Author Topic: The Incredibles DVD  (Read 4330 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
The Incredibles DVD
« on: March 16, 2005, 01:42:11 PM »
Read it here: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1008

In my opinion, the characters and story in Spider-man 2 kicked The Incredibles in the butt, but there's no shame being beaten by the best. The Incredibles is still an awesome movie, and the DVD sounds cool.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: The Incredibles DVD
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 03:00:31 PM »
yeah, stating that the Incredibles beats Spidey 2 hands down is a bit of an exaggeration, but it in the same league, so making the claim isn't laughable at all. This was a way cool movie, and I want to get my claws in that DVD very soon.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 07:19:13 PM »
The Incredibles has such a generic story and characters, thouh it's done well, the move was fun to see in the theater but I won't be buying the DVD.  Like Finding Nemo it's a one time only move for me, though it wasn't as boreing as Nemo, the move just dosen't intrest me much and I've seen better, much better (especially in the CG front).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 07:22:04 PM »
I'm interested to see what you hold up as an example of better on the CG front.

?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 07:42:04 PM »
Both Toy Stories, Monster's Inc, and probably Bug's Life. Not necessarily better CG (I don't think he was saying that), but better stories. I really like The Incredibles, and I appreciate that they're trying to do something a little more mature, but I don't think the story was as layered, as well-paced, or as approachable on as many levels as some of their past stuff. It's a definite step up from Nemo, though, and still better than anything any other studio has done recently.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 07:57:55 PM »
actualy yes I was saying better CG.  Bothing Final Fantasy 8 and 10 were better in the graphics front and so was the movie.  I also think the last few star wars and LoTR movies had better CG.  Incredibles isn't bad on the CG front, but fairly adverage for what's been going on for years, Remeber this medium didn't start with Pixar nor does it end with it.

In tearms of story ya, Both Toystories and Monsters Inc were much better.  Never really cared for Bugs Life though, but I've only seen
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 08:05:31 PM »
I would put The Incredibles at the top of that list, if only because it wasn't as ridden with camp.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all those films nearly as much as I enjoyed TI, they were just far more aware of themselves as "Animated" films.

I think TI is the first film I've seen that just told a story about people in a world that could be realized most seamlessly as animation.

Neither Toy Story was about real people, they were both about pseudo-people, toys, who didn't have the depth or the expectations of depth that real people have.  Monsters Inc and A Bugs life weren't about people either.

TI was primarily a story about a family and the individuals in it and around it.  And it was a good story.  Very self-contained.

The animation itself, IMO, is the best I've ever seen.  Not because it's flashier than others out there or with as many polygons.  It wasn't and didn't have'em.  But because it was a slave to the story.  They worked within the medium rather than pushing it.  

I think Polar Express, for example, would have been a much better film if they hadn't insisted on shooting at the "totally human" mark.  If you want your characters to look totally human, (with the state of the technology today anyway) use humans.  Polar Express missed the human mark and the result was kind of spooky.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 08:11:10 PM »
actualy yes I was saying better CG.  Bothing Final Fantasy 8 and 10 were better in the graphics front and so was the movie.  I also think the last few star wars and LoTR movies had better CG.  Incredibles isn't bad on the CG front, but fairly adverage for what's been going on for years, Remeber this medium didn't start with Pixar nor does it end with it.

In tearms of story ya, Both Toystories and Monsters Inc were much better.  Never really cared for Bugs Life though, but I've only seen

I can't speak to the  games but as for the FF movie.  It may have had more polygons and been "shinier" but the director/producer really misused the medium in my opinion. He tried so hard to make it look like a live action, especially with the people, that he jerked me out of the story a bunch of times.  I'd be sitting there, just recovering from the last continuity break watching the main character have a contemplative moment and we'd cut to a view of this glassy doll-eye and, just for a moment I'd be thinking "What the hell...?" before I realized he was doing a "closeup" shot on his CG character.  The story was utter crap so that may have colored my perception
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 08:11:44 PM by Skar »

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »
I'm not argueing the use of the medium I'm just argueing the quality of the animation itself.  Though if you want to see something that will make all the movies listed here look inferior just check out Square's latest movie.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dvd/ff7ac/

*drool

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 08:27:03 PM »
I'll have to agree with Sprig about the animation.  Pixar is great--but FF has better graphics.  (Though that's the only thing it really has going for it...)  

