Author Topic: Well should I buy it?  (Read 2027 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Well should I buy it?
« on: April 23, 2003, 04:10:30 PM »
ok I've got $50 to blow this comming pay check and I've found a Flash MX book that is realy cool.  About 60% of the stuff I know, but the other 40% is realy cool.  I has mathmatical hittest functions so I don't have to use Flash's build in memory muncher, this was I can finish the block game that I posted a while ago but I lagged so much because if that.  As well as several other game engines.  But the coolest thing is it teaches how to set up a muli-play network game useing flash and some pearl.  So that would mean that it might be possible to do something on the forum game.  Sence that was the reason it never got made.
Of course there are plenty of other things calling out to me, such as .hack//sign or Final Fantasty origins.  There are also several DVD's I could buy.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Well should I buy it?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 05:12:43 PM »
Yes!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 05:34:03 PM »
I don't want to be responsible for you spending money in order to do something for the site. If you want to do it, go for it, otherwise just buy whatever you want.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 05:37:19 PM »
we'll I'm buying it for me, I just want to use the site as a place to put my stuff  ;D.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 05:39:39 PM »
Sounds like a plan.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2003, 09:35:52 PM »
I got it and it ROCKS!!!!! Not only does it have the flash code for muitiplayer games but includes a XML software pack that has multi-socketed features for games with multiple people and such.

well I knew it was too good to be true, the XML software only allows for 5 people connected at a time.  While that's not a big deal not sence we rarely have more the that on at a time later on it could be annoying.  I can 'upgrade' to 30 people for $250 but I'm not shelling that out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2003, 10:33:15 PM by Spriggan »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2003, 10:19:01 AM »
yet...  ;D

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2003, 10:34:16 AM »
I'm going to see if Tage can Install the server packet sometime in the next day or two.  Under the user agreement I can have one instance of if per game.  So actualy it's not that bad for now.  I'm not going to pay the cash for their code, unless it was like $30 or something.  42's cousins moved in next door and are both computer gurus but they've never worked on networkable games, I'm going to see if I can get them to help me build a server socket over the summer.  Then I just have to learn XML to build a simple protocol that will let Flash and the server communicate.  It's allwayse better to learn how to do it yourself especialy when people who know how to do it want an insane amount of cash to do it for you.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 11:07:35 AM »
ummm was that english?

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 12:48:56 PM »
Mostly, and I think I understood most of it, too. Sprig, what exactly does installing the server packet involve? It has to run on Unix, mind you.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 12:56:39 PM »
umm not much realy.  the server has to have Java support then you just copy the Unix files to a folder.  I might be able to do it from here but I'm not sure.  I figured I'd talk to you first.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 11:08:15 AM »
well possible good news.  I was found out you can do almost the same thing that java server program did with good ol' PHP 4.2, and you don't need root access.  I'm going to be out of town most this week, but I'll work on it once I get back.