Departments > Music

500 greatest albums

<< < (2/12) > >>

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
HoM, "I don't even want to think about what they're teachign you at school"

Fellfrosch:
I keep reading this, and discovering weird things. They put Lennon's Plastic Ono Band way above Imagine, and that's just wrong.

And they have Simon and Garfunkel at 51 (and it's not even their "best of" album) and yet we don't get Simon's Graceland until 81.

Sorry, I don't mean to be completely negative--a lot of this list is dead on. I just disagree with some of it.

Fellfrosch:
The first hundred includes only one each from Billy Joel and Elton John, yet it has two from Sly and the Family Stone. Somebody's hopped up.

fuzzyoctopus:
Nice to see that things like Santana, CCR, Weezer and Joy Division made it on there, and of course the top 10 is arguable to anyone by personal taste.  Sorry Saint, but I just don't like Bob Dylan.  
Since they polled musicians and critics, etc. perhaps his work is just considered the most important and influential and not necessarily the "best" music ever.

Also, does Eminem really belong on there three times??

But the one album I was looking for is there, so I can't complain - it's number 341, but it's there.

Fellfrosch:
Okay, I've read the whole list, and on the whole I'm pleased. It's a travesty that the Supremes are so far down the list, but I saw very little Mo-Town in general so that might have been a bias. On the other hand, I was quite pleased to see The White Stripes on there--I may have missed something, but I think the were the most recent album included on the list, and that says a lot about their talent. It was also nice to see so much David Bowie and Eric Clapton, and so little Van Halen.

I don't know if Eminem deserves 3 entries on the list, but he certainly deserves 2--and with 3, he makes up nearly half of the rap albums they mentioned. Interesting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version