Pixar just can't make people look right.  The people in Toy story were downright eerie to me.  They got around this in the Incredibles by making the characters far more deformed, but the movie wasn't as beautiful as many.  (Even Nemo, I think, was more visually appealing.)

However, story-wise, I'm going to put Incredibles up there much higher than I think Sprig is giving it credit.  I actually think I liked its characters better than Spiderman.  There was some really solid storytelling here, in my opinion, with regards to character sympathy and growth.

And, of course, its action, acting, and comedic values were excellent.

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 08:34:49 PM »
I'm not saying it isn't well done, or have a good story, it's just generic.  I guess it's sounding like that because I'm saying there are better things out there, that dosen't mean it's not better then most things.  Incredibles is a good movie, but it's not one I'll be adding to my collection any time soon.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 08:53:19 PM »
I'm actually kind of surprised at your reactions. Do you (EUOL and Sprig) think Pixar was trying to have the characters look realistic?

I also think you are missing a lot of the details, which is Pixar's strong suit. Most CGI the clothes and hair looks painted on, but in TI they went to a lot of effort to move past that.

I picked up the DVD yesterday at Walmart for $14.87. I don't know if they still have it at that price, but my dad took the ad to Circuit City and got them to beat the price. Just an idea for those who, like me, have a hard time paying $20 for any movie.

EDIT: All the Special Features watched and only one commentary to go.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 08:56:00 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 08:59:16 PM »
ya I know it's styleized, but the reveiwers more or less stated it was revolutionary which its not.  I don't have a problem with the look of them (though I agree with EUOL's toystory comment), and think they fit the movie but it's not "soaring to new heights in technology" as the reveiw said.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 09:11:36 PM »
I don't know that I would ever say that Toy Story (the first one) or Bug's Life, or anything Dreamworks has done has a story remotely as well executed as The Incredibles. Even Shrek's reversal of the monster/hero isn't nearly as interesting as the hounded heroes in TI (and that's if you found Shrek interesting, which I would have been fine only seeing half of, no desire to see it again).

Incredibles was, as Skar said, self contained, yet remarkable well-informed and intelligent in it's awareness of it's context: both socially and literarily. The makers knew what informed their genre and story, and they acknowledged it at almost every turn, yet unlike even giants like TS Elliot, they did it without forcing you to read footnotes to understand it. If you'd never read a single comic book in your life, you could follow what was going on and get a lot of entertainment out of it. but if you'd read comics, esp the greats like major events in the Fantastic Four, The Flash, the X-Men, Superman, and the Watchmen, the more layers you get out of it.

And teh animation was more than appropriate. I'll agree that maybe it wasn't groundbreaking (I'm not an expert on animation technology, and I'll never pretend to be) but it was better executed than most any animation. Definitely easier on the eyes than the Final Fantasy movie (I'll admit, it may have a lot to do with the lack of scriptwriting in that one, but many of the visuals were downright confusing and misleading, and didn't contribute to involving me in the story or investing me in the outcome). The incredibles had the virtue of doing animation that didn't scream out that it was animation. Maybe that's not new technology, but it demonstrates a lot of skill with the medium.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 11:39:36 AM »
I think the groundbreaking technology that the critics were talking about were smaller things, like the hair and cloth. Things that aren't really noticable unless they are done poorly. I can understand if you don't really care how the hair and clothes look. I thought it was very well done, and I would be interested in seeing a movie that you thought had done them as well or better.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy