Author Topic: What won't you eat?  (Read 15935 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: What won't you eat?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2006, 05:14:25 PM »
All I can say about this chick is that she's psycho. Oh, and never confront her in a dark alley with a jar of mayo... (Pardon her French, too, by the way)

Hold the Mayo, Part II

Since I have a severe phobia of mayonnaise (ew, even typing it makes my stomach turn) I thought I'd share. . . . This leads to more issues than you would think: I can't eat tartar sauce, miracle whip, or anything posing as mayo. I can?t eat ranch, creamy Italian sauces, or anything where oil and eggs may have any possibility of serving as cheap substitute for buttermilk.

. . . . I won't kiss my man until he brushes his teeth twice, if he eats it (even though he can't eat it in my presence anyway).  If people eat it while I'm present, I move or leave.  I know it's irrational, excessive, and puerile, but I really shudder at the very thought of it.  

I don't know when or why this started. (I remember some possible triggers, but nothing to make a phobia develop) . . . . I'm generally very nice, but if someone gives me something which may have mayo as an ingredient, I cuss like a sailor and act like a big baby . . . . When people discuss mayo in a room, if I see the rows of jars (ugh) in a store, or if commercial or movies mention it, I gag violently (yep, very puerile).  

But, damn it, when I rule the world I will ban it completely! The strange thing is that I cook with oil and practically live on eggs, and will even cook eggs in oil.  But once they're whipped together (ew ew ew), I'll have nothing to do with ?em.  (Liz Daniel)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 05:16:26 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2006, 11:53:27 AM »
Im the same way shrain, which is odd because I like eggs, and oil seperately, but whipped up liquid chicken and oil are a good way to get me to puke.

I cant do hard boiled eggs anymore either, thanks to a bout with a bad batch of Deviled eggs as a kid.

can we say gag reflex...

but back to mayo. What I hate the most with condiments is when places make the assumption that you want it.

Just offer them on the side and I'll be fine, but I'll scream bloody murder if I find a trace of mayo on my sandwich after I asked for non. Yes this applies to putting it on and then scraping it off with a knife.

I just started telling people I was allergic, and that helps, but every once in a while I get a server or a place that screws up anyway. My reaction is usually calm, send the food back and ask for them to get it right but I have been known to leave the restaurant in a huff or see the manager.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 11:57:10 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2006, 12:58:12 PM »
Liquid chicken? Is that broth? Huh. I guess I'm not as cooking savvy as I thought.

Anyway, I completely agree with the unwanted condiment thing. It sucks when you've waited 15 min. for your food only to have it slathered in mustard or something that you said NO to.  

I have a passion for ketchup, though. Ah, the glory of ketchup! (FYI, I found it really hard to find palatable ketchup in the UK. Those backward Brits just aren't into it. haha)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2006, 01:01:31 PM »
liquid chicken = raw eggs

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2006, 01:05:37 PM »
Ahhh. Silly me. I've just never really heard eggs described as liquid chicken. That's funny.
--Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2006, 02:24:24 PM »
I can't stand mayo, mostly due to a story my 1st grade teacher told me about why he was psychologically scarred from having mayo.

I also can't stand ketchup most of the time. I can have it on a burger occassionally.

Oddly, fry sauce doesn't really bother me.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 04:20:31 PM »
I can't stand mayo, mostly due to a story my 1st grade teacher told me about why he was psychologically scarred from having mayo.

Oooh. I'm curious. Out with it, I say! You can't just leave it hanging like that!
--Spriggan

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2006, 04:31:04 PM »
I have to say that that is weird that you don't like them separately, but put them together in a fry sauce and you're good. I personally love ketchup so I'm deeply and personally offended that you do not because every one must like what I like, after all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 04:31:23 PM by Tink »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2006, 04:34:48 PM »
I'm just deeply and personally offended by anyone who likes Fry Sauce.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2006, 05:11:17 PM »
I'm just deeply and personally amused by this virtual food fight right now. ;)

Oh, yeah, the mayo girl (Liz), emailed me back about the "trigger" for her mayo loathing. It's one of those most-embarrassing-moments kind of things. So, I thought, it's got to go on this forum right away!

Hold the Mayo, Part II.i

OK, so the most prominent trigger I remember was when I was a freshman in high school.  I went on a trip with the class out of town to some museum . . . where I endured 3 days of gossipy drama (all girls school) and the most boring activities I've ever participated in (we visited a trolley museum, where I honestly thought this is what it feels like to die from boredom).  

On the trip home on the big, smelly bus, we stopped for food. First I went to Subway, where my sandwich "artist" accidentally put mayo on my sandwich and I agreed to take it (aversion not so fierce back then and my mom had taught me not to cause trouble or waste food).  Afterward, being the cool rebellious teenager I was, I asked some hick outside a gas station to buy me some cigarettes, which he did--filterless Camels.  I smoked it down very quickly, ran back, and made it to the bus just in time.  

Immediately after we pulled off, I ran to the potty in the back of the bus and heaved all over it.  Yes, that's right, I was the girl who ruined the bus's bathroom 400 miles from home.  Since then, I don't think I've ever been okay with eating mayo, and the more I avoided it, the more I loathed it until finally, I suppose, it was a phobia.  Now, if someone puts mayo on something and tries to give it to me, they're lucky if they make it out alive!
--Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 01:25:05 AM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2006, 06:58:19 AM »
oh coconut jelly... that stuffs good.
Better out of a fresh coconut in trididad which you buy from a guy on the side of the road carrying a machete (which he calls a cutlass). Go up, ask for a "medium" and he throws the sucker up in the air, chop chop slices off the top like that and hands it to you. A medium is still a little green so the coconut milk tastes a lot like lemonade and theres a lot of it. then when your done you hand it back to him and he takes two whacks and gives you two halves of coconut and sliver of shell that you use to scoop up the pulpy gelatenous inside. Its good, sweet and totally different from coconut meat when it develops.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »
That's pretty cool. I could totally picture it all. I'd love to try that snack. Don't know when I'll ever make it to Trinidad, though!

Oh, and here's a link that's for SE in particular. But I think others might want to try these yummy drinks, too.  ;D
--Spriggan

DragonRider0_0

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2006, 08:50:38 PM »
For awhile could not even think about yugurt because my mom got a yogurt maker for christmas one year. I read the intruction manual A.K.A. how yugurt is made. (Very Repulsive)

I Recovered after about four months.
Yes it is tasty ;D

Cherry Kool-aid/Soda/Any drink makes me gag Because most of the medicine I had when I was Little was Cherry flavored
Never Recovered
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 09:10:19 PM by DragonRider0_0 »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2006, 09:03:01 PM »
cause yogurt is tastey :D