Author Topic: Help!  (Read 1368 times)

maxonennis

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Help!
« on: February 18, 2009, 07:08:19 PM »
Edit: I found what I wanted. Thanks for your help guys!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 11:00:20 PM by maxonennis »
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Revast

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »
I think I would have to see more than one sentence to really decide. As is it just reads like Harbor is forcing some other students mouth into a smile. /shrug

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:43:19 PM »
He, she, and it are all out of the question. There are no he's or she's in my story, and I can't very well go around calling every and anyone an "it". My main question is can anyone think of something better then what I've been using?
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
Make up a word.  Somehow introduce it into the story and then just use it through the book.  If you do a good job then people will find themselves using the word and you may have a neologism on your hands.

xD

All silliness aside though, making up ONE word to better relay the meaning of the story would be easy enough for a reader to cope with.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »
Or forget English altogether and write your novel in another language, one that has gender-neutral personal pronouns.   :)
He ate my horse.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »
The answer is obvious: Learn Latin! Karl will help! (I would, but I've forgotten most of it now.)

Well, I suppose German would work as well.

I think Miyabi's solution is probably the best one. I agree with Revast, I'd have to see it in more than just one sentence to really see how it works, but in that sentence it does look like "the graduate" is referring to another entity.  (Of course, we're also missing the context.)

I'd almost say don't worry about it and just use "its", but if you've got a lot of these characters running about, then yes, having so many non-specific pronouns will get in the way.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:53:50 AM »
I found my answer in the far east, on the other side of the world... ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:23:40 AM by maxonennis »