Author Topic: Dreading My New Writing Group  (Read 2188 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Dreading My New Writing Group
« on: February 08, 2006, 04:49:52 PM »
Okay, so I am rather uneasy and apprehensive right now. I've got my Novel in Progress class tonight and my new classmates ("mainstream" fic writers) will be having a go at my writing for the first time. I wouldn't be so freaked if it weren't for the fact that, like last semester's writing class, not a one of them reads SF regularly. :( That can be a problem, I've found. *sigh*

Yes, I know, good fiction of many genres can have a lot in common. So I'm sure I'll get some helpful feedback. But I wish I could have a class here where a couple classmates were totally excited about SF and knew the conventions and stuff.

That's what I love about TWG, and what makes me brave enough to finally ask what I've gotta do to persuade you all to let me join your cool Abridge Speculists group. I emailed Nessa (after being too cowardly to do so months ago). Um, maybe I need to email you, too, SE, with a writing sample? Just let me know. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 04:50:09 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Dreading My New Writing Group
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 04:59:11 PM »
feel free to send it to me!
I'll look at it, but I can give NO promises on time lines.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 05:05:40 PM »
lol. I've heard that one before. But that's completely understandable. We're all freakishly busy.

Thanks, SE. I'll send you the first chapter or two (though I've lately had to restructure some stuff so I need to flesh out some things in ch. 1 & 2). Oh, and I can give you a plot synopsis too in case you want to skip around or get a feel for what you haven't read. I'll email you soon! :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 05:06:13 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 07:26:27 PM »
That reminds me...SE, did you ever get the comments I sent you?  I forgot to ask.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 01:02:23 AM »
You've got mail Shrain!
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 01:03:08 AM »
Whew. So my class is over. Had some of the typical comments that I expected given the genre shock. Plus some difficulties since they got ch 1 and 7 with a synopsis so it's hard to have to rely on a summary.

What surprised me, though, is how my prof gave a watered down explanation of the genre before they workshopped my paper. Huh. Didn't expect that. A good sign, I think, though she only belatedly asked me if I wanted to add anything, which I was happy to.

Aaaanyway, it's always hard dealing with a bunch of mainstream fiction writers because some of them just don't like all the "work" it can take to start understanding the rules of your world and magic system or whatever. At least they really liked my characters and keyed in on the main inner and outer conflicts. Overall, they were intrigued by my magic system though they missed some details and started arguing about stuff because they hadn't read closely enough. *sigh*

But I did get some helpful feedback. For one thing, I used to have a way too omniscent POV when I first started writing the book in EUOL's class. In response to my group's feedback, I zoomed in closer. But now I realized I've been all paranoid and gone too far. So I need to put a little distance between me and my characters sometimes.

Uh, sorry for the long post (if anyone bothers to read it, that is).
--Spriggan

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 01:13:27 AM »
You've got mail Shrain!

Thanks.

I see a problem in terms of time zones, though. I've got a class from 6-9:45pm EST on Tuesdays! Shoot. I could always email comments after the fact, but, darn it, I wanted to do a "live" meeting with you all. Plus, even if everyone was okay with changing the meeting time for one night when I would be evaluated, it wouldn't be fair to you all if I couldn't be available to workshop your stuff live. Boy, I hate evening classes sometimes! :(
--Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 09:16:06 AM »
That reminds me...SE, did you ever get the comments I sent you?  I forgot to ask.  

I did indeed! thank you! I have been using them in planning my rewrite.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 10:54:01 AM »
I see a problem in terms of time zones, though. I've got a class from 6-9:45pm EST on Tuesdays! Shoot. I could always email comments after the fact, but, darn it, I wanted to do a "live" meeting with you all. Plus, even if everyone was okay with changing the meeting time for one night when I would be evaluated, it wouldn't be fair to you all if I couldn't be available to workshop your stuff live. Boy, I hate evening classes sometimes! :(

This is indeed a problem. We will have to discuss with the group and see what we come up with.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 12:48:39 PM »
Thanks. That's really nice to offer, but I don't want to be a pain--really. It's okay. I think what I'm going to do is send an email to my ward and the other singles ward here in Mass and see if I can drum up a couple writers and readers with an investment in SF. At least we wouldn't have to worry about the time zone stuff and we could meet in person (assuming I can find enough interested people). Might as well give it a go. See what happens.
--Spriggan

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 03:03:05 PM »
Shrain, really, this isn't a big deal. It's good to have a decent-sized writing group. Don't be scared away if you really want to join. We can change the day (which would probably be better for me and guitarbabe anyway), although the time will probably remain the same (7pm MST/9pmEST). By the way, SE is in your time zone, so we're used to keeping the time zone in consideration anyway.

It's been a fabulous group so far, with some very valuable feedback.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 03:10:16 PM by MrsNessaC »

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 09:35:26 PM »
Hey, thanks. I've posted on the other thread about my availability to see if it'll work out.  :D
--Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 01:38:50 AM »

I did indeed! thank you! I have been using them in planning my rewrite.

Yay!  Happy day!  That would be a terrible thing to lose in the mail.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes