Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37625 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »
They have a membrane they can breathe through.  Skin is just a more vernacular term for anything that holds the insides in.
I don't think they have a membrane either.  Or insides.  I think they're completely disembodied.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »
They have a membrane they can breathe through.  Skin is just a more vernacular term for anything that holds the insides in.
I don't think they have a membrane either.  Or insides.  I think they're completely disembodied.
There has to be something that holds them together otherwise they would just be. . . liquid.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »
There has to be something that holds them together otherwise they would just be. . . liquid.

I don't think they have any physical form at all, whether liquid, solid, or gas.  I think that (unless under a contract, of course) their existence is purely spiritual.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2008, 07:06:56 PM »

I don't think they have any physical form at all, whether liquid, solid, or gas.  I think that (unless under a contract, of course) their existence is purely spiritual.
That seems a bit far'fetched to me.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »
Wow this thread exploded. I would think that kandra have some physical form. They are said to devour the victims body in order to use the parts for the new form. If they are related to mist wraiths than we already know "they" have some sort of form. They as in mist wraiths.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2008, 08:01:33 PM »
They are said to devour the victims body in order to use the parts for the new form.

That poses a problem for my theory.  I was just assuming that they use their current victim's digestive tract to devour their new victim, but I was forgetting to account for how they would digest their first victim (or their first victim after being on vacation).  As for mistwraiths, I was assuming that the form they have comes entirely from the bodies they've eaten.  You've definitely poked a hole in my theory; I'll have to re-think.
He ate my horse.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2008, 08:28:33 PM »
Hmm... Why would TLR, who was destroying all religions except his own, let the Kandra have one?

I thought I would get back to this question and posit my theories. First, their religion is only based upon humans destroying themselves and not about a savior arrising to free them all so his rule would not be threatened. Second, they probably didn't write down their religious beliefs or store them in metal minds, instead passing it down as lore. This is important because then Ruin wouldn't be able to manipulate their religion to it's own ends.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2008, 08:39:05 PM »
In reality we don't know what the kandra religion involves. We do know that the religion has something to do with the end of human life but we know nothing else. Seeing how we have no real knowledge about how kandra live we cant really make any assumptions on how they store their knowledge either. I find the topic to be a little to lacking  to make any real guesses.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »
In reality we don't know what the kandra religion involves. We do know that the religion has something to do with the end of human life but we know nothing else. Seeing how we have no real knowledge about how kandra live we cant really make any assumptions on how they store their knowledge either. I find the topic to be a little to lacking  to make any real guesses.

Can you point me to the area that says Kandra religion has been around from the beginning and that it hasn't been altered?
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:41 PM »
Let me do some skimming and see if I can find it for you.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2008, 01:15:59 AM »
I'd like to add here that Brandon mentions in his annotations that the beliefs listed in MB2 for Kandra are not central to their belief system; they are parts that float on the edges, part of the lore, but not the thrust of the lore.  As far as I can tell, every belief system (including most forms of atheism) have some of these; often they can be abandoned without loosing the core of the system as a whole.

I actually expect that they know something about Ruin and Preservation.  That sounds much more central.  Of course, how they know---that's another question entirely.  Maybe after the Lord Ruler lost interest in them they learned something from humans?  Or maybe they got it from themselves somehow?  Prophecy may be possible in this world; maybe Kandra can prophesy?

Isn't one of the most important questions "Did the Lord Ruler really create the Kandra?"  Maybe they were humans before being changed.  We don't know the limits of the power used to remake the world.  Are mass and energy conserved?  If so, then the Kandra were made out of something; it may have been "clay" (inanimate matter), but it may also have been out of living creatures.  Ditto for the Koloss.  Those creatures are just darn weird, both of them.

So many questions.  So little answers.  Curse you Ookla!
Nature hates being reified.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2008, 04:58:04 AM »
Kandra kill each other when their master orders them too. Zane had TenSoon kill Oreseur so he could take his place. It's a safe guard in the contract, since people don't know how to kill Kandra.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2008, 05:25:53 AM »
Kandra kill each other when their master orders them too. Zane had TenSoon kill Oreseur so he could take his place. It's a safe guard in the contract, since people don't know how to kill Kandra.
But do they actually KILL the other Kandra or just send them home?  They are afraid of Mistborn because of what Mistborn can do, not afraid of other Kandra.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2008, 10:50:37 PM »
none of this matters at all because, I, unfortunately, am the Hero of Ages.

i know, the announcement is a shock to some.  an inevitability to others.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2008, 12:11:30 AM »
none of this matters at all because, I, unfortunately, am the Hero of Ages.

i know, the announcement is a shock to some.  an inevitability to others.

then a gentle whisper tells him, when he fails another will finish his work, most likely the very next poster

Yes, that is a shock to me. Now how can I explain hearing a thumping/pulsing sound off to the north?
moustaches on the other.