Author Topic: LOTR RTK super massive extended edition  (Read 5938 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: LOTR RTK super massive extended edition
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 07:27:13 AM »
I hope the remove the lame movie ending to the main battle.  That ending is why ROTK dosn't rank in my top 25 movies, the whole "Undead horde that kills everyone just in time" ruined the whole conflict.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 07:57:36 AM »
the whole undead horde thing is kind of more dramatic in the books. Partly because the reader is led slightly to believe that they are aligned with Mordor when they first arrive before Aragorn makes his appearance.

Course, he horde of undead only save Minis Tirith, there are more battles after that.

Course, Tolkien applies a lot of Deus ex Machina stuff in his writing. It kind of goes with the themes that if you have faith and hope (in a higher being and in the order of the universe) everything will work out no matter how bad things get.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 09:23:01 AM »
yay for extended editions!

My in-laws have rented a beach house over christmas. We'll be spending close to a week there. one day is set aside just for a Lord of the Rings Marathon. indeed.

As for the scouring of the shire, let me start off by saying that I thought it was a great story. It revealed a lot about what the characters had become.

However, the bigger crime is the fact that Saruman doesn't show up again. at all. Grima should have thrown the palantir at the fellowship like in the book. There's really no reason for that palantir to be in the water down there, since the tower itself was untouched.

Now, as much as I like the Scouring, I think Jackson did an excellent ending, thematically. It's a bit too slow for me though. It is much more subtle int he way it reveals the character changes in the hobbits of the fellowship, but it still does it. What's more, it shows more powerfully that the war, which changed Merry, Pippin, Frodo and Sam so entirely, was fought to preserve the old ways. Hobbits as a whole don't go in for heroism, and since it was all secret, the hobbits of the shire have NO comprehension what these four have done for them. THey admire the pumpkin more than they respect the fellowship's efforts, because they don't understand that without those efforts, there would BE no pumpkin. It deepens the fellowship's sacrifice, because they can never be what they were before, never be seen as the same. They changed themselves from what they loved in order to preserve what they loved.

And it took less time. Frankly, I think he handled it the best way one could expect it to be handled in a film. Yeah, I miss the scouring, but I don't think Jackson erred when choosing not to film it -- though I may disagree with his reasons for doing so.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 10:08:04 AM »
the whole undead horde thing is kind of more dramatic in the books. Partly because the reader is led slightly to believe that they are aligned with Mordor when they first arrive before Aragorn makes his appearance.

Well and also because the whole horde thing happens in a battle that takes place to the south... away from Minus Tirith and the Horde disbands before the battle.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 12:08:11 PM »
All that happens in the book is that the undead horde of doom boat-jacks the raiders working for mordor, and aragorn rallies every man who can carry a weapon, see lightning and hear thunder and sails up to minias tirith. The undead never go near the city in the book. And the Rohirrim charge stalled and turned into an encircled last stand.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2004, 04:21:37 AM »
Newsweek article says we see Saruman's death on the DVD.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2004, 11:55:31 PM »
Entertainment Weekly gives RotK EE an "A." You can hear the reviewer's smug sigh of contentment two pages away.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 03:00:01 PM »
Running Time: Approx. 250 min.

Yes. I hold it in my very hands. It is a thing of beauty.

Too bad I won't get to start watching it for another 6 hours.

We actually bought the collector's box set this time, so I have my Minas Tirith box thingy. I'm keeping action figure weapons in it and keep it on my window shelf at work.

Happy Christmas to MEEEEE!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2004, 03:11:32 PM »
cool I so know it will be worth it.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2004, 04:15:53 PM »
This is such a bittersweet time of year, because I always know that my wife is getting me the newest LotR extended edition, and yet that means I can't actually watch it for two more weeks.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 04:25:11 PM »
see, my wife fears my compulsive shopping habits. I get it on release day because she's worried I'll go out and buy it otherwise.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2004, 04:45:23 PM »
fear the ADD addled consumerist!!!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2004, 11:32:21 PM »
This is such a bittersweet time of year, because I always know that my wife is getting me the newest LotR extended edition, and yet that means I can't actually watch it for two more weeks.

And that;'s why today's FoxTrot was written for you.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 03:57:50 AM »
I had totally and utterly forgotten about Foxtrot! So I looked at the website.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 09:13:16 AM »
I have failed as a fan boy. I was so tired after disc 1 that I went to bed. I'll see the rest tonight.

But it's REALLY COOL. My brother-in-law and I agree that we're enjoying it even more than the standard.

Some things to expect. Don't worry, these aren't spoilers:

The finding of the palantir at Isengard makes sense. The additions there are the best I've seen so far, imo. He works out the theme of redemption and fall, possibly even better than TOlkien did with that scene.

Most added bits are a few lines here and there. Only a few were unnecessary. (No one really needs to see Gimli embarassed by Legolas further).

The beginning of the battle at Inithilian (sp? the city over by the river) flows better.

More Faramir/Dad interaction.

There's even more material at the battle of Minas Tirith. If it was too much for you before, you'll be torqued. I, however, like what I'm seeing.

Disc 1 ends at Minas Tirith when they're getting ready to knock in the front gate

So far, I'm very pleased.