Author Topic: Robots  (Read 2220 times)

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
Re: Robots
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 01:09:36 AM »
I like Hook too. It used to be one of my favorite movies, actually.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 01:26:59 AM »
It's not as bad as I make it out to be, but it is bad--in my opinion, at least, which is the only perspective I can possibly speak from. It's episodic, poorly acted, overly melodramatic, and has more "meaningful moment" climaxes than any seventeen other movies combined. I'm not saying I'd sooner slam my hand in a door than watch it again, but...maybe a couple of fingers.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 01:54:46 AM »
I liked Hook when I was about ten years old.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 11:57:40 AM »
No one has mentioned TOYS.  Which totally overcomes all other "good" movies he's ever made.  What utter crap.

Serious films, I think he's been OK in some, Good Will Hunting being at the top of the list.  I liked Patch Adams as well.  And while Aladdin should count, TOYS still overshadows it.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 12:00:20 PM »
I didn't think toys was THAT bad. I mean, it's no Gigli. I kind of enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was a high point in film. Plus, it's surreal, but it's not funny. I don't think it was meant to be funny. It's a serious film if you have to pin it down between the two.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 12:08:53 PM »
Ok, I never knew about it, but the TV ad for Toys which had Williams just making stuff up adendum was the greatest commercial ever and the best part about that movie. I'll have to rent it on DVD and see if it has the commercial on it.

Nanu nanu
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 01:33:14 PM »
overly melodramatic

Not possible.  But there's the problem right there, if you live in some bizzare world where there's such a thing as too much melodrama, no wonder we can't see eye to eye.

;D
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2004, 03:30:25 PM »
It all becomes clear.

As for Toys, I hardly consider it a good movie, but I enjoy the surrealism, and I especially enjoy LL Cool J. Of course I recognize that much of your hatred for it comes from its vitriolic anti-war message, but I always ignored that part--I just liked the idea of a guy who's gravestone was a giant elephant that blue bubbles from its trunk.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2004, 03:32:37 PM »
that was a really hard sentence to read, what with the homophone and all.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2004, 04:22:10 PM »
It's been a while since I saw it, and I'll never watch it again, but I didn't object to the anti-war message.  I am very anti-war.  War is bad and to be avoided, always has been, always will be.  The message that bugged me so much was the idea that if all the soldiers would just die or get a lobotomy there would be no more war.  It was the anti-soldier message that bugged me.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2004, 04:41:35 PM »
Oh come on, I thought that Hook was a great movie. You have to love a movie in which the main message in it is to make sure to have fun and be a kid sometimes, to never grow up to where you dont know what it is like to be a kid anymore. There were a lot of other good messages in there if you look for them. Besides that, it had some pretty funny parts to it.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 12:27:55 AM »
I'm going to go with Skar about Toys.  Ouch.  I lasted about a half hour into that stinker.

As for Hook--it was an interesting idea with good directing, but somehow just a little too...Hollywood to be excellent.  Reading Terry Brook's thoughts on the movie (he wrote the novelization) doesn't help my opinion of it any.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2004, 02:28:51 AM »
I find it impossible to like or dislike a movie based on its message, Archon. You can't judge movies or books on what they are about, only on how they are about it. At least I can't.

And yes, Skar, I meant to say anti-military, not anti-war. I apologize for the slip.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 03:14:44 AM »
Umm I think you're all forgetting about William's best movie, which was funny at many times, Good morning Vietnam.  If you haven't seen it, go rent it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 04:15:49 AM »
I actually mentioned Good Morning Vietnam in my list of good Williams movies. I counted it as a drama, but it does have very funny parts in it.