Author Topic: I Hate Hot Food!!!  (Read 7401 times)

Palfil

I Hate Hot Food!!!
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:22:20 PM »
I HATE hot (like in over-spiced) food. And I'm saying this with the same amount of passion as Mr. Smith in the Matrix I where he says that he "hates this place" (the creation of the world within the matrix).

It seems like if people can't make food taste good they have to cloak it in overly hot spices to make it taste like something. To me it displays a lack of talent and consideration.

I Hate curries.

I Hate chili.

If it is mildly spicy and stings my taste buds only slightly - don't ask - I Hate it.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
Re: I Hate Hot Food!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:24:36 PM »
....What are you selling?
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:19:49 AM »
lol, yeah FMJ it does seem alot like something a bot would put, but there is no hyperlink.

Anyway, Palfil, it seems to me that you know nothing about what goes into cooking. After all, you can't just dump in spices and serve, it overpowers everything else. You have to find the right blend, sometimes between several different types of spices. And what makes you think that people use it because they are bad at cooking? If someone had burned or chared the food because of incompetence you'd still be able to tell, no matter what spices they put in. Just becuase something doesn't catter to your tastes doesn't mean it wasn't done with skill. Take Apple Computers for example; I can't stand them, but that doesn't mean that I don't respect the skill that went into making them. Anyway, just something to think about.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 09:26:27 AM »
I love hot food, I like tobasco and jalapenos on almost everything.  I have even ate a lot of raw habaneros.  For that matter, I have grown a lot of jalapenos and habaneros.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 09:27:09 AM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 11:56:56 AM »
I love hot food myself! I have had raw and pickled and dried habaneros whole.. I must say.. the pickled and dried are the worst.

I had a friend.. we used to see who could find the hottest howt sauce from specialty and import stores and see who could take the most without throwing up or crying.

Brings a tear to my eye, and a cringe to my stomach thinking of it.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 01:32:29 PM »
I also crave hot, spicy food. I particularly like Thia chiles and the Korean hot pepper. A lot of people who can't stand hot spicy food just haven't had enough of it to get use to the heat so they can enjoy the flavor.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 02:18:48 PM »
oddly enough, I just went on a 45 minute search for a good hot and sour soup
I had some bad experiences with Panda Maxx across the street, so I ended up walking 8 blocks up the street, finally found a place, but it was a really expensive place, and I realized I didn't want to bring hot and sour soup 8 blocks before I could eat it. So I came back and went to Panda Maxx. Turns out their hot and sour is decent. Let's hope it clears me out like I was hoping it would.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 02:51:28 PM »
I happen to love spicy food in all it's forms, and have a very low personal opinion of people who don't. I'm serious--I actually look down on people who don't like hot food, and then I have to pull back and tell myself that they're still good people. But I don't really believe it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 02:55:13 PM »
That's very funny.

I dont' like curry, because the flavor is icky. But I like myself some spicey food. If I go out for Chinese and at least one spicey dish isn't ordered, I get very disappointed.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 06:25:03 PM »
I usually get 2-3 spicy to go with 3-4 regular.

I think it is good that we have so much in common here.

All the other less good people can not eat it if they want.

It just means they're bad people, that's all.

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 06:43:27 PM »
Posted by: Fellfrosch Posted on: Today at 11:51am
I happen to love spicy food in all it's forms, and have a very low personal opinion of people who don't. I'm serious--I actually look down on people who don't like hot food, and then I have to pull back and tell myself that they're still good people. But I don't really believe it.  
Posted by: The Next is the E Posted on: Today at 11:55am
That's very funny.

I dont' like curry, because the flavor is icky. But I like myself some spicey food. If I go out for Chinese and at least one spicey dish isn't ordered, I get very disappointed.  

Fell, I know what you mean. It seems to me that people who don't like spicy food are just unwilling to try new and spicy foods. It gets to me at times, but I tell myself that it is only a minor character flaw and that it doesn't mean anything.

E, there are actually thousands of different types of curry, so I suggest that you just try a different curry (maybe a masala). I love to try new curries.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 06:52:23 PM »
So Fell, heart burn, acid reflux, and ulcers are all the result of sin?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 07:40:52 PM »
If they are caused by eating spicy food, I'd say they are caused by righteous living.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 08:29:22 PM »
Im am usually amused by the toned down spicy most restaurants offer to people. Im equally amused that some people order said dishes and think they are getting hot food. They sweat, and complain and Im convinced react psychosomatically with what is essentially an ethnic dish with a dash of pepper. Thai places are often the worst offenders, followed by indian places leaving out lots of spices to favor the generic public even though the dishes they are serving are supposed to be spicy. I have cultivated a special relationship with my waiters now at most places, especially at ethnic places... I give em the look and say just make it for me how you would eat it, or tell them to make it very hot. That does the trick. You havent had thai unless its induced tears, and a good vindaloo should be painfully spicy.  8)

And while some places do use spicy to cover up real talent others make their food totally transcendent thanks to spice.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 08:30:35 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 04:38:22 PM »
Jeffe, you are so right about most restaurants watering down their spicy dishes. If it doesn't bring tears to your eyes and your nose isn't running then you're not eating.

I'm also glad you mentioned vindaloo. It is a great curry. Penzey's spices sells a good vindaloo.

Posted by: Fellfrosch Posted on: Apr 28th, 2006, 4:40pm
If they are caused by eating spicy food, I'd say they are caused by righteous living.  

Amen