Author Topic: Jedi Knight 2 Multiplayer  (Read 1752 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Jedi Knight 2 Multiplayer
« on: March 29, 2003, 07:25:46 PM »
Interesting. I have been engaging in lightsabre (low force) games online, and noticed a few interesting things about the behaviour of people on the server. Maybe it was just because it was a UK server.

1) There are 3 groups of people. Those that always duel, those that never duel and those that are halfway. Extremes are very common - on a server with 16 people, 5 or 6 will be either no duel or all duel. In JK2 a Duel is when you are locking into combat with a single opponent and cannot harm, or be harmed, by other players. The non duelers go for big melees.

2) When dueling, people follow a procedure. first the duel is arranged (each player presses "K") then they go to a big open space. Each player moves a discreet distance away, and bows (look down, crouch). This is followed by each person unholstering teh lightsabre (always in strong mode) and then then begin attacking. JK2 has its own rituals.

3) There are areas on each map set aside for melee and duels. This is never discussed, it just happens. The melee people grab the big spaces, and the duelers stand on the outskirts of this, and arrange duels that are fought in side areas.

4) If a player has his lightsabre away, he can be reasonably sure that he can move around without being attacked. Duellers will ignore anyone who does not press K at them, and the meleers generally also ignore anyone who is not in combat stance.

My point? For some reason, JK2 seems to be an exception to the usual rule of attacking on sight. Mind you, this was on a Free For All server - its probably different on a CTF server.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Jedi Knight 2 Multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 09:17:56 PM »
Hey, now that sounds like fun. I played through the JK2 SP experience, and had fun. But only got to play with bots in multiplayer. Seems like much fun could be found online. But alas, I am without broadband. I have but a simple 56k modem. Do not pity me though. I have grown to both hate and love it. What you get I may never know, but what I have you will always cherish. ....I'm such a sap...
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 03:16:36 PM »
On Penny Arcade a while ago they talked about dueling in Jedi Knight, and they said it was their custom to see who could whip out their lightsaber at the last possible minute. I always thought that sounded fun to watch.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 02:28:21 AM »
Wow, this really makes me want to play JK2.  Honorable multiplayer...I thought that didn't exist.

Dueling sounds like an absolute hoot.  Though I hope the lightsaber control is a little better than in the first JK.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2003, 05:28:43 AM »
Ooooh yes. Much better. JK was just a trick of hitting the mouse button faster. JK2 has a lot of strategy involved in the swings - its very difficult to land a blow, and when you do it is usually a graze so takes like 5 health away. The trick is to land solid, head to groin slashes. Those do like 130 damage. Damn difficult to hit though, since everyone dodges it.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch