Author Topic: Hey, Brenna!  (Read 3906 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Hey, Brenna!
« on: February 06, 2006, 06:15:55 PM »
Hey, Brenna,

Fish told me I should ask your personal opinion on Ginger Ale since I'm putting together a bunch of food aversion stories. So now I'm really curious.

Anyway, I thought this might be a good way to catch your attention. (I know that little Brenna is keeping you very busy!) :) But, if you are so inclined and have a minute, I'd love to hear your cautionary tale of Ginger Ale. (Cool, that rhymed internally...) That's all. Thanks!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
Re: Hey, Brenna!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »
I don't know that I have a permanent aversion to Ginger Ale.  Growing up, we only drank ginger ale when we were sick, and it was a good thing, a drink that always made us feel better. So I associated ginger ale with getting better.

Then, when I became pregnant, ginger ale and vanilla ice cream were the only two things that would reduce nausea. I drank a LOT of ginger ale...and now I don't like looking at it, even when I'm sick. Which is interesting, because it did make me feel better--it's probably just the excessive amounts I drank.

Hopefully, I'll get over the "ack! Not ginger ale! thing before I need it again..." but I've got a while, so who knows. :)

All my food adversions occured during pregnancy. I couldn't even look at chocolate, especially mint chocolate (my favorite)  for very long without feeling ill for about five months or so (A horrific thing, since I'm a chocoholic, normally...). Happily for my emotional state (but not for my waistline), I can again eat chocolate with impunity. :)

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 06:35:13 PM »
I drank a LOT of ginger ale...and now I don't like looking at it, even when I'm sick. Which is interesting, because it did make me feel better--it's probably just the excessive amounts I drank.

Wow, that was fast! Anyhow, your love-hate relationship with Ginger Ale is pretty interesting. What once made you feel good now does the opposite. Too much of a good thing, I guess.

What's also interesting is that a lot of people like to drink Ginger Ale when they're sick. They swear by it. Other people swear by having chicken broth or buttered toast or something. Huh. I think it has a lot to do with what our moms or dads (or whoever) fed us when we weren't feeling well. I could probably do a whole other thread on that. lol.

Oh, and good luck with the anti-chocolate sanction being lifted now that you're not expecting anymore! ;) MMM, chocolate.

Cheese, ice cream, mashed potatoes, and chocolate. These are a few of my favorite things. When I'm angry, when I'm stressed out, when I'm feeling sick, I . . . *ahem* Oh, sorry about that.  

Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 06:37:13 PM »
All my food adversions occured during pregnancy.

Me, too, especially cola drinks and ham. *shudder*
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:37:41 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 06:56:58 PM »
Actually, if you're drinking ginger ale that actually has real ginger in it, it really can make you feel better more than psychologically--ginger reduces nausea. Interesting, yes?

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 07:05:32 PM »
oooh. Cool factoid.
--Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 07:38:28 PM »
Chicken broth has actually been documented to reduce cold symptoms as well.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 08:00:06 PM »
You know, I think I've heard that. I wonder what it is about the broth, though. Maybe one of the proteins from the chicken or something. huh.
--Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 09:54:27 AM »
I think that it's the combination of nutrients in the chicken stock and the liquid form helping flush things through.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 10:03:24 AM »
Chicken soup contains drug-like agents similar to those in modern cold medicines. For example, an amino acid released from chicken during cooking chemically resembles the drug acetylcysteine, prescribed for bronchitis and other respiratory problems. Spices that are often added to chicken soup, such as garlic and pepper (all ancient treatments for respiratory diseases), work the same way as modern cough medicines, thinning mucus and making breathing easier.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 10:04:09 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 10:51:31 AM »
Chicken soup contains drug-like agents similar to those in modern cold medicines. For example, an amino acid released from chicken during cooking chemically resembles the drug acetylcysteine, prescribed for bronchitis and other respiratory problems. Spices that are often added to chicken soup, such as garlic and pepper (all ancient treatments for respiratory diseases), work the same way as modern cough medicines, thinning mucus and making breathing easier.

But then you have to eat five gallons of it to get enough of an affect to be beneficial.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 11:07:36 AM »
you havent seen how I eat soup...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 11:13:38 AM »
Not true. You just need a full serving, and since most people actually eat 2-4 servings of food when they take a helping, that's not an issue.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 05:18:27 PM »
Yep, gotta love the "American-sized" portions of stuff...  :P
--Spriggan

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 12:24:32 AM »
I will forever love Canada Dry, and Vernors ginger ale because my mom gave them both to my brother and I when we would get sick, and I still remember how happy I always was when she brought some home, and how good they always tasted.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus