Author Topic: Fall 2005 TV Season  (Read 2761 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Fall 2005 TV Season
« on: September 14, 2005, 11:44:48 AM »
So, what's good/good coming this fall TV season?

Cartoon Network is showing the insanely huge hit anime Naruto on Saturdays at 9 PM. It started last week...this Saturday the 3rd episode is on, and that's a good point to start if you missed the first 2 last week. (Most of the main story and character introduction doesn't start until the third episode, except for the main character, of course.) VIZ is doing a great job with this anime (unlike they did with the manga), so I recommend watching it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Fall 2005 TV Season
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 12:24:56 PM »
I watched the first episode of Fox's "Reunion" and nearly choked to death on the cliche-ridden plot and horrible dialogue.  I also think it's hilarious that the episode took place in 1986, but the main characters wore clothes that are totally in style today -- only side characters wore goofy 80's fashion.

Of course, the one redeeming quality was that one of the girls is quite easy on the eyes.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 12:25:23 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 12:44:07 PM »
I watched Bones last night (sort of on accident, because I thought it was supposed to be House), and saw one of the most original ideas I've ever seen on TV: the cast of characters includes a forensic scientist, her FBI buddy, her team of nerds, and...her stalker. He's not really in the scary stage yet--he just met her, and he's harmless and kind of goofy and loveable--but the possibilities for the character and the show are really interesting. The rest of the show was pretty bland, and the writing was often terrible, but it does have David Boreanaz (or however you spell it) as the FBI guy, who is even better here than he was in Angel.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 12:44:59 PM »
The new season of Lost starts near the end of this month. As I've said to other people, Lost is easily the best TV show I've ever seen, and I highly recommend it to everyone. Just make sure to watch the first season before this new one starts.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 01:13:02 PM »
So, what's good/good coming this fall TV season?

Cartoon Network is showing the insanely huge hit anime Naruto on Saturdays at 9 PM.[\quote]

CN hasn't had a good anime since FLCL and even that was probably a fluke on how they got it (ie if they wanted one series they had to take both and I doubt they would pay for a 6 episode series by itself), frankly the fact its on CN makes me believe that it will be horribly stupid either because of bad translations or that it's just a stupid anime.  Which is sad since they've got such good original shows, but they have such poor taste in anime.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 01:13:17 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 01:18:53 PM »
New season of Smallville starts the end of this month. It has Brainiac this season (Played by James Marsden of Buffy/Angel). Plus they are no longer in High School.

So the season will be either really intense or it will be a sign that the series should end. The last season was fairly good, so hopefully they can keep it up.

But the show I will be watching this fall with the most faithfulness (which isn't saying much) is Battlestar Galactica. It took me a little while to get into it, but now that I've figured out what is going on, this show completely rocks.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 01:24:06 PM »
Tage, I'm losing faith in Lost.  After the incredibly stupid season finale (that promised to actually answer a question or two), I'm beginning to wonder if the writers even know what's going on on that island.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 01:29:36 PM »
I agree, the writers have no idea what is going on in "Lost", but they figure if they keep using the same tricks over and over they will keep enough saps to keep themselves employed.

I also saw Bones, but I wasn't really impressed. Mostly this is because I'm burnt out on the whole crime-scene genre.

And Cartoon Network is not impressing me as of late. Mostly because Adult Swim has really tanked in quality and they have too much Anime. Since me and Sprig get the Anime Network, I've burnt out on Anime.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 02:55:08 PM »
Yes, Bones was mostly a hack job, but that stalker fascinates me. If he's actually a recurring character, and not just a one-shot, I'll give the show a chance to find its feet.

I've heard so many good things about Battlestar Galactica, but I don't have cable and thus can't watch it. I also just got into Smallville, about a month ago, and I really like it--I wish there was a way to watch the first four seasons before the new one starts, but I'm too behind for that.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Legion

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 03:01:20 PM »
any one remember the good old days of Saterday anime on the Scifi channel.....wish they would bring that back.
Without death there is no life

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 10:58:07 PM »
I was reading the posts and soon noticed that everyone who had something to say on the subject was a guy. So I decided to put in my two cents worth.

A new season of Gilmore Girls! Hurray! Hurray! Luke and Lorelai are engaged! Hurray! Hurray! I only wish I could fit in more exclamation points!!!
If I had any clue, would I be here?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 09:07:20 AM »
Wait, this show has a pair of characters who hook up and they not only have alliterative names, but those names are reminicent of the most famous incestuous almost-couple ever to hit Sci-Fi.

No wonder I don't want to watch it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 09:43:38 AM »
It was also created using taxpayer money under an FCC wholesome family TV show act.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 03:56:16 PM »
I was reading the posts and soon noticed that everyone who had something to say on the subject was a guy. So I decided to put in my two cents worth.

A new season of Gilmore Girls! Hurray! Hurray! Luke and Lorelai are engaged! Hurray! Hurray! I only wish I could fit in more exclamation points!!!

I second the hurrahing! Yeah Gilmore Girls! I loved it when Lorelai went into her parents bedroom at like 3 in the morning with Rory's stuff. I think her mother can be so rude sometimes!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 03:56:44 PM by Tink »

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 05:02:56 PM »
I am dreading the new season of Gilmore Girls. Not that I watch it, but mine and Sprig's other roommate (not Prometheus) watches it religiously. All of our attempts (that one time) to move him to a women's apartment (the only acceptable place to watch Gilmore Girls) have failed. It's very troublesome.