Author Topic: Half-blood Prince Spoilers!  (Read 13984 times)

HP Fan

Re: Half-blood Prince Spoilers!
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2005, 04:01:34 PM »
So I think what you're arguing is JKR isn't going to have a new main setting. That there will be scenes at other places (such as the cave and Snape's house was in HBP), but there will be one main base that Harry will be most of the time and that is Hogwarts. If that is what you mean then I'm not disagreeing with you because more than likely he will be at Hogwarts the most in book 7. All I was saying was there will be events that take place in other places besides the normal places.

I don't believe that the horcruxes are located at Hogwarts. I think that information at Hogwarts will, however, lead Harry to where they are. Therefore, he will be spending a lot of time at Hogwarts. This will also help in Ron and Hermione assisting him. I don't know if they will be attending their seventh year at Hogwarts or not (if it remains open which seems likely), but I can't imagine Hermione not finishing and taking her N.E.W.Ts. I think, though, they will leave Hogwarts quite a bit during the book, even if Ron and Hermione do attend.

As for Harry being a horcrux, check out some of the forums on it. Many have brought up some interesting iideas. We really don't know how the horcrux spell is performed, so it's hard to say exactly, but one theory is that when Voldemort was going to kill Harry, he was planning on using Harry's death for his final horcrux (since it was a very important death to Voldemort). Voldemort had the object that was to be his horcrux nearby ready for the spell. When he cast the curse on Harry, it backfired. What if Harry was made the Horcrux instead of the intended object; would Voldemort know this or still believe that the intended object was still made a horcurx? As for the death needed to create the horcrux, Lily's death could have been used as the trigger, even if unintentionally. Voldemort might have realized his spell was a success, and therefore thought it had worked, just with a different death than intended.

It seems to me that Voldemort completely had the attitude of kill Harry, kill Harry until the fourth book. Then he didn't want Harry dead. Maybe he realized that Harry was a horcrux after the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Then his attitude changed. I'm not sure about this part cause I would need to re-read the books to be sure, but others have claimed that this was the case. Anyway, it's an idea to ponder. I don't hold completely to it, cause I'm not sure, but it sounds possible. I guess we won't really know till we read book 7.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2005, 04:04:28 PM »
What you all seem to be overlooking is that the Horcrux they knew of was already destroyed by R.A.B. (presumably Regulus Black).  For all we know, he destroyed many of the other Horcruxes.  My guess is: the next book will focus on (1)Harry being a Horcrux, and (2) whatever it was at Hogwarts that Voldemort wanted to get his hands on.

That way, other settings won't matter.  They'll still leave Hogwarts occasionally, but probably not much more than in the other books.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

HP Fan

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2005, 04:09:47 PM »
although... maybe harry's mother was one. THat could be why Voldemort didn't come for her and partially why he got thrown down when she jumped in the way.

As for that, it's hypothesized that Snape was in love with Lily and had planned with Voldemort that Voldemort would spare Lily as a reward for Snape. Then after the tragedy of James and Harry being killed, Snape would swoop in and act like a hero. This means that Snape might have been there that night. Then when she was not saved, this is what motivates him to go to the other side when Voldemort kills Lily. It's possible.

I don't see how one could say that Ginny is Harry's equal when he taught her. I suppose Rowling can do what she wants, since it is her story, but I think that is poor plotting to first have Harry teach Ginny DADA and then turn around and say she is his equal.

I agree with e. It doesn't mean she is as powerful as him, but it does mean she can handle whatever she needs to to help him. She has the strength in her to do it. Also, considering she impressed the new potions teacher enough to be in his club, I think it shows that she has great ability as a witch. She may not be AS good as Harry in DADA, but she is very good for her age.

HP Fan

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2005, 04:11:43 PM »
Plus, Harry taught Hermione and Ron in the DA as well. Are you saying that they aren't good enough to help him since he taught them as well?

HP Fan

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2005, 04:16:06 PM »
(Sorry for the third post in a row, but I can't edit my posts.)

You should also not this from the interview with JKR:

"MA: Does she [Ginny] have a larger importance; the Tom Riddle stuff, being the seventh girl —

JKR: The backstory with Ginny was, she was the first girl to arrive in the Weasley family in generations, but there's that old tradition of the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter and a seventh son of a seventh son, so that's why she's the seventh, because she is a gifted witch. I think you get hints of that, because she does some pretty impressive stuff here and there, and you'll see that again. "

Note the word "again" at the end. We're going to see more of Ginny in the future.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2005, 04:22:16 PM »
As for that, it's hypothesized that Snape was in love with Lily and had planned with Voldemort that Voldemort would spare Lily as a reward for Snape. Then after the tragedy of James and Harry being killed, Snape would swoop in and act like a hero. This means that Snape might have been there that night. Then when she was not saved, this is what motivates him to go to the other side when Voldemort kills Lily. It's possible.

