Author Topic: Cool Stuff found on the Internet V  (Read 41309 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Cool Stuff found on the Internet V
« Reply #300 on: October 12, 2005, 11:16:56 PM »
I've often worried about being broken into.

Well your Kidneys are in demand on the Blackmarket, or so Entropy tells me.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 13, 2005, 12:40:57 AM »
Thanks JK. It's funny, because just earlier today I was thinking, "I need to take a self-defense class." Maybe I can get what I need from this and save the money.  :)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #302 on: October 13, 2005, 02:30:59 AM »
Just stop cosplaying and you'll be much safer.

"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 13, 2005, 12:18:42 PM »
MIT students make working archimedes death ray!!!

http://web.mit.edu/2.009/www/lectures/10_ArchimedesResult.html
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 13, 2005, 12:28:09 PM »
Thanks JK. It's funny, because just earlier today I was thinking, "I need to take a self-defense class." Maybe I can get what I need from this and save the money.  :)

Not likely.  It's just a long sales pitch designed to look like an instructional page just long enough to get you to send a check to the author of the seminar/books/videos.

Some of the things they say in the sales pitch are downright silly.

For example: "Properly applied, you will never have to use physical force to protect yourself because you will never find yourself in a situation where violence is likely."

This ignores the fact that most violent crime is committed by predators who are actively looking for people who aren't expecting to be violently attacked.  Like people walking from the mall to their car.  What techniques will teach you how to avoid walking from the mall to your car?

This guy makes some good points, like the idea that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, implying that you don't go into dangerous situations.  And that learning to be alert to your surroundings is more important than being a kungfu master, but on the whole he's just another blowhard trying to sell you his video.

He makes the same claims to "street experience" the people he so vociferously villifies do.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #305 on: October 13, 2005, 01:22:15 PM »
While I don't appreciate the fact that he makes a living giving seminars, the information on the site, à mon avis, is quite useful.  A great many tips on increasing home security, avoiding behaviors likely to get one in trouble, etc.

Yes, there are even behaviors you can engage in/avoid while walking to your car that will help.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #306 on: October 13, 2005, 01:25:20 PM »

What techniques will teach you how to avoid walking from the mall to your car?

Combat roles and back flips.  Seriously would you attack someone who's moving around like a ninja on caffeine?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 13, 2005, 02:43:26 PM »
While I don't appreciate the fact that he makes a living giving seminars, the information on the site, à mon avis, is quite useful.  A great many tips on increasing home security, avoiding behaviors likely to get one in trouble, etc.

Yes, there are even behaviors you can engage in/avoid while walking to your car that will help.

I admit I read a couple of pages, and perused more and skimmed even more on that site, but I didn't find any concrete facts/techniques on the site itself, just philosohical musings.  If you found some actual concrete things, where were they?  I'm curious to see what they are.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #308 on: October 13, 2005, 03:39:51 PM »
It is a combination of "concrete" tips and philosophical musings.  The site could use with a better layout.

Here's one page on tips to avoid robbery:
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/robbery_avoidance.html

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 13, 2005, 11:16:58 PM »
Have another fun-filled web-game:

http://www2.b3ta.com/clickthecolour/
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #310 on: October 16, 2005, 03:18:29 AM »
http://www.zod2008.com/

After the 2008 election the demand for "S"s that you can use as weapons skyrockets.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 16, 2005, 01:18:27 PM »
In this RPG, the PCs are bouncing lawyers on a forbidden planet who, with hunting knives, fight a mad scientist for the Stanley Cup. They will fail.

http://slithytoves.sytes.net/~dave/rpggen/rpggen.php

Refresh for a brand new adventure!
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2005, 09:18:10 AM »
heh, that's making me giggle

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #313 on: October 19, 2005, 01:32:28 PM »
Worst job ever.

Warning, there's lots of bad language at the end. However, once the clock shows later than noon (well before the cussing starts), you can turn off the sound and pretty much understand everything that's going on.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 19, 2005, 05:03:19 PM »
I haven't seen this brought up yet.  Orson Scott Card has started an online SF&F fiction mag with reviews and columns and everything.

I think they've hit on the best model yet.  I paid for the first issue just to support the idea but the couple of stories I've read so far have been well worth it already.  I'll be buying the next.

They pay 6 cents a word up to $500, which is not a cap on story length just a cap on the payment.  Not bad.  I think I'll be submitting a thing or two I have lying around.  Anyway, it's here: http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com

-Fellfrosch