Author Topic: Jeffs, mental disorder thread  (Read 3712 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Jeffs, mental disorder thread
« on: October 29, 2005, 08:09:34 PM »
Well where to start... Its been a while since anyone tried to realistically discuss their problems on TWG. I have my share of issues, most of which stem from ADD which has become a full blown Adult ADD. The side effects are clinical depression, suicidal tendencies (relating to the depression) bouts of severe guilt, anxiety and other issues. Some symptoms are environmental... for instance I am a hoarder (common with ADD) and I have live with an insane amount of mess. Cleaning causes me to go through a lot of stress and anxiety as well. Especially since I can never have anyone over because Im embarrased to let them see my house.

So starting monday I begin to take back some of my life. I figure I can take away a small portion of the stress I live with by decluttering my house.

Its going to be a long week, I have multiple rooms to clean and my car and Im going to need a lot of encouragement from my friends. Emails and kind words would really help me stay on task, as would admonishments to stop goofing off and checking the web.

This thread doesnt just have to be about me, so if anyone needs encouragement or wants to talk about a problem they have... this is as good a place as any.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 08:19:14 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Jeffs, mental disorder thread
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 08:54:35 PM »
So, in other words, if you're reading this, I should tell you you shouldn't be, right? ;)

Tonight is cleaning night for me, too. I finally got a file cabinet--well, it's been almost a month ago now that I got it--but I haven't had any time to unpack the boxes that clutter my bedroom or clean up my desk.

So that's my project for tonight, as always, to be complicated by a kitten who just wants to help!

Good luck in your cleaning! Myself, I think the purge will be good. I have so much clutter. (But it all means so much to me! Or I might use it someday!)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 04:20:38 AM »
So starting monday I begin to take back some of my life. I figure I can take away a small portion of the stress I live with by decluttering my house.

Jeffe, I send my support. I had to take some steps to reclaim my life this past week, and it wasn't easy. But I feel better because I did it.

I also need to organize my living space--it is overflowing with bad karma. My excuse now is that I will be moving in two months, but that isn't a very good excuse since an organized room would still make the next two months more enjoyable. And packing/moving easier.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 08:27:04 PM »
I'm really sorry Jeffe.

Decluttering your house will help. It's good to do things even if you don't always feel like it.

I'll share with you my current studies in having a happier life. Try it out.

The cognitive approach is something that I've seen a lot of therapists and social workers adopt. At least in the area I live. It is based on the idea that you can adjust your mood with a little work. It starts with the underlying priniciple that feelings and emotions are not always truthful. Then it teaches youu to focus on positive feelings.

The simple approach is to start writing down negative thoughts. Any time you put yourself down or feel inadequate or just feel bad. Write it down in a statement.

Then look at that statement and figure out what about it that doesn't make sense. Cognitive theory states that negative thoughts are illogical and hurtful. duh. Usually there are ten typical logic problems (distortions) with negative statements.
  • All or Nothing Thinking: If you fall short of perfect you are a total failure.
  • Overgeneralization: Taking a single incident or event and makign it into a pattern of defeat.
  • Mental Filtering: Dwelling on a single negative.
  • Disqualifying the Positive: Saying that good things "don't count."
  • Jumping to Conclusions: statements that read the minds of others or predict the future though there are no facts to support it.
  • Maginification or Minimalization: Exaggerating the importance of something in a negative way or inappropriately diminishing the importance of something positive.
  • Emotional Reasoning: Assuming that negative feelings are the "truth," or "reality."
  • Should Statements: Statements that use should, ought, must, or similar wording that wallow in guilt, anger, or frustration.
  • Labeling and Mislabeling: attaching and accepting negative labels about yourself or others.
  • Personalization: Thinking that external events are the results of your own short comings.

So after you've identified the distortion, some statements contain several, then you can start to rethink the statement. It helps to write a statement that attacks the negative statement. Then write a statement that is positive to replace your negative statement.

This takes practice, but I find it helps. Also don't get caught up in trying to fix all of you negative thoughts at once. Just take a few a few at a time. It's okay also to write down a negative thought and give yourself some time before you attack and fix it.

So that's a suggestion. Hope it helps you feel better.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 11:32:12 PM »
We actually all spent a lot of hours cleaning this weekend. You know how sometimes you just get on a kick and you're afraid to stop because you might  never start again?  yeah, that's us.

I created a new rule for my little problem with 'projects'. I have one box. All sewing projects must fit in the box. If the box is full I have to empty it before starting a new project!
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 03:53:55 AM »
I think I might adopt your rule there, fuzzy.  I feel you on that one.  

Jeffe, I love you.  Lots.  I know you can deal with this stuff.  And I'm proud of you.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 09:25:29 AM »
I've been proud of him longer :P

Seriously though, Jeffe and I have very similar personalities because we share similar interesests and problems. And I've seen Jeffe make a lot of really good decisions (ok, and some that aren't so good, but some really good ones). So I know you're a good guy, Jeffe.

Anyway, I've been trying sort of a "zen" approach. Actually I don't know what to really call it, but basically all I do is take the bad stuff, realize that for most of it, it's out of my control, due to the agency of others, the laws of physics, etc. Even when it's my fault, it's impossible to erase a mistake, all you can do is fix it. So I just try to work with what I know I can change. It helps a lot.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »
I tried zen, it just left me with an empty bowl and a cold head.

Seriously though

ITS HORRIBLE! STUFF IS EVERYWHERE! HELP!...

Plus I seemed to have screwed up my internet connection somehow...

GRRR.

I though I was starting small.

But I think I bit off more than I can chew...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 12:09:20 PM »
Just clean one room then.
Heck, start with one type of thing
"Pick up all the clothes in the office."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 12:42:19 PM »
I am just cleaning one room!

In Fact I am just cleaning one corner of one room!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 12:42:50 PM by ElJeffe »

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 01:42:17 PM »
I found and vacuumed the floor of our bedroom last night. Now the floor is empty.  I'm not sure what to do with all the floor space.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 01:51:31 PM »
keep it that way... the alternative is horrific

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 01:54:37 PM »
keep it that way... the alternative is horrific

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 04:43:05 PM »
well I have to go to my dads at 6 so I have to call it a day today..

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 03:46:42 PM »
Day 2.
Basecamp...
with the help of my sherpa guide I have ascended to everest base camp  The site is in complete disarray, however my end is in sight. Looming above me is the dreaded everest.

(ok the floor of the study is mostly clean, and the closet is mostly cleared out. I can actually see and end to my goal. I do the kitchen tonight (it was the easiest of everything I had to do anyway.)

I actually think I'll be done tomorrow.
And I do feel better, I also dumped a ton of clothes today.

Keep me going guys....
keep me going!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 03:48:49 PM by ElJeffe »