Author Topic: The Incredibles DVD  (Read 4333 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: The Incredibles DVD
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2005, 06:15:29 PM »
I would have to side with Jeffe.
If they wanted it to look real, then they should have gotten real actors and just let cgi do the special effects stuff. Illussionary imitation can only be taken so far before it becomes irritating.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2005, 08:43:48 PM »
Thank you 42, you said exactly what I want to say about The Incredibles but much more succinctly than I could have managed.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2005, 01:12:02 PM »
I liked the Incredibles, but do have one beef.  Why doesn't  Disney put widescreen and full screen on the same disc?  They did that with TS 1 and 2.  I bought the wrong one not even thinking they wouldn't have both versions.  The back of the full screen says, "full screen for family friendly viewing".  What does that mean exactly?  Does widescreen cause familial strife?  

I give negative Karma to Disney for doing that, and positive Karma to Wal-Mart for taking it back and exchanging it (I had to look all over to finally find a Widescreen.  Nobody wants the 'family friendly viewing".
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2005, 01:24:43 PM »
which is EXACTLy why they put "Family Friendly Viewing" on widescreen, to justify making it.

I don't want it on both discs, actually, it annoyed me that Napolean Dynamite did, because it was hard to tell which side was which. Plus I'm only ever going to watch one.

Plus, I'd imagine that the pressing costs are higher for double-sided discs like that.

My advice is read the front for the screen type first.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2005, 02:17:19 PM »
Monster's Inc has them both on the same side of the same disc, which is nice. My Ladyhawke DVD does the double-sided thing, and I can never figure out which side is which.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2005, 02:24:50 PM »
Are you all blind? They put the word "Widescreen" and "Full-Screen" on the inner ring of the disc on whichever side the format is on. My word.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2005, 02:35:22 PM »
yes, unless it's mislabeled (not uncommon) or illegible (also quite frequent).

Also, if there's data on both sides, you can't lay it down anywhere without risking damage to the data. Yes, I could lay it down on the full-screen side (which I don't watch) except that usually they put some of the special featues on both sides, which is annoying.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 02:36:43 PM »
I've never had that happen where I couldn't read it, nor mislabeled. You're just all being silly paranoid geeks.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 02:37:17 PM »
maybe you're just a ... a ... a jerk!

Incidentally, my mom's Napolean Dynamite is almost both problems. It's barely legible and it turned out to be mislabeled. So it does happen, and it annoys me.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 03:05:52 PM »
Actually I heard a while back that the labelled side of CDs is easier to damage than the bottom side, since they stick some protections on the bottom but not the top.

Besides, I leave my CDs lying around out of their cases for weeks on end and nothing bad happens.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2005, 03:15:27 PM »
uhm... I don't know where you heard it, but it's wrong.
a surface scratch on the data side will affect the way light bounces off the data encoding -- which is how the data is read.
A surface scratch on the label may be easier to make, but it won't affect the usability of the disc unless it is pretty darn deep.

not all scratches noticeably affect the performance of the disc. And leaving it in one place for days isn't when it happens, it's when they get moved that possible scratches come. I just like to take care of my media. If they don't go directly in the case, they go label down.
I used to think the same thing: I kept all my CDs in those notebooks. After years of being pulled in and out, many of them have quite noticeable performance degradation. I'd prefer that not happen to my DVDs.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2005, 03:17:43 PM »
Actually, the label side is the side where the data is actually stored.  Label-datalayer-protective plastic disc that they are glued to.

It's hard to get through the disk (although a scratch will screw up the optical properties)  But scratch the label and you're right on the data.  Screw that up and you can't polish it back into useability.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2005, 03:19:24 PM »
most scratches are merely surface scratches, though. Nearly all of them. And a surface scratch does NOT get down to the data. A surface scratch on the side that's read may not screw up the data, but it screws up your access to the data... potato potahto.

You have a much reduced chance of damaging the usability of your CD with a scratch on the label side than the data side.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2005, 03:34:03 PM »
Not so.  The actual data is more vulnerable from the label side. You can fix scratches on the plastic side, not so on the data itself.

Not Potato Potahto. :P
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2005, 03:38:41 PM »
you can fix SOME surface scratches. Go take a computer hardware course: any instructor worth his salt will tell you the same thing: if you place a CD on the counter, put the label side down.