Author Topic: d20 Mod  (Read 1228 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
d20 Mod
« on: July 25, 2003, 09:06:43 AM »
Ok, ever since we talked about using CoC for other genres, and I complained about how it didn't offer enough choices I've been thinking about modding d20, D&D really, into a "build your own class" sort of thing, and I finally started working on it. I have most of the class features rolled into feats, many of which are obviously prerequisites for others, and others which like "Uncanny Dodge" which have stackable, progressive natures that you can get multiple times.

So basically, you gain a level, you get a certain number of points to spend on either saves or attack bonuses, and you get feats to buy either regular feats or class features. It's sort of like taking the fighter class to a new extreme. I'm thinking of rolling the "points" into a feat as well, so you can be 20th level and still have +0 to hit, and +0 on all saves, but you'll have a heck of a lot of special abilities.

The problem is how to handle spells in this set up. It's very complicated. I originally assiged point values for how many spells a class gained each level, but you have to do that for both learning a spell and gaining the ability to cast spells per day. I'm trying to find a way to equalize this. It's taking a lot of time and analysis (comparing to attack bonus and save progression, etc to see relative power increases).

Now I spout all this to see if any of you have opinions or feedback on either the value of what I'm doing or the way which I could go about it. What say ye?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: d20 Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 06:26:54 PM »
One problem that someone pointed out, and that i never thought of, with CoC D20 is that every character is a combat character. Or, as someone pointed out, how come a civilian professor (of archeology, natch) who took the defensive option is better able to avoid injury than a marine?

What it needs is a non-combat option. So i like your idea. Spells are not a problem in CoC.

Keep me updated :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: d20 Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 11:04:56 PM »
I'm trying to be mroe generic than CoC, and they're spell system won't work for me. But I'm trying not to be as bland as d20 Modern. I should probably read up on spellcasting in that one again though, in case it helps me resolve soem problems.