Author Topic: Chronicles of Narnia  (Read 6657 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles of Narnia
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2004, 02:47:06 AM »
So does anyone hope that MIchael Eisner getting ousted will improve the quality of Disney films. Perhaps they won't be so pc.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2004, 07:05:08 AM »
not really because he's still CEO and the other job was filled by a longtime freind.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2004, 07:49:24 PM »
The only story I've every seen Disney do accurately was Holes (which, I have to admit, they did a good job on).  So the chances of Disney staying true to the book - especially one as religious as Narnia - are slim to none.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 02:29:03 AM »
Here's an article on the movie, can't realy say there's any new info or not (haven't realy followed the movie), but it was on RT so it caught my eye.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040927b.php
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 12:04:29 PM »
I think Disney being more PC is a sign of the times more than who is at the helm. But that's a whole nother thread...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 01:05:02 PM »
This press release is out of date, but fascinating: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1062

Instead of talking about how awesome their movie is, they spend the whole time telling us how awesome their PR campaign is. Does anyone else think this is a sign of tragically misplaced priorities? It's a variation of the poster rule: if a movie poster is primarily taken up by the stars' names, then the budget was primarily taken up with the stars' salaries and the writing is going to suck. If the press release is entirely focused around "look how much money we have to pimp our movie," I think it's safe to say that the movie itself might be getting lost in the shuffle.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 02:29:54 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 01:11:10 PM »
I'm surpirsed that you didn't hear that the trailer was coming out last Saturday. It was kind of mentioned on every major news network and ABC and a lot of other web-sites. So I guess their PR blitz wasn't that effective.

The trailer looks good, but it doesn't really excite me beyond "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" is being made into a movie.

I also noticed that Susan seemed to get a lot of screen time and we barely see Edward. I can't seem to remember Susan doing much in the book, but I can think of a lot of stuff that Edward does. So I think they showed Susan so much to cover up what Edward is doing. Right?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 01:13:41 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 01:18:30 PM »
well susan does do a lot in the book, but you cant have a betrayal if everyone knows about it.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 01:20:52 PM »
I have no hope for this movie.  In order to adapt the book to the film well they'd have to change many things yet stay true to the "spirit" of the book.  And since the spirit of the book is solidly rooted in christian mythology and symbolism, Disney will have absolutely no idea what to do withi it.

They're probably showing Susan so much because they threw in some sort of Lesbian attraction to the witch queen in order to be more PC.

Gaaaah!

* Skar sets Disney on fire for their future panderings to THE MAN.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2005, 01:29:12 PM »
No they've just replaced all the Christian symbolism with Budhist symbolism and Harry Potter mythology.

Same thing right?

*42 wonders how much longer we must suffer with the abomination that is Disney. Burns a Mickey Mouse effigy.*

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 10:28:21 PM »
I thought this movie was doomed when it was bought by Walden Media, sure they gave us Holes (which they were originaly going to set in Post Apoclyptic Califonia and they were digging for weapons) but it's also the company that gave us Jackie Chan's Around the world and the latest 100 million loss to Disney, Sahara.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 11:52:55 PM »
Wait, I get jumped on for declaring that Dukes of Hazzard is going to be crap and you all hang judgements on this without recrimination.

Hypocrites.

I'll at least give it a fair shot.  I liked the old BBC tv movies they made previously, too.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 12:11:24 AM »
That trailer looks pretty good to me. And yes, the old movies were fun. The whiney kid from voyage of the dawn treader was extremely obnoxious in those, even more so than the books iirc. As was Edward.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 12:12:05 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 12:20:12 AM »
I never said anything about Dukes of Hazzord fuzzy, though I know others did, I agree with you on that one and I also think Serinity will be dumb from the trailors.  My worry about this isn't so much the trailor as the people who are makeing it who are 1/3 in translateing books to the Big Screen.