Author Topic: Usernames  (Read 3336 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Usernames
« on: April 05, 2004, 07:05:22 AM »
So, I'm not sure what the appropriate term is--nick, handle, username, etc.  However, I thought I'd start up a thread where people can explain where their chosen forum usernames came from.  Perhaps this will give us an insight to each other's psyches--which may, or may not, be a good thing....

My personal nick heralds back to TLE days, when many of us worked on the staff together.   We had nicknames for former editors who stepped down, but kept coming to the magazine.  Prometheus, for instance, was called 'Obie Wan.'  (Because he was kind of a benevolent spirit of an editor, dead but still hanging around to help out.)

Well, when I stepped down from editor-hood, it was generally decided that I couldn't possibly be a 'good' spirit, like Prometheus.  They decided to start calling me the Evil Undead Overlord (since, during my days as an editor, I was sometimes called the Evil Overlord of TLE.)

So Evil Undead OverLord=EUOL.  Pronounced 'Yool.'  That's me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 07:05:43 AM by EUOL »
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Usernames
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 07:11:57 AM »
Well I've felt ambivilent toward nicks ever since the name number six caught on after the Sci-fi channel started to rerun my favorite spylike show back in the 90's (the {Prisoner) so I have either used my own name (express shock and awe here) or some strange variation on it. Eric always used to do the scene from the three amigos when El Guapo would ask Jefe what a plethora was. So I decided to go with Jeffe on the TWG, the various pronomen (sic El, Mad Dr. , El Diablo Loco, Elf) I change to suit my mood, but the Jeffe essentially remains the same, because I am always Jeff.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 07:12:10 AM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 07:26:02 AM »
I use several online handles.  I'm only using 2 atm.  The Best Known, and my favourite is 'Xaio' which is an elven translation from my book of my name.

Outcast I've used on and off because I reckon it describes me and my social situation pretty well :D I was once called an outcast, and I liked how it sounded, so...
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 07:37:42 AM »
The Onion of Death was an onion that my friend and I launched out of our potato gun. It took 12 shots for it to break, and on the last shot, we accidently (i'm serious about that) hit a squirrel. The poor creature went flying and hit a tree. We were sad. But, seeing as our faithful missle was also gone, we considered ourselves even.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 07:44:37 AM »
I want film... or a least a picture or two....

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 07:49:19 AM »
mine is a nerdy D&D reference. When AORP was still in its infancy 42's priest character invoked a lot of saints made up on the spot. Most were cultural references. once, however, he invoked The Great Saint Ehlers. (Ehlers being my real last name). I co-opted use of it on message boards thereafter. Generally before that poitn I was either Platypus or theLemur (because those animals are just so cool...)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 07:55:59 AM »
I've always liked Saint Ehlers as a nick.  Maybe it's because I was there when 42 made the comment.  

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 08:57:20 AM »
"JamPaladin" is an amalgam of the words "Jam" and "Paladin" (Obviously). Paladin is because at the time of choosing the name, I had a particular affinity for playing Paladin characters in various games (Diablo 2 and Baldur's Gate 2). Jam is more complecated. it comes from a really wierd site on the internet. Some people realise it's supposed to be a joke, and find it rather funny because it's so ridiculous. Others don't seem to get it and are (IMO, inexplicably) offended by it - it doens't contain foul language or images or anything, the wierdness of the concept seems to to offend people. So I won;t post it here, but if you want to know what it is, ask me.

Anyway, my friends and I found this site, and started finding it really amusing and making jokes out of it. In addition, "Jam" became an all-purpose, mean-anything word (Kinda like the "f" word, but not swearing). Then, add the usages of "Culture-Jamming" as in Adbusters, and "jamming" up computers. My friend who goes by the nickname "pocket" started being called "PocketJammer", he started calling me "Jason Jammer" and together with our friend "Jaiobie" we started calling ourselves the "systemjammers". Adding all these meanign together, I added the Jam to the Paladin to get the name.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 09:06:22 AM »
I'd always wondered about that one, JP.  I think it works--it's catchy.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 09:40:39 AM »
I keep thinking of the Clash's Car Jam

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 09:41:36 AM »
Or a palladin who's a defender of Jam, the perfect breakfast topping.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 09:46:36 AM »
It has emphatically nothing to do with the toast topping. I said this to someone I met the other day at Anime after he claimed he smelt jam, and wondered if I the name was because I ate so much of it. (Kinda like that Penny arcade comic "Why do you call him Cheeto?" "MotherBadWord Looooves Cheetos...")

This guy was called Krazy though. And I think it's an observation of his mental state, given the thigh slapping in time to anime themesongs that later occured, as well as the orange bandana and labcoat. Really, he's quite a character.  
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 09:49:20 AM »
mmmmmmmm Jam.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 11:07:18 AM »
Ooohh!  These are always my favorite threads.  Because now I get to show off my amazing powers of dream-visions!

I got my name from a dream I had way back when (I actually found the journal entry of it a while back, and I had it on Sept 11, 1998!  :o Coincidence?  I think not.)  

Anyway, it was a sci-fi dream with the coolest ship in existance that had an impenitrable shield and was battling the Enterprise.  Unfortunately, it was shot down and the last thing I remember thinking was the work Tekiel (pronounced Tek ee el).  I first tried to spell it Tequiel, but that looked too much like tequilla, so I stuck with this spelling and now use it for pretty much everything online.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »
so it had inpenatrable shields and was STILL shot down? Man, that sucks.