Author Topic: Diplomacy, anyone?  (Read 54010 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomacy, anyone?
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2004, 10:03:17 PM »
A week extra please.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2004, 02:32:26 AM »
A week it is.  Next Thursday then.  We'll work out exactly when what with all that wacky international date line and everything when we get closer to it.

And for Gorgon:
A)to support an army does the supporting army have to be connected to the province the attacking army is moving into or moving from?

The supporting unit must be adjacent to the space the attacking unit is moving into.  You must be adjacent to the space to be able to offer support into it.  You do not need to be adjancent to the province where the "attacker" is coming from.  As an example, if an army is moving from Kiel to Berlin, and the army in Munich wants to support that army moving into Berlin, the support order would read like this:

A Mun S A Kie-Ber
(or the army in Munich supports the army moving from Kiel to Berlin)  

B)If a convoy is broken up, do the troops being convoyed return to the space they origionated, or do they get removed from the board?

The troops just fail to convoy.  It is as if they never boarded the ships, and they remain in the space where they started the turn, provided they do not get dislodged themselves.

C) Can you convoy over a series of turns to move over a huge chunk of ocean, or do you have to follow those red lines, like in RISK?

There are no lines like in Risk.  If you wish to convoy, you must complete the convoy in one turn.  You cannot have an army "board" a ship, then move the ship the next turn to a new sea zone, and have the army "unboard" into a land space.  It isn't helpful to think that convoyed armies occupy the ships that are convoying them.  Just pretend that the ships are bridges that armies can use to cross over or something.

Now, if you want to convoy over two or more sea zones it is possible, all on one turn.  You just have to have a fleet of your own (or a friendly fleet from another player) in each of the sea zones through which you wish to convoy the army.  So if you had fleets in each sea zone all the way from the Gulf of Bothnia to the Adriatic sea, you could convoy an army from Finland to Trieste in one turn.  It would be difficult to manage, but possible.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 11:53:32 AM by Lieutenant_Kije »

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2004, 11:52:36 AM »
So by this time next week (wherever you are in the world) all orders should be in.  Midnight Thursday night US Mountain Time was more or less 9 hours ago as of this posting.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2004, 05:17:32 PM »
So, when I convoy some troops they basically skip over that space?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2004, 05:38:41 PM »
Yes, the armies 'skip over' the sea zone.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but the fleet that convoys the army doesn't count as supporting the army in its move.  It just convoys it.  In case you were wondering or thinking otherwise.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
So, if I have my army in a supply center/city or whatever you call it at the end of a FALL turn it becomes mine?  And do I loose these centers if I move troops out?

Also, on the starter map how do I distiguish troops from fleets?  I was assuming fleets were triangles and troops were the others, but I want to make sure.

Can fleets occupy coastal supply centers like troops can?  In addition, can troops defend fleets in coastal zones, as in back them up?  And Vice Versa?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2004, 12:02:34 AM »
So, if I have my army in a supply center/city or whatever you call it at the end of a FALL turn it becomes mine?  And do I loose these centers if I move troops out?

Well, it's yours if you get it in spring too. It just doesn't give you extra troops unless you hold it at the end of Fall. You don't lose production centers if they are not occupied.

Also, on the starter map how do I distiguish troops from fleets?  I was assuming fleets were triangles and troops were the others, but I want to make sure.

You are correct. Triangles are fleets. Circles are armies.

Can fleets occupy coastal supply centers like troops can?  In addition, can troops defend fleets in coastal zones, as in back them up?  And Vice Versa?

Yes, yes, and yes. Those are correct assumptions. They cannot support each other if the ships are in the sea instead of the coastal zone, or if the armies are on a land that is not a coastal zone, however. The rule, most simply stated, is that a unit can support any other unit that is in a territory the supporting unit can legally move to.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2004, 11:30:20 AM »
So, about 4 days (96 hours) until orders should be in.  Hopefully everyone's got a grasp on the rules.  

If you've been meaning to talk to that cute country in the corner but haven't worked up the nerve...now's the time to do it!

Just so you don't get caught flat-footed, make sure you understand how to write orders.  That's important.  Overviews of how to do this correctly can be found on the site, on SaintEhler's page (link at the top of the "Diplomacy Refernce Files" thread,) or in the "Diplomacy Refernce Files" thread.  Please ask questions if you need to.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 11:30:52 AM by Lieutenant_Kije »

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2004, 10:44:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure the answer to this has already been posted, but I'm still a little hazy on one thing; movement over sea.  As an example, say I want to move an army from france to england --> how do I know which 'squares' I can move from and which ones I will arrive from?  I know I'm missing something but yes, apologies for being dense.
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2004, 10:59:19 PM »
movement of ships? They can move one space, into and out of any space that has some water in it. For convoys? the army starts in a coast (a space with land and water) the navy starts in an adjacent space, the army then moves through the space the navy occupies into a coastal space adjacent to the space the navy is in.

Master Xaio

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2004, 07:27:13 AM »
Hm.  So those lines across the sea denote spaces? Ah... as they weren't joined, that clear, I didn't really get that.  Ok, all cleared up, thank you very much SE.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2004, 08:51:09 AM »
So I played Diplomacy at MileHiCon. It's an evil, evil game. With that said, for those of you playing here, don't trust anyone.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 08:51:42 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2004, 11:54:54 AM »
No, no, no 42.  To wax philosophic, Diplomacy is just like life: it has the potential for being evil.  You have to trust people, or you'll fail miserably.  The tricky part is deciding who to trust and when.  Which adds so much tension that it makes for a fantastic game.  In my opinion.

And just so nobody's confused, the lines in the water delineate borders between sea zones.  They are not like in Risk, where armies can use them to cross over the water.  I only repeat this here because it's come up more than once.  

It hasn't come up but it may, so I'll just say it in advance: the only island units can occupy is England.  Ireland, Iceland, and anything in the Mediterranean is out.  They're just there on some maps for geographic realism.  You'll notice the "basic map" (the authority map for geographic relationships) doesn't show them.  Switzerland is also off-limits.

Don't worry about being dense OutKast.  :)  Just kidding - there are no stupid questions when it comes to understanding the rules.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 11:56:01 AM by Lieutenant_Kije »

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2004, 11:13:25 PM »
Yes you do have to trust people in order to win Diplomacy. You also have to backstab someone in order to win.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Master Xaio

• Level 13
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2004, 07:30:41 AM »
Don't worry about being dense OutKast.

Thanks... I think.