Author Topic: Theres a boat load of movies coming out May 1st  (Read 6173 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Re: Theres a boat load of movies coming out May 1st
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 04:14:07 PM »
How can you be slightly obsessed?

Why would they make a live action movie of a crappy anime?????
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 04:54:59 PM »
9 does look cool.  But I'll wait for it to show up on Rotten before I consider seeing it in the theatre—I have a tendency to avoid paying $9/ticket for anything but real massively major films: stuff like LotR.

Considering a fragment of the movie was nominated for an Oscar a few years ago, I'm willing to give it a shot. Plus, like Ookla said, the cast is seriously impressive.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »
What surprised me was the live action version of "Death Note" that is supposed to be coming up.  The way the series lost focus and started gettting ridiculous with the repeated amnesias and musical notebooks. . . I just never expected a movie to come out of it.

Are you talking about the american remake or the Japanese version?  Because the Japanese ones are really cool.  I actually liked them a lot more then the actual series.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
I did too, it went Manga > live action > anime.

Plus, the guy that played L was hot.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 08:08:27 AM »
You know, I was more into Light.  Although, I loved the doughnut-kabob.  Very funny scene.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 08:13:02 AM »
Meh. Apparently there's copy of Wolverine out for download. My buddy watched it and said the movie completely sux.

I shouldn't be surprised, X-Men 3 made me cry, (except for the "I'm the Juggernaut Bitch!" part, that was classic).

* ErikHolmes waits for Star Trek.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 09:12:43 AM »
X-Men three forced me to buy 1 and 2 separately, so I wouldn't get 3 with them.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 09:29:08 AM »
I can understand that. Stupid Bryan Singer. Superman Returns wasn't half the movie X-Men 3 would have been if he'd just stayed on board and directed it like he was supposed to. Man I'd like to slap him.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 10:46:57 AM »
Viewing screeners is theft.

Someone steals a copy of a book maybe someone buys a new one to replace it.  Screeners just cost actors their royalties.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »
Ah, I'm surprised you buy into that whole "theft" business, Renoard.

If a destitute man sees a loaf of bread, and knows how to turn that loaf of bread into two so he can take one to feed himself and his family, the only thing he's "stolen" is an opportunity that wasn't even there in the first place.

But the bread is still there, and as such has not been "stolen".

That said, it's always good to (financially) support works of art that you find value in.

…which is probably why I almost never see films in the theatres.  They're worth my netflix subscription, but not the ticket price…
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:44:59 AM by The Jade Knight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »
That turn of phrase reminds me of something:

Proverbs 6:30,31 Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry; But if he be caught, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give all the substance of his house.

;D

In general I can't tolerate a thief, or a liar. Screeners and warez don't put bread on a hungry man's table they steal bread from hard working professionals.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »
Yes, a thief takes something away.  Filesharing takes nothing but opportunities away.

If you had an opportunity to attend a concert, but then the tickets sold out, and you lost your opportunity, you'd hardly call anyone a thief.  Certainly, it might suck for you, if you'd wanted to attend that concert.  But those that deprived you of that opportunity are not thieves.

Several independent studies have determined that filesharing's economic impact on the music business has been (depending on the study) somewhere between negligible and almost negligible.

Here's an overview one such study which was published in the Journal of Political Economy: http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/02/8813.ars

And here's a copy of the study itself:  http://www.unc.edu/~cigar/papers/JPE%2031618%20FileSharing%202006-12-12.pdf

Note that this study uses empirical methodology (as opposed to subjective and unreliable survey-based or purely speculative methods).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:45:17 PM by The Jade Knight »

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 08:41:03 PM »
Ah, I'm surprised you buy into that whole "theft" business, Renoard.

If a destitute man sees a loaf of bread, and knows how to turn that loaf of bread into two so he can take one to feed himself and his family, the only thing he's "stolen" is an opportunity that wasn't even there in the first place.

But the bread is still there, and as such has not been "stolen".

...And then, that poor man makes another copy of that bread, uploads it onto Torrent, and shares it with the other destitute men and women of the world!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »
...And then, that poor man makes another copy of that bread, uploads it onto Torrent, and shares it with the other destitute men and women of the world!

World hunger solved!

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »
No!!!!

The Dreaded Copyright thread! Lock it! Lock it!