Author Topic: June 8 - Blade of the Fallen - Chapter 9 and 9.5  (Read 3079 times)

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: June 8 - Blade of the Fallen - Chapter 9 and 9.5
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 11:25:35 PM »
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

swaindaddy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »
LOL, Andrew Lang's Fairy books were written in the late 1800's and were a collection of fairy tales. No one uses Drakken, (although I think an Evercrack race was called Drakken). As far as the Drakken in the fairy books go, NO ONE uses them. They show up in a lot of the old fairy tales, like goblins or something, but you won't find anything on the net about them. I've looked.

But, uh, don't get mad at me when Drakken make an appearance in one of my next chapters  :D

Heh heh - no worries. I am actually starting to like the Dra'kyn spelling again anyways.
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything."

Wizard's First Rule —Chapter 36, p.397, U.S. hardcover edition

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 02:48:25 AM »
So Draken are male ducks right?  Male faerie ducks.  Yeah I get it it. :)
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

swaindaddy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 02:33:26 PM »
LOL
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 11:45:44 PM »
Okay, question about Bones - how old is this dog? If its as young as its size seems to imply (Dren putting it in a pocket) it probably needs some fairly significant care. What's Dren feeding it? Is he weaning it? Etc etc.

I think it's time to clarify just how the monarchy works, at least to some extent. Garrick says right at the beginning of the new section that a new king is chosen by the Rite of Eyes. Is that how EVERY king is chosen? Karrys's response about the King dying without an heir seems to imply that this isn't the case. What roles do the Rite and heredity play? What if a king dies, without heirs for the sake of argument, and no new king is chosen by the Rite?

(Granted, there's a little explanation on the last question in the dialogue, which I found as I read on. Still, it seems like some of the information we're getting is kind of sketchy. We don't need to know every last detail of how it works right now, but I think we will need to know it eventually.)

And of course, there's the question of what happens when a new king is chosen by the Rite while there's a king already on the throne. I'm willing to let this one slide a little bit, because I expect to see this played out once Garrick gets wherever he's going. Still, it's a bit problematic that the characters don't wonder or talk about this.

I have a couple of points to make about this meeting with the Gloaming Hand. I find it a bit odd that so many people seem to take Garrick's word for it at face value - for all that he's supposed to be their king now, he's just a kid, a commoner and convicted theif who's been king for all of a couple of days. But since they do appear to take it at face value, it seems extraordinarily odd that they haven't pumped Garrick (and Dren, perhaps especially Dren) for information about this meeting. In fact, I think they probably should have made at least a token attempt to do so even if they didn't believe him.

At the start of Chapter Ten, I'm not immediately sure whose POV we're in. Part of the problem might be the name Gartren, which is kind of simliar to Garrick at least at first glance. The other part of the problem, I think, is that the first paragraph leads us to believe that we're in Gartren's point of view, while a paragraph or so down we seem to stip back into Garrick's POV.

Garrick's sudden conviction that his necklace has something to do with the Rite of Eyes seems a bit odd (I know it was mentioned once before; but here is where it really struck me), especially in light of his comments in this chapter, which seem to imply that he thinks the necklace has the potential to be dangerous. I have no idea why he's connected his parents' necklace to the Rite of Eyes, but if he has some actual evidence of this it would probably do well for us to see it. Otherwise it just seems like an odd cognitive leap to me.

A minor point, but this: "The wind snapped and Garrik saw Captain Haflaen slump in his saddle, an arrow protruding from the man’s neck. It had come from the forest" came really abruptly. That's not a bad thing, but it does seem pretty awkward as a part of the previous paragraph, which was long and completely introspective. I'd make this its own paragraph.

Aaaand that's it that's all. Except for one thing.

Ducks.

swaindaddy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 02:12:36 AM »
heh thanks. I think the distance and time issues will be dealt with after a few chapter insertions that deal with characterization.

The Rite should get explained over time.

I agree with you on the deeper questioning of Garrik and Dren. Will happen.