Author Topic: The Vagaries of University Bureaucracy (re: TLE)  (Read 17228 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: The Vagaries of University Bureaucracy (TLE)
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2006, 04:19:41 AM »
A copy to the Daily Universe would be good. I agree with Ookla, there should be more letters.

Since the English Dept. almost got rid of the entire editing program before it was saved by the Linguistics Dept., I really have felt that the English Dept. administration  does not have good priorities for its students.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2006, 06:46:54 AM »
I talked to Sally today.  She and I are going to go meet with the English chair, Greg Clark, in the near future.  (If at all possible.)

She said that UVSC really wasn't a good option, in her opinion--even not considering Eric's objections.

Has anyone yet mentioned the honors department?  They could be a place to take this.

Oh, and Ookla, I think that the TLE staff has done well with this.  They only found out themselves a couple of weeks ago, and Mr. M. may have had a point in keeping it quiet for a short time, thereby letting the TLE people argue and perhaps change the department's mind quietly, letting the department save face before letting this thing explode.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2006, 11:07:48 AM »
Where's the Quantum Duck? We never did get a firm resolution to that issue--he's gone from Quark, but does TLE still use him? There be trouble if they don't.

Yes, the Quantum Duck is still alive and well at TLE.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2006, 11:33:39 AM »
I talked to Sally today.  She and I are going to go meet with the English chair, Greg Clark, in the near future. 

Ex-cellent! He's a bit of a Gloomy Gus, though, just to give you the heads up if you've never dealt with him before. (Case in point: I remember telling him I'd be missing class to present a paper that was accepted at an international ALA Jewish American Lit symposium and he shrugged and said, "Well, do what you have to do." And that was it; no kudos or anything. Weird. He's just like that.)

Has anyone yet mentioned the honors department?  They could be a place to take this.

/me palms her forehead.

The Honors Dept--of course! Why didn't I think of them. Hmm. Anyway, I think that's the best idea yet for moving to a different dept at BYU. :D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2006, 11:46:32 AM »
I think philosophy would be slightly better than Honors because every english professor I ever took a class from, aside from Cleon Skousen, really wanted in their heart of hearts to be a philosophy professor.  Switching to the philosophy department would be a knife in the eye to all those sanctimonious jerks.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2006, 11:53:13 AM »
I would try the philosophy dept. first myself.

The honors dept. sometimes becomes very controlling of its projects.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2006, 11:53:45 AM »
Switching to the philosophy department would be a knife in the eye to all those sanctimonious jerks.

oooh. Eye gouging. Yes, please!

Edit: If what 42 (and Skar) says is true, I guess the Philosophy department might be better, but why not approach *both* at the same time? It's not like we're sending out simultaneous submissions or something. I don't think it would be unprofessional, but rather, strategically smart. Approaching both might not only show how serious TLE is about this but also make them more eager to take TLE on. Or maybe not.... Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:02:45 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2006, 12:22:50 PM »
I don't think a "bidding war" would ensue, but I see no reason to stop at one office and then the other immediately, even if they're thinking about it. Pursue it!

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2006, 12:29:13 PM »
I wanted to toss in offers of help for anything that can be farmed out and will happily put in donations and get the word out to more exTLE staff that I've kept track of.

Has thought been given to fundraisers?  I'm betting we could get a lot of donations.

~J
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2006, 12:41:33 PM »

*smacks forehead* I didn't even think of them, and I'm graduating with honors.

Hmm...there's an official luncheon tomorrow. I wonder if that would be a good place to gauge their opinion...
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2006, 12:44:02 PM »
TLE could get donations, but BYU is finicky about that kind of thing. TLE must tread lightly for funding. I still suggest an endowment for TLE, whether it sticks with BYU or not, because it means perpetual funding. Usually you have to get on a waiting list and perform all sorts of bureaucratic circus tricks to get BYU to cooperate with outside funding. Forunately, we have the ninja monkeys on our side. Or at least several persistent exTLEers. I'm looking into it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:05:46 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2006, 12:44:04 PM »
Ah. Sounds like perfect timing to me, Mr. M!
--Spriggan

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2006, 01:03:55 PM »
I remember the honors program.  My one objection would be if they wanted only honors students on the TLE staff once it was theirs.  If I remember the Honors crowd correctly it was made up, in the majority, by the same kind of people who think all fiction is a waste of time and/or think the only "good" fiction is approved "literary" fiction.  That would put kind of a damper on participation by the people who actually like SF&F.

Perhaps that demographic has changed?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2006, 02:04:56 PM »
I was going to suggest the honors department, but then I remembered that I disliked almost everything about the BYU honors department. They have very obtuse ideas about how to run things, and I very much doubt you'd get the kind of autonomy that TLE thrives on. It's worth a shot, though--it's better than dying.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2006, 10:56:57 PM »
Oh, and Ookla, I think that the TLE staff has done well with this.  They only found out themselves a couple of weeks ago, and Mr. M. may have had a point in keeping it quiet for a short time, thereby letting the TLE people argue and perhaps change the department's mind quietly, letting the department save face before letting this thing explode.  

I'm sorry, I wasn't quite clear on the timeline. It still seems like they're going from Plan A to Plans C-G and skipping Plan B. While Plan B is still a viable option, it would make more sense to me to focus on it--the other plans can still be developed as contingencies, but it seems like they're being focused on...at least from what I've read in this thread.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!