Author Topic: Sky Captian and the World of Tomorrow  (Read 6629 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Sky Captian and the World of Tomorrow
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2004, 11:42:04 AM »
I thought I already did that. You and your stupid clones.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2004, 11:55:01 AM »
EUOL -- I don't mean to use the word 'escapism' perjoratively.  I use the term simply to describe a movie that is enjoyed (perhaps greatly enjoyed) but not something that is necessarily life-changing.  Personally, I think the books that I write are escapism: something that is fun and entertaining-- something that might touch on moral values or deeper issues, but ultimately is just an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.  

There's nothing wrong with escapism.  (And I'm certainly not implying that Fifth Element is escapism simply because it's science fiction.)  But, in my opinion, a story (book or movie) can't really be "great" unless it has an emotional impact, derived from personal attachment to the story/characters.

Granted, that's my opinion.

If you're going to watch a movie and judge it based primarily on plot, then what in the devil are you doing watching a movie?  Go read a book.  I watch movies for the OTHER things they can provide.  Yes, plot is important, but it's only one element out of a dozen or so.  

That's true -- you can't judge a movie solely on plot.  But, a weak plot is a weak plot, no matter what else is good.  In business we always hear the phrase that a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and it applies here too.  The Fifth Element is not some art house flick, made for the sole purpose of having beautiful cinematography and visual granduer.  Sure, they obviously focused on those things, and did a good job, but that's not how it was sold to the public, and that's not (I'm sure) how it was sold to the studio.  If they wanted a plotless art piece, then they should have made one.  Instead, they made a very artistic movie, with a ho-hum plot.

Fell suggested:
while a movie should consider story and visuals equally, some movies are appreciable for one over the other

Like I said: The Fifth Element was not some experimental piece of art.  If the creators meant it that way, they failed to tell anybody about it.  It was sold and advertised as a sci-fi action movie.  People did not go into the theater expecting an art show.  

As you yourself once told me, EUOL, sci-fi is (generally) plot-based.  Yes, maybe this one was not plot-based.  But that's not what people were expecting, and that's not how it was sold.

(And honestly, with the exception of one scene, I don't remember it being all that visually fantastic.  I'll have to go back and watch it.)
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2004, 09:08:44 PM »
Dude - Milla Jocavich. That White thing. If that isn't visually fantastic, I don't know what is.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2004, 09:24:58 PM »
How about that same costume on Jennifer Connelly? Now that would be visually fantastic.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2004, 10:32:02 PM »
Wasn't she the chick from Requiem for a Dream? That could work, actually.

On a side note, I once went out with a Jenna Conolly. I kid you not. Even though I was seven years old at the time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 10:33:44 PM by JamPaladin »
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2004, 11:09:26 AM »
If that isn't visually fantastic, I don't know what is.

I think I'm beginning to get it!
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2004, 11:24:57 AM »
  I have been drooling/waiting for this flick since the first trailers last year. I don't often get tingly when I see a trailer, but this one did it for me.
 I know this movie is not going to let me down. How can you go wrong with giant robots, dogfights, mysterious assassins and ray guns? Even if this turns out to be the suckiest movie that ever sucked I am still going to love it at least for the visuals.
 While we're talking about pulp flicks and my darling Jenny, what's everyones thoughts on Rocketeer?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2004, 11:33:27 AM »
I remember enjoying it. I mean, nazi badguys just so you have an easily recognizable enemy you don't have to explain or condemn in film? I'm all over that.

However, it's been a whiel since I've sat down with it. It's probably one my wife would watch with me though, so perhaps it's time for a rental.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2004, 02:53:33 AM »
I loved Rocketeer when I saw it in the theater. Been awhile.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2004, 11:40:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure I heard during one of the trailers on TV that this movie was touted as being "The new way you'll look at movies."
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2004, 01:37:47 PM »
The initial reviews for Sky Captain are favorable.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2004, 07:25:30 PM »
um I'm going to see sky captain on the day it comes out(my birthday) you guys want I me to write a review?
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2004, 02:16:40 PM »
The trailer I saw last night had a reviewer quote something to the effect of if you don't like this movie, then you don't like movies.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2004, 02:40:42 PM »
yes, because, y'know, my esteem is based on the opinions of reviewers whom I disrespect.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2004, 06:50:50 PM »
Well, the buzz around around this movie has it as the next Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. There is already talks of it's run for the Best Picture Oscar.

So do I go with several reviewers are saying and go see the movie, or do I go with SE's gut instinct. Sorry, SE, maybe I'm just weak, but I'm going with the reviewers, at least for now. You could be right, but you're just one guy.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.