Author Topic: Semi-Latin  (Read 1714 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Semi-Latin
« on: February 17, 2005, 10:49:23 PM »
In my current project the prologue is told as a legend and I'd like it to have the same feel as Tolkein's Simarilian, whithout being a poor imitation.

Saint has given me some places to look and books to read to help me get the feel of the rythm, etc. and I'd like to gather other suggestions from everyone else.

In particular, EUOL, I hear that you have a similar section in Way of Kings, can you offer any advice?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
Re: Semi-Latin
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 05:34:10 AM »
The very beginning of the Silmarillion is pure poetry. Especially the first two or so pages. If I were to try to create a Sil-type prologue I'd write it in free-verse poetry style allowing for liberal interpretations of the description. FWIW.

MoD, are you looking for some help with words and names? (Just looking at the name of the thread). If so, I could help you with some languages that are a little more obscure than Latin--if you're interested.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 09:06:02 AM »
actually, what I meant by the Way of Kings as a source was that the legendary feel of the back story had a similar feel to yours. It's a very different type of story, but they are evokative of the same kind of mood.

Btw, sorry I dropped off last night. I had major computer problems.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 11:46:03 AM »
Isn't the Silmarillion beginning in the anglo-saxon form like Beowulf with the pauses in the middle of every line? The name for those pauses is escaping me at the moment. Something with an "ae" in it, I think. Like, two stresses per line half, variable number of unstressed syllables.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 11:53:16 AM »
isn't that a ceasura? (sp?)

edit: Yes, it is, but it's spelled caesura, so you're right.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 11:56:35 AM by SaintEhlers »

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 04:04:27 PM »
Np Saint. I figured that was what happened.

Thanks for the advice guys. The idea of poetry alarms me, but  hopefully I am up to the task.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 03:26:02 PM »
isn't that a ceasura? (sp?)

edit: Yes, it is, but it's spelled caesura, so you're right.

Funny how I remembered the ae but couldn't remember anything else about the word, not even how many syllables it was or which syllable the ae was in. Not that I was thinking about it all day or anything, but I didn't dredge the word from my memory before looking at this thread again just now.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!