Author Topic: Sliced Bread  (Read 1017 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Sliced Bread
« on: October 08, 2003, 11:54:15 AM »
This thread is entitled sliced bread, mainly because sliced bread seems to be some sort of hallmark of civilization. When Im standing in line at the bagel place my heart always seems to flutter when the person making my bagel says " Would you like that sliced" and then she (or he) runs the bagel through a little bagel sawhouse (reminiscent of the buzz saw part of the flume ride at many many American theme parks) and I have a perfectly cut bagel, or slice of bread or loaf or whatever. Obviously the ability to slice bread isn't that special, but its special to me for some unknown and perhaps primal reason.So today when I hooked up my blender to try my hand at the new Nestle iced coffee syrup (Coffee, Sugar, Chocolate and sweetener made into a syrrup just like Nestle Quick) I didn't expect much... I should have this stuff is the best thing since sliced bread!
Well my morning frappe and a new Mac.
Im saving up for one of those new Mac powerbooks or perhaps if my wife will let me one of the new brushed chrome and steel 64 bit G5 power macs and a shiney new copy of Quark X-press. Oh and one of those fantastic flatscreen displays. Now I know a lot of you will say "my PC is better" or "why buy a Mac it can't talk to PC's" and Im gonna say thats not true. See Macs the next best thing since sliced bread for me, it shares files easily with PC's saving them in the same formats for easy compatability, its better supported with better warrenties and service oh and I can use a government employee discount and a payment plan!

Like I said sliced bread... which is why im excited to have my second job because staying busy is the best thing since sliced bread. Staying busy lets me be able to afford to get Herbert Lives Productions off the ground and start publishing and layout like I always wanted to in the first place. I love layout, and design, I love playing around with fonts and images I could spen hours on the way something looks. I remember my first computer a dinky Apple IIC that I owned for 10 years... 10 years with its little monochrome screen and dot matrix printer, its 51/4 floppy and huge powerpack. I wanted to do this since I started to write on that little bundle of joy.  And now its all coming together. Sliced Bread.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Sliced Bread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 12:12:05 PM »
I'm not sure quite how to respond.

Lately, however, I have a new electronic device that makes me giggle with glee.  I got a new laptop, which is nothing incredibly special.  It works, and that's good enough for me.  But it has no floppy drive, using instead a Flash Drive.  Maybe you're all aware of these things, but it was a whole new world to me.  The drive is tiny, but it holds HUGE amounts of info.  I can't remember the specs of mine, but it's supposed to hold the same as 88 floppies.  That's cool.  I have no real reason to be transporting that much info at a time, as the biggest files I ever carry around are about 6 or 7 hundred k, but the fact that I can make me just giddy.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 12:16:58 PM »
I jsut discovered that the problem I thought was a power supply isn't. And in fact, it probably isn't the video card. so that means new CPU. Probably new mobo too. As well as a new fan. Dang. no NWN for me for a while.

SO SILENCE ABOUT YOUR NEW TOYS!
/me cries

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 02:25:16 PM »
Jeffe, someone needs to get you an online journal.

/me pats Saint consolingly

I know how you feel. I married into my computer.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 05:19:39 PM »
SE, it may be the sound card. Thats what happened to my roommates brothers computer. Try that. And Jeffe, I love you too. Homsar, I have one too. Nifty little bugger. Much easier than a Floppy disk, and incredibly powerful. Mine is a 64 MB JumpDrive. Its very small too, so handy.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 05:37:08 PM »
The sound card is not likely. When you get no POST. well.... that's usually a very bad thing not fixed by a part you can replace for small bills. The video card, slightly more likely.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 08:20:17 PM »
See Mustard has the idea, Sliced bread ...like the Wacom 18.1 Cintiq monitor, a monitor that you can write on like a wacom tablet, it has 512 pressure levels and will incline 13-70 degrees.

mmm sliced bread toasty warm from the oven....!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!