Author Topic: Job Hunting, as a general rule...  (Read 11387 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Job Hunting, as a general rule...
« on: February 01, 2005, 12:33:26 PM »
usually isn't all that fun.

But this time I redid my resume. It starts with a writing/publishing history, and my "experience" is later in the resume.

I have been getting tons of calls. I've sent it to maybe 2 dozen places, and I've had a half dozen phone calls. One interview set up and a probable phone interview in the near future.

Incidentally, no one would hate me if I edited web content for AOL, would they?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 12:44:35 PM by SaintEhlers »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: The Job Hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 12:49:30 PM »
Not more than usual.

After 7 months of unemployment I finally decided to start acting like I want a job... rang up some places today. I really need to start saving up for japan, heh.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Job Hunting, as a general rule...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 01:24:19 PM »
Congrats, SE. That's more than I'm getting. I did actually get a call back yesterday for an interview, but it's at a preschool. I have no idea why I even applied for it. I love kids that age, but I really hated being a preschool teacher. What with the tax refund I'm getting back, perhaps I shouldn't worry about getting just any job--perhaps I should focus on finishing the semester well without stressing myself out, then just go straight to a full-time job at Houghton. No moving expenses, so I wouldn't have to get a job to save up.

Ack. I hate having all these paths in front of me, all of which sound so interesting, but each is mutually exclusive. It's always a good thing to earn extra money, not have to depend on the student loans so much, but I just don't know if I can stand to work for a preschool again. This one might be better--the other was more of a daycare with political problems than anything. And I love the kids. But....
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 02:25:02 PM »

Incidentally, no one would hate me if I edited web content for AOL, would they?

naw, my brother-in-law is currently working for them, so I wouldn't.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 02:26:22 PM »
I really need to start looking for good-paying jobs, too..... If anyone knows of good ones in the Provo/Orem area, I'm all ears.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 08:06:47 PM »
Why would I hate you for that...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 10:56:52 PM »
Congrats SE!

Stacer:  This is just me personally speaking (I avoid Kindergarten and younger), but if it can be avoided I'd try for something a little older.  But like you said, maybe this one is different.  Look into it if you're interested and talk to the employees (when their boss isn't around) to see what it's like to work there.

And Entropy, good luck saving for Japan - that place is WAY too expensive.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 10:57:24 PM by Tekiel »
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »
I'm thinking I'm not going to do the preschool thing. I got a very encouraging email from the executive editor of the trade division at Houghton and it sounds like something might open up later this spring. She's going to keep my resume on file and gave me the name of a person who's starting in March who will probably be looking to hire. That's only a couple months away, so I might just concentrate on school till then, then go for the full time jobs.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 11:43:29 PM »
I'm thinking I'm not going to do the preschool thing. I got a very encouraging email from the executive editor of the trade division at Houghton and it sounds like something might open up later this spring. She's going to keep my resume on file and gave me the name of a person who's starting in March who will probably be looking to hire. That's only a couple months away, so I might just concentrate on school till then, then go for the full time jobs.

Well thats exciting then. Remember to keep us posted...

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 12:05:36 AM »

Ack. I hate having all these paths in front of me, all of which sound so interesting, but each is mutually exclusive.

I feel your pain, Stacer.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 12:17:08 AM »
This thread is very well timed.  Because I was fired today.

Job hunting, as a general rule, is much harder when you're in tears and numb from the betrayal of being "downsized" from a company and a job you threw your all into and worked your hardest at, and not even being offered an entry level position on the way out.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 12:17:47 AM by fuzzyoctopus »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 12:18:47 AM »
Fuzzy!  I'm so sorry.  That sucks.  

*hug*
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 12:21:15 AM »
Im sorry to hear that Fuzzy...

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 12:25:50 AM »
That's awful, Fuzzy. Did they give you a reason? Was it really cutbacks, or was it political?

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 12:28:14 AM »
If you feel like getting retribution through doorbell ditching we could probably arrange something... ;) :-/