Author Topic: What won't you eat?  (Read 15770 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
What won't you eat?
« on: February 02, 2006, 06:30:35 PM »
"Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don't eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don't eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink ten fathoms into the earth if you don't eat! Eat!"
--Alfred Kazin's mom (Alfred Kazin, A Walker in the City)

Okay, I'm hoping to enlist all you savvy, fabulously talkative TWGers in a class project of mine. Here's the scoop: I'm working on writing some content for a book tentatively entitled Beyond the Peel. My Book Design and Production class is going to publish this book, and we're focusing on all sorts of cool food-related projects.

What I'd really like to do is put together an awesome paper on people's funny/gross/weird/cheesy food aversions. So,*not* stuff you just don't like to eat, but food that you developed a psychological aversion to b/c of a bad experience.

For instance, I won't eat regular Cheerios anymore because I once ate a moth that had gotten in my Cheerios and drowned... ick. Guess I shouldn't have tried to watch cartoons and eat cereal at the same time... :P

So I'd love it if you guys could help me out. Tell me what you won't eat and why. Please be sure to include all the delicious details you can think of. Thanks! I can't wait to hear your stories. :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 10:43:02 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Re: What won't you eat?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 08:06:56 PM »
I won't eat pig's feet. It is rubbery and taste like dirt no matter how it is seasoned. I am also not very found of pig or cow intestines or headcheese. I've also found that cow brain's are a little too gritty for my taste.

A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 09:42:46 PM »
Garlic powder. Why? One time (I think I was seven or eight) I was disobeying my mom and so she got my brother to hold me still while she washed my mouth out with soap. Natrually I tried to get rid of the flavor and upon running into the kitchen and seeing a bottle of garlic powder on the stove I grabbed it and poured it into my mouth. Then I threw up. Way. To. Strong. Since then I haven't eaten garlic powder.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 10:45:43 PM »
I won't eat pig's feet. It is rubbery and taste like dirt no matter how it is seasoned. I am also not very found of pig or cow intestines or headcheese. I've also found that cow brain's are a little too gritty for my taste.

Um, yeah, lots and lots of details there! Yum. But I'm looking for food you refuse to eat for psychological (not taste) reasons. Still, I guess I applaud your courage for trying such "delicacies."

Faster, that story's perfect. Just what I'm looking for. Thanks. :)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 10:47:01 PM »
You're welcome, happy to help.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 12:31:37 AM »
My sister cannot stomach applesauce because she was sick a lot as a kid and we always gave her medicine with applesauce to eat.  She won't touch the stuff now.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 01:29:08 AM »
I can't eat Arby's. Particularly anything with their roast beef (if you can call it roast beef). I once spent a summer working for Arby's over a decade ago.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 01:36:10 AM »
Anchoivies.

I hate those little guys, too slippery.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 08:58:47 AM »
I have problems with Pudding

"What's wrong with pudding?" you may ask. "It's a delicious dessert with sweetness and goodness inside!"

Yes, but it is not supposed to crunch. So, when I was 9, and I was eating pudding and crunched something, I knew I was wrong. That's when I found the dead black bug.

AUGH! It makes me want to hurl thinking about it.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 12:09:58 PM »
Ooooh!  Ask Brenna her opinion on Ginger Ale!

I can't eat ham because my mother used to force me to eat it as a kid.  I hated the spongey texture, and she used to make me eat three bites or so, and I always felt like I was going to throw up.  Now I see or smell ham, and I gag.  I can't stand to be in a room with it.  It's one of the very few foods that I still don't like from when I was a kid, so I think if I hadn't been forced to eat it, I'd probably like it now.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 12:54:50 PM »
I used to be a sugar junkie, but since getting married I don't really like it. I wish I knew why--there's no real psychological reason, or at least not one that I'm aware of. I always end up scraping the frosting off of cake (though my kids are happy to help finish it for me), and I always make Dawn buy boring cereals like Cheerios and Corn Flakes.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 01:02:34 PM »
Dawn is drugging your diet.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 01:49:51 PM »
My husband has never eaten butterscotch but he has always "known", ever since he was little, that he doesn't like butterscotch and so he refuses to eat it now.

I get sick over melted butter. When I was sixteen or so, a friend gave me artichoke with melted butter on it. I was sick for two days, though that probably had nothing to do with the butter or artichoke. Thinking about artichokes doesn't make me feel sick, but thinking about melted butter makes me feel like I'm going to throw up.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 01:54:37 PM »
Cool. Thanks, all.

Fuzzy, was your sis's medicine mixed *in* the applesauce? I know someone who hates banana-flavored stuff because she had this medicine for a long time that tasted like bananas.

e, great crunch o' pudding story. :) I think even Cosby wouldn't eat pudding anymore if he found a bug in his Jell-O. :P

Ms. Fish, nice one! Thanks for all the details. Oh, and I'll have to ask Brenna about ginger ale. Only, does she look on TWG very often since little Brenna was born? Maybe I should try to get her email?

Mr P., why do you hate anchovies, pray tell? Just b/c they're slippery? Or did you have a bad experience with them that turned you off to them psychologically?

Fell, just a quick Q: if you *do* happen to eat sugary stuff--like out of politeness at a social function--does it make you all nauseous or anything?

Keep 'em coming, guys. You're awesome.
--Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 01:57:06 PM »
I'm much like Fell on the sugar, though not as extreme, over the past 10 years or so I just haven't been able to eat as much sugar (I just don't like it).  I don't like strong frostings or pure sugar candies (like Cotton candy, smarties, ect) though I can eat things like Lucky Charms or gummies.

As for food I don't like.

White/red Onions and Tomatoes.  I like the flavor of both, but hate the textures so I have no problem with Ketchup, pasta sauce, some dish with finely chopped onions but I can't eat anything with chucks of either.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.