So, this brings up a couple of ideas. If I'm right, and lily was to be the horcrux, then it failed, right? or else he killed it. Strike one more horcrux off the liste we have to find (I think having 4 or 5 goals to go for will make a very long book, longer than we've even seen, so either RAB has found more than one, or else more than two have been destroyed or left unmade in the first place). If Snape was there, as you theorize, and snape was going to save lily or what have you. Maybe SNAPE is a horcrux, which explains his fascination with the dark side and why Voldemort trusts him so much. And Snape telling Dumbledore that would be why Dumbledore trusts him.

ah.. theories theories.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2005, 04:25:06 PM »
Incidentally, I encourage you to register, HP Fan, and then introduce yourself and read the FAQ

HP Fan

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2005, 04:36:43 PM »

So, this brings up a couple of ideas. If I'm right, and lily was to be the horcrux, then it failed, right? or else he killed it. Strike one more horcrux off the liste we have to find (I think having 4 or 5 goals to go for will make a very long book, longer than we've even seen, so either RAB has found more than one, or else more than two have been destroyed or left unmade in the first place). If Snape was there, as you theorize, and snape was going to save lily or what have you. Maybe SNAPE is a horcrux, which explains his fascination with the dark side and why Voldemort trusts him so much. And Snape telling Dumbledore that would be why Dumbledore trusts him.

ah.. theories theories.

I doubt that Lily or Snape are horcruxes. JKR has estimated that book 7 won't be longer than book 5 (the longest), so it is probably a good assumption that some of the horcruxes have been taken care of previously, but Harry still has to figure this out.

I doubt Snape is a horcrux because Dumbledore mentions the problems of a living thing being a horcrux because they can think (I can't quote cause I am not near my book). I also believe it is not a good idea because, as you mentioned about Lily, living things can die and when they do, assumably, that part of Voldemort's soul dies with it. I don't think Voldemort would use a living thing on purpose. It is easier to control and use an inanimate object. I believe Dumbledore said something about the reason he might have used Nagini for a horcrux was because he was dying from the curse he tried to put on Harry and wanted to make his last horcrux before he died. Maybe there wasn't any other object near by with enough importance for a part of his soul to reside.

Even so, I really don't believe that Nagini was made into a horcrux. I think that this was only an hypothesus of Dumbledore's.

scAri

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • ?
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2005, 03:08:05 AM »
Maybe only the scar, and not Harry as a whole, is a Horcrux. Then instead of killing himself, he'd just have to undergo some sort of cosmetic surgery to get rid of the Dark Lord, eh?  :P

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2005, 09:36:28 AM »
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery (r). We'll take care of all your evil spirits!

HP Fan

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2005, 11:33:18 AM »
Maybe only the scar, and not Harry as a whole, is a Horcrux. Then instead of killing himself, he'd just have to undergo some sort of cosmetic surgery to get rid of the Dark Lord, eh?  :P

I have heard this theory, but I don't understand how some of his skin could be a horcrux, but not all of him. I think that mostly people are holding on to this because they believe that if Harry is a horcrux he'll have to die to kill Voldemort and of course no one wants Harry to die. (If JKR kills off Harry in the end, I will swear off the series forever. I think that would be just horrible.) But considering how little the wizarding world knows about horcruxes, I can't imagine that there isn't a way to take out Voldemort's soul without killing Harry. They have just never had to try before. But I'm sure there is a way. I just don't see how the horcrux could be in his scar alone. We'll just have to see though. There is really no way to tell at this point.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2005, 11:38:01 AM »
you'll swear off the series... after you've bought all the books in it?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2005, 11:59:03 AM »
The only thing that would make me mad is if Snape turns out to be evil. Anything else, including Harry's death, is fine with me.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2005, 12:04:10 PM »
what if snape and mcgonagel are really harry's parents and they didn't recognize each other after their sex-change operations?

oh, and Harry's Aunt is Voldemort.

HP Fan

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2005, 12:04:39 PM »
you'll swear off the series... after you've bought all the books in it?

Yes, swear it off as in never read them again. So what if I have all the books. I won't be able to enjoy them if I know at the end Harry dies. I just don't see the purpose of it. Dumbledore's death had very good reasons. Harry needed to go off on his own and make his own decisions rather than relying on Dumbledore's advice and guidance. But I don't see the point in Harry dying (unless she did something to prove it was needed other than to kill Voldemort cause, hey, she's the author and she can decide whether Harry needs to die to kill Voldemort, so that's not a good enough reason for me).