Author Topic: Closed late night thread.  (Read 9116 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Its 2 am Eastern,... why are you up?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 03:45:23 AM »
I just like to cook, I dont know if its a southern thing (southerners are great cooks) or because when my mom left I became the cook around the house. Or because my grandma taught me how to cook right but Im the person most likely to bring dinner from the stove to the table in my family...

Its something I can do to get my mind off of things...

Tomorrow Im going to do 5 spice scallops with lemon sauce, peanut satay spinich, and rice with ginger and scallions.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 03:46:19 AM »
Hey!  That sounds like you're plotting my demise...

Actually, seafood is my favorite.  Does that make me a cannible?

Nope, but possibly a cannibal.  This is assuming you are a real fish.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 03:46:58 AM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2005, 03:46:51 AM »
Wow.  I think you need to share your recipe for *that.*

Nope, but possibly a cannibal.  This is assuming you are a real fish.

Ha.  Ha.  Ha.  So I can't spell this late either.  I knew that looked funny somehow...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 03:48:15 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2005, 03:48:03 AM »
I do have some good fish and shellfish recipies, but mainly because my dads family is a beach family...

We had great seafood on my Cutter, when you get your tow lines back from a fisherman and it has a 75 pound sack of fresh caught calamari and scallops tied too it thats some good eating... and do you know how cheap lobster is in maine!!! it boggles the mind.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2005, 03:49:05 AM »
Aww man.  Why do I live in Utah??  I want to be in Monterey.  Clam chowder...fresh fish...
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2005, 03:56:39 AM »
Wow.  I think you need to share your recipe for *that.*

I can share a partial ingrediant list on that (the bulk of that one is at home)
I'll try to wing it though
take a pound of Scallops and marinate them in soy sauce 5 spice powder, ginger, garlic and sugar (or splenda)

Take and juice a lemon and mix with a little Sake, (or mirin sweet cooking wine) some smoked sesame oil a little salt, some sugar, chicken stock and a little corn starch. Boil the sauce untill it begins to thicken.

Drain the scallops and fry in 3 tablespoons of corn oil (its high temp) with a drop or two of seasame oil. When the outside is white start adding the sauce (slowly) and serve hot....

The Satay Spinich is easy if you cut corners,

Get some young tender spinich leaves set aside for now. In a bowl mix a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce some chunky peanut butter and a couple of tablespoons  of daishi (or chicken stock if you cant make Daishi-Juro) untill you get a semi chunky watery paste. Add a little sugar if it needs a dash of sweetness.
Wilt the spinich in a pan and pour the peanut sauce over the leaves...

The rice is easy, but I'll give you some tips if you want...

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2005, 03:59:28 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of ranks in Profession (cooking).  There is a true roleplayer among us.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2005, 03:59:39 AM »
Yes, please.  And what's 5 spice?

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2005, 04:01:16 AM »
From about.com .... Although the exact origins of five-spice powder are lost to history, there is some thought that the Chinese were attempting to produce a "wonder powder" encompassing all of the five elements. All of the five flavors - sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, and salty - are found in five-spice powder. Then again, it's possible that a cook accidentally stumbled upon this particular combination of spices, and realized its power to enliven the blandest dish.  Whatever the case, there is no doubt that five-spice powder is unique.    

Of course, these days the specific combination of spices used to make up five-spice powder varies. In fact, some brands could more accurately be labeled "seven-spice powder," since they contain seven ingredients. The traditional mixture includes fennel, cloves, and cinnamon, along with star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. However, you'll also find five-spice powder made with cassia (a member of the same family as cinnamon), ginger, nutmeg, and even licorice (star anise has a wonderful licorice flavor).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 04:01:33 AM by ElJeffe »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2005, 04:03:03 AM »
So you can find this stuff at the grocery store?

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2005, 04:03:40 AM »
Yeah, or you could make it yourself.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2005, 04:05:33 AM »
If I had all that stuff to put in it...

Jeffe, do you have actual amounts for that recipe?  Think you could get them to me later?  I'm a decent cook, but I'm not much for improv.  

*MsFish glazes over  Scallops are my favorite...my mom made them for Christmas, and she wrapped them in bacon, which is wrong.  Fish and pork should not mix.  Mmmm...scallops....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 04:07:05 AM by MsFish »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2005, 04:16:08 AM »
Rice, so simple and yet so complicated... First, go to an asian grocery store and buy the rice they get. Uncle bens aint gonna cut it this time.

Get a 1 cup measuring cup and scoop 1 cup full of rice into a bowl or sieve or colinder small enough to prevent the rice from going out. Using cold water rinse the rice untill the water becomes clear and then let it soak for 30 minutes to an hour. Drain the rice and put it in a pan with a tight fitting lid with some diced ginger root (use about a 2 teaspoons) Cook on medium or medium low heat untill steam stops coming out of the top... keep a watch or your rice will boil over. When the steam stops turn the heat off and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Dont open it. At all. Period. After its sat for about 10 minutes it should be ok, get a scoop put it on the plate and sprinkle diced scallions over the top. MMMM good. If your rice is too watery put it back on low heat for a little bit but check it every 5 minutes or so.

You may get some crusty rice on the bottem of you pan, but cooked this way it should come up with a spoon, Its a tasty snack for the cook.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2005, 04:17:29 AM »
Yeah I'll post the recipe amounts tonight...

Honestly I dont use measures much,... just like to keep it by the stove to see what I should be adding next...

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2005, 04:17:48 AM »
I wonder if there's an asian grocery store in Provo....

Thanks for the recipe, btw.  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 04:19:39 AM by MsFish »