Games > Role-Playing Games

real world vs fantastic worlds

<< < (2/4) > >>

Entsuropi:
well... if he is a swiss herdsman's hut, which is what a online dictionary says he is, then the answer is "he doesnt".
if, however, he is a limo driver (car doesnt matter) then it could happen lots of ways. his boss is a cultist, his sister gets pregnant by a deep one (yummy!), he sees a Bykahee, he stumbles across a cultist hideout... anything really. how does a dwarf become an adventurer? same question.

House of Mustard:
A cross between a chauffeur and a valet?

42:
Well, I have to agree with Kid a little. CoC is very fantastical. However, At the start of CoC it is usually very realistic and then it becomes fantastical as it progresses. About mid way it is as bizarre and fantastic as any D&D campaign. There is really just a sort of learning curve difference between the two systems.

Slant:
I think the reason CoC is so appealing is because we can imagine it happening right in our own back yards.  Sauron can't come and threaten your shopping mall, but Great Cthulhu is certainly able to send his unspeakable minions scuttling up onto Miami Beach.  Where typical fantasy might as well take place on a planet a thousand light years away and a zillion years ago, CoC is much more up close and personal.

Oh, and there are some pretty cool non-traditional fantasy worlds out there.  I still love Talislanta (now in it's fourth edition, a huge hardbound book), which reads like tha bastard child of George Lucas and Lord Dunsenay.  Dying Earth is another incredible game with a background that makes it a true role-player's dream and a very original rules system.  Oathbound is another newer game that is little known, but a lot of fun and worth taking a look at.  And I don't care what anybody else says: Star Wars isn't sci-fi; it is epic sword and sorcery fantasy that just happens to be set in space.  Try playing it with a more fantastical twist and you might have something more than you ever thought possible.  Hope this helps.

42:
I think most of the people in this forum will agree that Star Wars is not science fiction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version