jeez, all you Americans are so ethnocentric that I don't know if I should laugh or just shake my head sadly.

I would personally place America as the Dwarves since Americans have a tendency to do whatever they want once an idea gets stuck in their head, no matter if it is a good idea or not, and can't be dissuaded by common sense.

The Irish would be halflings, since they are playful, mercurial, and have a great sense of humor, even if they are forced to grow up in a war zone like Belfast.  They are also in touch with nature and far tougher than they look.

The Brits would be high elves, with their society deeply entrenched in centuries of tradition and their interest in royal bloodlines, and an unconscious tendency to be condecending to those around them.

The Scots are the gnomes, keeping to themselves most of the time, but eager to share drinks and stories with trusted friends, especially if they can get a lil' bit of ca$h in the deal.

The Germans are half-orcs, aggressive and opinionated to the point of boorishness, but they really really know their beer!

The Australians are the wild elves, tenacious and fiesty, who tend to be looked down upon by their parent race (high elves) but are far stronger, tougher, and more resourceful, and not tied down to ancient traditions.

The Africans are the humans, able to adapt to just about any new land without losing their own cultural identity in the mix.

And for the record, I am Australian and my wife is Irish, and neither of us drink.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2003, 09:16:13 PM »
I want you to note that Entropy, who started this, is *not* American.

However, if you want the American perspective:

There is insufficient difference between the British, the Irish, and the Scottish for them to be acknowledged as any different. They must all be the same snobbish elves. You elves may differentiate, but a pointy ear's a pointy ear.

Americans are human, because, well, we're human (and better!).

Canadians are therefore half-elf, because they live near us and use our TV, but they think they're British (fools)

D&D gnomes are more tinkerers than dwarves (who mine), so yeah, I'm going with most of the far east. After all, we can't tell them apart, so they must all be the same.

Russia, our on-again, off-again ally/enemy are dwarves. Because, again, they drink. Also, their stoic, stubborn, and we don't understand them (nor do we probably want to.)

I'm going to put Germans as half orcs, just cuz we have a better memory of WWII than anything else that's ever happened in history.

Africans are halflings, because we more or less ignore anything about Africa, including our own citizens.

As I said before, the Middle East is populated entirely by goblins and kobolds. Because they're warlike but we find it so easy to convince ourselves to kick their trash around a bit (and also easy to execute said kicking).

Which means that South America and the rest of Europe are various orcs, hobgoblins, etc. There are enough "evil" humanoid races that we really don't care about making any distinctions.

You Australians must be fairys. Not because of any "gay" thing. But because your country is supposed to be cool but I don't know if any of us really believe in it.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2003, 01:20:59 AM »
Saint, that was the best one yet. Though I have to say that Slant's take on American Dwarves was probably the most accurate I've heard.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 01:23:09 AM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2003, 06:49:44 AM »
Slant, BWAHAHA.
A question though. How come you say brits are high elves and then say scots are gnomes? You might want to remember that Scots ARE brits.  

Britain = England; North Ireland; Scotland; Wales.

And Ehlers: BWAHAHA.
We get to live longer, have more refined tastes and are better at mobile warfare than you americans. So yeah, we are the elves.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 06:50:45 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2003, 09:06:35 AM »
Entropy, that may be the case, but we're still the dominant race :D

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2003, 09:11:13 AM »
 "And Ehlers: BWAHAHA.
We get to live longer, have more refined tastes and are better at mobile warfare than you americans. So yeah, we are the elves"
[/sup]

I might be wrong, but I thought your country had a considerable shortage of air conditioning, jobs and taste.  Except for the Tea, and I've even heard thats hard to get these days.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2003, 09:19:35 AM »
Its like this

The British are halflings: Because of their propensity for eating, strong beer and pointless every normal person is a hero attitude.

The French are gnomes, after all everyone has to  struggle to figure out the point of their existance.

The Germans and Japanese are Dwarves... Would you ever not use the words fine craftsmanship when dealing with one of their creations.

Belgians and Dutch are Elves because they always want to be left alone but always get their clocks cleaned before france.

Southern Europe,Eastern Europe, South America are mostly human with a high chance of half anythings.

Russians - still Orcs and half Orcs but with a better spin doctor

USA- Half Elf, Halfling, Half Dwarf, Half Hobgoblin, and If you disagree we'll grind your bones into dust.

The rest of the world ....
Ever read Savage Species :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 09:21:20 AM by ElJeffe »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2003, 11:36:00 AM »
I might be wrong, but I thought your country had a considerable shortage of air conditioning, jobs and taste.  Except for the Tea, and I've even heard thats hard to get these days.

???

Why would we need air conditioning? Thats for hot countries.
Jobs... america has a higher unemployment rate at the moment from what i have heard.
Taste... you ever watched american TV? Excuse me, you cannot talk.

And our tea supply is perfectly fine, thank you very much.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2003, 12:05:11 PM »
According to the CIA world fact book, unemployment in the US is 5% and unemployment in the UK is 5.2%.  HA!
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2003, 12:53:33 PM »
Actually, the only time I wanted AC when I was in Europe last summer was in Ireland.  AC is the only true test of civilization (which leaves large portions of Utah out too).

Well... AC  and Sauna. (GO FINLAND!)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2003, 01:11:28 PM »
I cant talk? Oh wrong thing to say buddy. As a citizen of the US I have been exposed to American TV, the bulk of which is much higher quality than anywhere else in the world. In fact I have over 100 channels of shows with just my basic cable service that provide me with hours of information and entertainment. Including The History Channel, The Discovery Channels (4 of them) PBS, Animal Planet, Food Network, and HBO (all produced by American Companies or the Government itself) . Sure some of the stuff on TV is crap but the bulk of it is higher quality in both writing sets and acting. And I watch a lot of British TV thanks to the BBC Americas Channel.  

« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 01:14:17 PM by ElJeffe »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2003, 01:25:06 PM »
Actually, I think Am. TV has the best AND the worst. You doubt? For good, see Jeff's. But then look at this:

Friends
MTV
Survivor
Fear Factor
Joe Millionaire
Who Wants to be a Millionaire
The Comedy Channel
Saturday Night Live
USA network (please!)
and the list goes on....