Author Topic: Help w/ELANTRIS ad  (Read 2244 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Help w/ELANTRIS ad
« on: February 24, 2005, 04:06:43 PM »
So, Fell told me he'd talked TLE people into publishing an advertisement for ELANTRIS in the next issue.  However, there isn't a lot of time, so I have to get something together ASAP.  

I figure the cover art + some blurbs + the release date would look good enough.  The problem is, I'm visual-art challenged.  Anyone have any suggestions on how I should do this?

Oh, and 42, do you by chance remember TLE specs enough to tell me how big this thingy should be?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Help w/ELANTRIS ad
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 05:25:32 PM »
My first amateurish shot across the bow:

Put Elantris up across the top in rather big type, covering up the top part of the cover. End the cover near the bottom of the page and use the bottom to slap in a quote.

But you really need to talk to 42 here.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 06:27:17 PM »
I would put the quote in white text, outlined in black, on top of the picture. Do you know what the front cover will look like, in terms of title/author placement and the font? duplicating that woudln't be a bad idea

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 06:53:06 PM »
I actually have the front cover image.  That, actually, is what I have to use--not the blank art.  Tor has the copyright on the cover with lettering, but not the image itself.

My question is do I put a strip of blank space running up the side, then fill this in with quotes?  Or, do I overlay the quotes on the bottom of the picture?  Do I make the picture into a thumbnail?  

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 08:16:09 PM »
Well, unless there have been some major changes, TLE is 5.5 x 8.5 inches. It's actually printed on larger paper to allow for a bleed. It also lets TLE get away smaller margins occassionally. Course that is something that could have changed.
Are you getting a full-page ad?

I would think so, but  lot depends on where they need filler.

My layout thought. Put the title across the top in a large font as close to the cover font as possible. You'll want around 72 pt size

Under the title, split to 2 collumns, one with the cover art, the other will some kind of blurb that really sells the book.

At the bottom, place the release date, publisher, and mention brandonsanderson.com.  It wouldn't hurt to mention that you can pre-order on amazon.com

Mentioning your affiliation to TLE might help. For being small press and student ran, TLE doesn't do so bad for sales. A lot of small press do worse.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 08:20:17 PM »
There is a lot of detail in the cover that will be difficult to reproduce well on the TLE-size pages, so I suggest keeping away from thumbnails. I suggest just using one quote and let the art do most of the advertisizing and eye-catching. If you have Photoshop or GIMP, take thirty minutes to try a few different layouts.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 08:21:33 PM »
Oh, and angle the cover art and wrap the blurb. Got to bring some excitement.

Everything needs to be black and white. Adjust grays so that they are about 15% lighter. Send in format requested by TLE, probably a eps or tiff.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 08:23:44 PM »
We talked about book ads a lot last semester, and it turns out that actual text or summary is actually more effective than blurbs. Perhaps you can compromise on this by using your best blurb and a summary of the story--let people know what it's about, so they have a reason to be interested in looking it up.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 08:27:38 PM »
There is a lot of detail in the cover that will be difficult to reproduce well on the TLE-size pages

Yes that is true, but the image actually needs to adjusted to show the over-all composition and structure. The details will be lost and that's okay. No great artwork should be entirely dependent on details. the image should show enough to interest people and then make them want to get the book so they can look at the details.

And I agree that it would be best to write something original (and short) that sells the book. Don't just pull something out of the book. It should be about one paragraph.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 08:40:38 PM »
I agree with stacer on the summary. You could even you the summary that Tor is putting on the inside cover for time-conservation's sake.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 01:49:27 AM »
I'd use a quote by Card.  He sells big in the same circles TLE does, if I'm not mistaken.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 04:51:51 AM »
Wait. What? Who did Dan talk to, because neither the Associate (Me) nor the Managing Editor (Mr. M) know about this.

I'm all for it, but I'm just curious where this came from.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 05:29:12 AM »
Perhaps he meant to say that Dan meant to talk with someone on TLE who was meaning to talk to the editors about placing an ad, eventually.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 07:11:56 AM »
It was probaly just a conversation he had between himself and the person in the mirror.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 05:43:12 PM »
Fell said it came from Chris.

42:  Thank you very much.  I'm going to do exactly what you guys said.