Author Topic: LOTR RTK super massive extended edition  (Read 5936 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
LOTR RTK super massive extended edition
« on: December 09, 2004, 06:45:28 PM »
I've been waiting for this even though Im not sure just how much more they can cram into it (almost 4 hours seemed pretty good). Any idea how much was cut...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: LOTR RTK super massive extended edition
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 09:06:40 PM »
I think 50 minutes is the number I've heard.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 09:09:01 PM »
it boggles the imagination doesnt it... well since Im watching it alone my wife will be happy.  Still I hope they built in an intermission

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 09:46:42 PM »
I personally hope that they put the real ending back in. That was my favorite part of the book.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 09:51:40 PM »
That I know for a fact is not in the movie, Jackson didnt like that ending...

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 10:02:09 PM »
Real ending? Eh. I thought they had that in the theatrical version? Its been years since i read the books.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 10:20:41 PM »
he means the scouring of the shire

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 10:21:08 PM »
Nope

mod: I didnt see your post Jeffe

*****ROTK BOOK SPOILERS*******

when they come back to the Shire in the book, it is ruled over by Saruman, who completely ruined it, and enslaved the hobbits. Merry, Pippin, Sam, and Frodo come back and they start setting everything straight. It takes years, but everything eventually gets back to normal.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 10:22:22 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 10:35:22 PM »
Yeah, Jackson felt that that was a little too anticlimactic for a movie. Besides the whole scouring is an effort to show how Frodo's companions have grown individually. (Frodo doesnt really do too much) Remember that in the books all the Hobbit companions of the Ringbearers and Sam too become very important people in the Shire and even in Minus Tirith. Basically though the end of the novel is neatly summed up by the final elfin ship sailing off into the west. I actually liked the touch where the end of the movie is faithful to the last paragraph of the novel.
Very nice and succinct.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 11:39:46 PM »
Oh, that. It works better without imo. It would simply take too long otherwise.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 12:13:02 AM »
Agreed!  I find the scouring of the Shire to be one of Tolkien's only big narrative mistakes.  It was terribly anticlimactic.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 12:23:11 AM »
It's that whole thing about having once gotten the denoument started, you can't start some new action. It seemed so tacked-on to me. It's been a few years since I've read the books, though.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 01:16:33 AM »
I dont know, from a literary standpoint I really liked the scouring, it did a good job of bringing things back full circle, to the point that there could be an actual ending. I liked that it showed that everything that happend had consequences, and that the shire was not untouched by the horrors of war. This is important because the Shire is purposefully a stagnant place. Nothing changed there for a long time, at least since Smegol or Deagol. The nature of the ring, and I think its very presence in the shire made sure that none of the places purity survived the war of the ring untouched, not Frodo, not Samwise, or Pippen and Merry, not Bilbo. The whole of Middle Earth was turned upside down in the Rings wake Rohan lost its King, Gondor lay in Ruin, in the appedicies we see that Rivendel and even Lonely mountain are assaulted by the forces of evil and left in ruin, as a result the fairest and purest beings of middle earth, the elves are leaving middle earth forever. The magic had gone out of the world. The scouring, makes a good transition to our age, one where mundanity and barbarity intermingle. Its also one of the few battles fought by the free people without any magical aid, no Gandalf, no Aduril, or ancient pacts, Just 4 brave and tired Hobbits to worldly to let anyone cow them into submission, to brave to quit. Remember its many years after the war that Frodo finally passes into the west. I liked that too, and it says a lot about Tolkein, I think a big part of him got left on Flanders Field, in "No Mans Land" and he never did find a way to reconnect with the world in the same way he had before. I think Tolkein had a bit of Frodo and Sam in him, but obviously more Sam. His point is very salient though, adventures dont leave us unchanged, life is a process of change. Problems that may have once been great before an adventure do not seem so great after, and that nothing is stays the same.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 01:20:41 AM »
I also think he wrote the scouring to ensure that there would never be a sequel to the trilogy by giving it several resolutions at once. It makes it seem very permenant.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 06:40:42 AM »
The scope of LotR kind of merits having multiple endings, but is also so problematic.

I kind of see the scouring of the shire as almost a appendix story. It does have some relevence to the larger story, but not enough to merit being part of the larger narrative. If that makes sense.

Except for the distance problem, it would be great tacked onto the heels of the battle in front of the gates of Mordor. Maybe if the eagles would have dropped the hobbits there instead of Minis Tirith. Epic stories really do have a problem with tying up all the appropriate ends.

At least it not like Robert Jordan where he's just left most of his story-lines and really doesn't seem like he's going to wrap-up any of the stories completely.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.