Author Topic: Forum FAQ  (Read 6630 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Forum FAQ
« on: March 27, 2004, 05:45:44 AM »
You may have noticed a new topic in the News section.  I decided that I would finally get around to writing the Forum FAQ, since we've had several...uh...incidents with newcomers lately.

It's not finished yet--I only have Part One written out.  However, I have the questions I intend to answer listed at the beginning of the FAQ.  

So, do any of you have something you think I should add?  You'll notice that the topic is locked, so instead of replying there, you'll have to do it here.  Also, feel free to mention any typos you notice.  (Goodness knows, I never make any of those....)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Forum FAQ
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 05:55:39 AM »
5) People are making fun of me.  What should I do?

Haha... A.K.A the Entropy effect.

Anyway, yeah, we need that. Nobody new to the forum will read it, unless we jury rig some code that means that the first time you go to the forum you go straight to it, not to the main page. That might work.

Also include the most common nicknames - like 'charlie' for me, 'fell' for fellfrosch etc. Help clear up confusion.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 05:56:50 AM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 06:15:29 AM »
On the can I write a review sectoin EUOL, you should say something more like:

"Yes, please use the article submission form found through the main page.  If you've never written a review for us before please read our submission guidelines.  If the article/review is good and needs no further changes we'll post it on the site.  Sometime an article/review is lacking so a deparment head will contact you via e-mail about your article if this is the case.  If no e-mail address is provided, the article is deamed unfixable (ie just plain bad), offencive, an advertisement, or for something we don't deal with on this site, it will not be posted."

this is how, as far as I know, we deal with reivews and articles submitted by non-regulars.  Everything that I've described there we've had submitted in one form or another.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 09:17:07 AM »
I haven't reviewed the unwritten questions tightly, but the answers so far are good.

THe DIablo II review appeared in issue 40 of TLE (September 2000)
Which means when school starts up again for you students TWG will officially be 4 years old.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 09:53:58 AM »
TWG the website, if my memory serves me right, it's 3rd year this July or Augest.  Back in the day when Ver 1.0 was a ugly site that consisted only of a blue background and black text.  And the main page was huge 5 or so pages long.  JP's site was better done then that one.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 09:56:47 AM »
Are you *sure*?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 12:09:22 PM »
Looks great so far. If you use Sprig's text, make sure to spell "offensive" with an s.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »
lol.  I spellchecked it before I put it in.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2004, 12:56:53 AM »
With the "ettiquette" answer, we need to address repeated posts in a limited time frame to the same thread with no one else responding. we should also talk about judiciously useing pictures (suggest linking instead). Also, acceptable language. Finally, when startinga new thread, make sure it really fits the forum it's in and that it is the sort of thing our forum regulars can respond to.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004, 01:55:43 PM »
Moonbrow??
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2004, 05:58:17 PM »
I don't suppose we could just post a thing on the sign-up form for the message board that says, "Your IQ must be this high to ride."

Or make them pass a test, like -

1. You are joining a message board for the first time and know none of the members.  Do you-
  a. Introduce yourself politely and try to make intelligent conversation with the members
  b. Type in all caps so people will pay attention to you.
  c. Post in every thread, even if it's been dead for a year, just so everyone will know you have something to say.
  d. Post large pictures with each post to show how cool you are.
  e. b, c, and d

And if they don't get the right answer, they can't join.
-----
Edited to add:

2. Spelling and grammar are...
  a. a necessary part of polite communication with others. Obviously no one is perfect, but I try to spell things correctly.
  b. somfin dum they makes us lern in skool.  I am l33t and u cant make me speel so there ha!
  c. I'm too lazy to care about that *expletive*

3. I use swear words...
  a. All the %&$^# time!  $#*$&%! you if you don't want me to!
  b. When I'm very angry and feel that it's necessary to communicate just how upset I am.
  c.  Never.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 06:05:45 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 12:00:32 PM »
Hurry up and finish this already EUOL :P

I should write my own one. Titled : 'Newbies : why i hate you'.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 06:49:48 PM »
that would be a quick FAQ:

Because I'm Scottish and you are not!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 10:07:53 PM »
due to a suggestion from Sprig, and my endorsement, Fell has decided that the forum will no longer be used to request review materials, or discussion of the same. Please email the appropriate editor to do this.

The appropriate editor is the one closest to you. Which means, primarily, that I will handle requests from Jeffe, Stacer, Entropy, and Gemm. Essentially, anyone east of the Mississippi. If you're in Europe, I've got you as well.
In the Pacific Rim or West of the Mississippi, you're in Fell's good hands. In Africa or central Asia? well, we'll deal with that as it comes up.

EUOL, please put something to this effect in the FAQ whenever you get around to it.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 12:50:20 AM »
That's a good idea.

I'll put it in.  (I'm going to use this thread as a guide when I do the next revision, which will happen within a week or so.)