Author Topic: Mistborn Video Game Proposal (Long Read)  (Read 8161 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Video Game Proposal (Long Read)
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 12:34:09 AM »
i would love an RTS type game but i don't know if it would work. HL2 is an FPS and i think if that's what you are working from it would be easier to keep it that way.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

holt

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 03:23:42 AM »
Wait, so you're wanting like. . . an FPS?

Yes...this is going to be a HalfLife2 mod so it sort of has to be FPS.  I may be wrong, but I do not believe that Half Life2 has any non-FPS mods made.

usually you don't have experience in a pure player vs player game...it means the kids who play all day and have no life are way to powerful for the casual player.

I would agree with you if this was going to be an MMO of some sorts.  But since it is a FPS so you log in...play for a while...gain X amount of xp...then log off.  When you come back you will have to gain it all back.

If you played Enemy Territory the xp system is based off of that.  It worked very well with their FPS game.  If you were good/played for a long period of time then you had an upper hand...BUT you didn't get to keep it forever since everyone else will eventually catch up to you and evened out the play field.

Also, in Dark Messiah (a Half Life2 engine game) they had an experience system that worked perfectly fine.  Basically you kept all of your xp until the match was over (normally a few hours).  Instead the match there was obviously several map changes so your xp carried over to the new maps.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:25:51 AM by holt »

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 03:28:25 AM »

Yes...this is going to be a HalfLife2 mod so it sort of has to be FPS.  I may be wrong, but I do not believe that Half Life2 has any non-FPS mods made.

usually you don't have experience in a pure player vs player game...it means the kids who play all day and have no life are way to powerful for the casual player.

I would agree with you if this was going to be an MMO of some sorts.  But since it is a FPS so you log in...play for a while...gain X amount of xp...then log off.  When you come back you will have to gain it all back.

If you played Enemy Territory the xp system is based off of that.  It worked very well with their FPS game.  If you were good/played for a long period of time then you had an upper hand...BUT you didn't get to keep it forever since everyone else will eventually catch up to you and evened out the play field.

Also, in Dark Messiah (a Half Life2 engine game) they had an experience system that worked perfectly fine.  Basically you kept all of your xp until the match was over (normally a few hours).  Instead the match there was obviously several map changes so your xp carried over to the new maps.
Hmmmmmm.

Not gonna lie, I'm not sure I like that idea.  I was under the impression it would be like a normal MMO except it's in first person.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 02:27:37 PM »

Very interesting, no i have not heard of either of those games but it sounds like it works. I had thought you would keep all xp for your entire gaming life, your system would work much better i think.
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 11:52:28 PM »
Hmmmmmm.

Not gonna lie, I'm not sure I like that idea.  I was under the impression it would be like a normal MMO except it's in first person.

Do you have any idea how hard it would be to create an MMO?  That would be a full time job for the next few years.  I don't have that sort of time, hence why I am only making a mod.

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 11:54:11 PM »
Very interesting, no i have not heard of either of those games but it sounds like it works. I had thought you would keep all xp for your entire gaming life, your system would work much better i think.

You should check those games out.  Enemy Territory is a free download.  But very very fun, I do not know why they released it as a free download.  They could of made alot of money off of that game.

Dark Messiah has a pretty interesting single player but the multiplayer is a lot of fun because of the xp system that they have set up in the game.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 01:07:21 AM »
Hmmmmmm.

Do you have any idea how hard it would be to create an MMO?  That would be a full time job for the next few years.  I don't have that sort of time, hence why I am only making a mod.
You could use a MOD to make something like that couldn't you?  Start out with something similar to what you want, except allow them too keep experience and stuff.  Then you add stuff like equipment, quests, etc.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2008, 03:42:28 PM »
Hmmmmmm.

You could use a MOD to make something like that couldn't you?  Start out with something similar to what you want, except allow them too keep experience and stuff.  Then you add stuff like equipment, quests, etc.

This stuff is a lot harder than you seem to think.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 04:00:24 PM »
Hmmmmmm.

This stuff is a lot harder than you seem to think.
I'm a programmer.  I know how these things work. 

BTW GUYS:  Brandon gave us the go ahead.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 04:52:07 PM »
Enemy Territory is a free download.  But very very fun, I do not know why they released it as a free download.  They could of made alot of money off of that game.

Per ID,

Despite a strong effort from talented developers, the single player portion of the game did not progress as anticipated. Cancelling the release was a difficult decision made in the best interest of the Wolfenstein franchise and fans. However, we remain excited about the progress and direction of Enemy Territory multiplayer. Over the next several months the focus of our development will be to complete the multiplayer portion of Enemy Territory and provide it as a free downloadable expansion to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 07:59:15 PM »

Glad to hear that Brandon gave us the go ahead.

But as for this game, it will definately not be an MMO.  I want to create something that is feasible (meaning that we can actually accomplish it) and will not take more than a few months (hopefully) to develop. 

Making a Half Life 2 mod will be the easiest way to go.  The game will focus on having fun but in a fast paced way that Half Life 2 engine is the king of. 

MMOs are not meant to be fast paced, nor will it be something that we can accomplish as they are a full time job with all of the patches and balancing that has to go into it.

After we make this mod and we all get a good understanding of how to code a video game and make them fun and exciting THEN I wouldnt mind at least looking into the idea of an MMO, but for now this will stay as a standard multiplayer HL2 game.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »

Glad to hear that Brandon gave us the go ahead.

But as for this game, it will definately not be an MMO.  I want to create something that is feasible (meaning that we can actually accomplish it) and will not take more than a few months (hopefully) to develop. 

Making a Half Life 2 mod will be the easiest way to go.  The game will focus on having fun but in a fast paced way that Half Life 2 engine is the king of. 

MMOs are not meant to be fast paced, nor will it be something that we can accomplish as they are a full time job with all of the patches and balancing that has to go into it.

After we make this mod and we all get a good understanding of how to code a video game and make them fun and exciting THEN I wouldnt mind at least looking into the idea of an MMO, but for now this will stay as a standard multiplayer HL2 game.
Sounds good to me.  Although I do think that eventually creating an MMO OR a single-player RPG would be really fun.

OK so let me make sure I have this all straight.  We want them to log on and gain experience while they play, but as soon as they log out they lose everything?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008, 03:21:15 AM »
Sounds good to me.  Although I do think that eventually creating an MMO OR a single-player RPG would be really fun.

OK so let me make sure I have this all straight.  We want them to log on and gain experience while they play, but as soon as they log out they lose everything?

That is correct.  Except for the fact that the server will store their xp for maybe 5 or 10 minutes in case they got disconnected or their computer froze or something.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 03:23:37 AM »

That is correct.  Except for the fact that the server will store their xp for maybe 5 or 10 minutes in case they got disconnected or their computer froze or something.
This is your project, but I have to say. . . that is the one thing that I really don't like about this project.  It is more appealing to players if they gain something from playing.  I personally hate it when I get nothing from a game the next time I play.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

holt

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »
This is your project, but I have to say. . . that is the one thing that I really don't like about this project.  It is more appealing to players if they gain something from playing.  I personally hate it when I get nothing from a game the next time I play.

Since this is a FPS and not a true RPG it will not take hours and hours of game play to become maxed out in stats.  After maybe an hour, at most 2, you will have full stats again.  So when you come back it will not take that long to level back up.

Besides, if you kept your stats in a FPS, it will get really old very fast because you will have nothing to level up to.