Author Topic: The Well of Ascension Musing (***SPOILERS***)  (Read 1679 times)

The Stone Rocket

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The Well of Ascension Musing (***SPOILERS***)
« on: February 04, 2008, 08:05:19 AM »
Greetings,

New to the board, I am.  I'd thought that by now, having entered my fourth decade of life, that I'd be immune to Fantasy-based excitements (huge WOT fan, but as the series has languished over the last few years so had my interest in Fantasy in general...) and yet, here I am now reading these most excellent novels by Mr Sanderson, pulling all nighters and fighting carpal-tunnel syndrome and far-sightedness for holding a big, heavy hardback book over my head in bed with the little book-light and all -- not to mention the crisp voice and arched-eyebrow of my wife the next day when I wake up just in time for supper...

Anyhow (ahem...) I do, in fact, have a question concerning The Well of Ascension.  It has to do with the cans of food found in the room below the Lord Ruler's study.  Anyone else thing that maybe there be "spinach" in them?  As in Popeye... as in the secret of his strength... as in Antium?

I don't have the book with me, but I seem to remember that the epilogue takes place two weeks later, with Elend and Vin speaking on the ramparts.  Now, I'm guessing that she would have mentioned something about finding cans and cans of Antium.  Yet, there is a strong possibility that with all the tending to wounded, rebuilding, and general anti-entropic activity taking place at the time that the one person who would have had access to the place (Vin), would have been much too busy to go about opening cans of what she would assume to have been foodstuffs.  It is also possible that many of the cans were indeed food, with Antium buried amongst them.

Any thoughts?

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: The Well of Ascension Musing (***SPOILERS***)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:00:58 PM »
Yes, spinach would be an enormous advantage when everyone else lacks green leafy vegeti-bibbles (and of course then lacks as much meat in their diets). No news on if he has any anchor tattoos though.

Gotta wonder if mushrooms are really big there...

hey, maybe they're filled with *extra-magic mushrooms~!*  :D
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

The Stone Rocket

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 04:10:17 PM »
Truly.  And, maybe if they passed some of that there spinach on to the Elantrians the whole city-wide dermatological crisis could have been solved quite simply...

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »
I was actually wondering something along the same lines.  I wouldn't be suprised to find that all the antium was in there.  I think though he's going to surprise us by having that be a nice twist.  (I think you confused everyone with the spinich suggestion.)

And... um... Stone Rocket... we're talking about a compleatly different series.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:55:12 PM »
No, Elantris was in a sad state. They would have needed fish oil too.  ;D
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »
wait till book 3.  you will get a definitive answer...muahahahahahhahahahha
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/