Author Topic: quicktime  (Read 2102 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
quicktime
« on: August 15, 2004, 05:54:20 PM »
Now, let's get something straight, I'm not hatin' a system, but this bugs me. I'm not starting a system war, but I'm saying something that MAY bug you if you like Macs. Back off now if that worries you. Again, I'm not saying anything about an OS or a set of hardware.

You cannot dowload quicktime without downloading iTunes. I don't care that iTUnes doesn't take up much space, I have a very tiny hard drive, and there is NO REASON I have to have that program.

Then there's the fact that I can't install and go even though it was accessing a file on the web that I needed QT for to get. No, I have to specify my connection and jump through a bunch of hoops

If MS does this, we throw a hissy. BUt for some reason Apple is immune. That annoys me.

Note again, I'm not telling people they shouldn't use Macs, I'm just saying that this was an annoying problem that's inexcusable.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: quicktime
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 08:47:58 PM »
That's really odd. It didn't use to be that way. You needed quicktime in order to use iTunes, but not the other way around.

It's remotely possible that they're doing it for licensing reasons, so that QuickTime and iTunes are considered 2 components of the same program, and so they don't have to pay double to the MPEG licensing association.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 11:20:46 PM »
Actually, that's the reason I didn't download Quicktime onto my computer right off.  All I could find was the iTunes download and install, so I just gave up till I needed it to watch something.  Then I downloaded iTunes and just hoped that Quicktime was part of it.  Seeing as how my hard drive is of decent size, there were no problems for me.  I just unistalled iTunes from my system.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 11:27:49 PM »
I think there is a way to download quicktime without Itunes
hmm turns out you cant,...

Im thinking Ookla hit it on the nose.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 11:32:14 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 12:29:30 AM »
the computer treats it as two completely separate programs as far as registering.

I'm sorry, but when anyone else pulls this crap, we don't think of such benign motives as "they're trying to save license fees."

I think it's far more likely that they're just trying to artificially inflate the number of computers that have iTunes installed.

I too, simply uninstalled iTunes. But I shouldn't have had too. And if the frickin' program is already playing a movie file, QT should NOT lock up the browser and most everything else until I specify what my connection is.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 01:22:54 AM »
I've never had it do that to me.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 01:42:59 AM »
At least it's not as annoying as trying to use Real Player.  I'm so glad that windows media can play most of those files, RP just spams you with programs and popups when useing.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 01:44:40 AM »
This is true. And also the reason why RealPlayer hasn't been installed any of my computers for a long time.