Author Topic: What'll it be--NY or D.C.?  (Read 1867 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
What'll it be--NY or D.C.?
« on: January 03, 2006, 03:30:40 PM »
Okay, as some of you guys know, I'm driving all the way back to Boston next week. (I sure wish I had cruise control . . .) Luckily, my younger bro is coming w/ me. We're stopping in MO to visit family for a little bit.

But, at this point in our plan, we're kinda vaciliating on where we'll go next and spend a day doing touristy stuff. We've narrowed it down to DC or NY. It's so hard to decide, though!

They both have lots of stuff to do and see. Sure, NY has the rep for being more "exciting," I suppose. Of course, DC's public transportation is reportably -much- cleaner, more efficient, and safer than NY's. It seems like getting around in DC is just easier in general--esp. during the winter. Plus, driving from St. Louis to DC is more doable in a day than St. Louis to NY. As for lodging, I figure we'd be spending probably about the same amount in either city. (Not exactly sure about the comparative price of admission to various museums/attractions.)

So . . . I dunno. What do you guys think? ???
Jeffe, you're stationed in DC, right? Any words of wisdom? I'd definitely like to hear 'em.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 03:32:51 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: What'll it be--NY or D.C.?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 03:41:22 PM »
Most touristy things in DC don't *have* an admission charge.

Also, I like DC *much* better than NY.

There's my 2 cents. I live in the region too.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 06:53:34 PM »
I've been to both. Like both. So I can't really say. (Sorry, that's not much help I know.)

It sounds like you are leaning more to DC. Since they're both cool, do DC if it is less driving and more convenient. If you're living in Boston, you'll most likely have another chance to do NY.

Have you been to either of them before? Or will this be a first time for either? This would affect the decision as well.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 07:42:20 PM »
I've found that D.C. is comparatively easier to move around in the couple of times that I have visited. Particularly after 5:00 pm. Plus, D.C. is also relatively warm in the winter.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:28:31 PM »
I grew up here so Im horribly biased... but DC is a nice area. Compared to New York the Metro System is cleaner, but gets you fewer places. Still all the cool places to see are free. Shopping is nice, people are nice. Winter here is easy, (we get a snowstorm or two but nothing major) Oh and we have 4 amusement parks within a days drive of each other.

1.Adventure World
2.Kings Dominion
3.Hershy Park
4.Bush Gardens
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 12:03:11 AM »
Very good stuff, guys. Thanks!

And you're right, Chimera, I was leaning towards DC. Never been to either city, so I don't have a strong reason to go for one over the other.

But now I'm even keener on going to DC, thanks to everyone's opinions. The "free" status of the many cool places is very appealing. That combined with the shorter drive, nicer people, and easier transportation cinches it for me, I think. Yep, I'm *quite* excited to see the seat of our government. :D

Now I simply have to narrow down what we can reasonably do in one day!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 12:38:42 AM »
A mueseum, or the zoo and some shopping is about all you can reasonably expect to do in a day. Or a tour of the Capital and visiting a few of the monuments.

Soooo
then you need to ask what you want to do.
Like Art, well then you can choose from the Hirshhorn, the Gugenheim, the Cocheran, the National Gallery (both wings) and a dozen smaller galleries.

Like Pandas we got a few at the National zoo... including our new Panda Cub...

and then theres the Smithsonian... and museums

Air and Space, Natural History, National History, American Indian, Postal Mueseum, Holocaust Museum, and there is a Spy museum that does cost a little cash (but its cool) Im sure I forgot some.
Air and Space has some rocking movies too, IMAX and a sweet planetarium.

The FBI building does a tour
the National Cathedral is beautiful
oooh and the Arboritium is a neat surprise...

There are tours of the Capital, and Mt. Vernon (washingtons plantation on the Potomac is nearby) You can see Arlington National Cemetary and the changing of the Guard at the tomb of the unknown.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 12:43:35 AM »
Although I would highly recommend Mt. Vernon, you should wait until you can see it in the spring/summer in all its magnificent garden glory!

I would suggest visiting all the indoor stuff because I hate being cold. But that's just me, I'm wimpy that way. The Smithsonian alone will take you a week if you want to look at everything.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 01:44:27 PM »
The Capitol and the Smithsonian are definitely at the apex of our list. Trouble is, now that you mention the Air and Space museum, I'm sure we'd totally love to go there too. Oooh, and the Spy Museum sounds *incredibly* tempting--even though it requires $. The cathedral would be neat. I've seen a lot of cathedrals in Europe, but Eric hasn't.

The trouble is that (as Nessa points out) I know the Smithsonian could eat up our entire day. Rats. You know, I wonder if my bro would rather spend two days in DC and one in Boston instead of the other way around . . .
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 01:45:06 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 04:37:10 PM »
you can hit two smithsonians in a day, if it's an all day affair.

The spy museum is fun, especially if you have a ticket at the Shakespeare theater immediately next door (you can make a day/night of it, with dining very near). Right now they're showing The Comedy of Errors. Very hilarious. They do a very witty performance.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 12:34:54 AM »
e, thanks for the tips. The Shakespeare play sounds like a good after-Spy Museum activity.
Ah, this reminds me of seeing Twelfth Night at the Globe Theater in London. So awesome. Even funnier because it was strictly traditional, as in an all-male cast. haha. Loved it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 12:11:32 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan