Author Topic: The Vagaries of University Bureaucracy (re: TLE)  (Read 17180 times)

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
Re: The Vagaries of University Bureaucracy (TLE)
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2006, 12:07:05 PM »
Well, we have had an interesting turn of events. TLE will continue to be sponsored by BYU!

Previously we mentioned that we could not find a department that would be home to us. Well, it turns out that the reason Linguistics and English Language department wouldn't take us is they thought English was bluffing. Apparently this has happened in the past where English was trying to get rid of a student journal and asked Linguistics to take it. When Linguistics said no, English would be like, fine, we'll keep it. So they figured it was the same deal.

So Matt was trying to get things squared away to make the magazine independent and Linda Adams found out that it was officially happening and she went to talk to the Linguistics chair, Lynn Henrichsen, once again. When he found out that TLE would officially leave BYU, he realized it was not a bluff and said that they could take it into his department. Dr. Alan Manning has volunteered to be our advisor (I believe he has written a sci-fi novel previously). So it looks like that for now we're good. The university will be switching the budget for the magazine over to Linguistics, so we won't have to worry about budget issues (I'd gotten the impression that the English department used their budget to pay for TLE, but it actually comes down from higher up, I'm not sure where, so that will just be transferred over).

Also, Dr. Manning wants to be way involved. He wants to come to TLE once a week! In a way I'm worried about his excessive involvement, but I applaud his enthusiasm. And hey, isn't it great that we're going to continue with BYU?

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2006, 12:21:30 PM »
I'm so glad to hear that. Did our letters make any difference?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2006, 12:29:52 PM »
AWESOME! I'm very pleased. And, i'll still do volunteer work that can be done electronically.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2006, 12:31:26 PM »
Wow, that's great! What a relief.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2006, 12:34:06 PM »
I'm so glad to hear that. Did our letters make any difference?

I really don't know. Since they were sent to the English department, which had no influence over the decision made by the Linguistics department, I doubt it factored in to the Linguistics department deciding to take TLE. It was more that Linguistics realized that English was not bluffing. Of course, that doesn't mean that it didn't help. I just don't know. I wonder if those letters, sent to Linguistics as a thank you for taking TLE (along with what was mentioned about how great TLE was for your careers and what not) might not help them realize what a great decision they made. Maybe they'll remember those letters if they ever wonder if TLE is a benefit.

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2006, 12:34:42 PM »
Hurray!
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2006, 12:35:31 PM »
a thank you letter would not be out of order, I think. We're all ready to write letters of protest, but I think we should show the linguistics department how glad we are they did this.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »
I had a class from Manning.  He's definitely enthusiastic about subjects he likes (to the point of making the class REALLY hard).  He can also be rather stubborn about his opinions (to the point of refusing to make the class any easier--even when the averages on tests were like in the Ds, as I recall).  Should be an interesting experience.  But congrats on the success.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2006, 12:53:14 PM »
I had a class from Manning.  He's definitely enthusiastic about subjects he likes (to the point of making the class REALLY hard).  He can also be rather stubborn about his opinions (to the point of refusing to make the class any easier--even when the averages on tests were like in the Ds, as I recall).  Should be an interesting experience.  But congrats on the success.

Very intersting.  I'm glad that TLE will stay at BYU - much happiness and making things much easier for everyone.

Dr. Alan Manning has volunteered to be our advisor (I believe he has written a sci-fi novel previously).

A really BAD sci-fi novel.  Yucky bad. I bought a copy online my freshman year and I left it at the Pub because I didn't want to read it anymore. If you want to give it a try it should be in the HubPub library.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2006, 12:53:56 PM »
a thank you letter would not be out of order, I think. We're all ready to write letters of protest, but I think we should show the linguistics department how glad we are they did this.

Agreed - and the more thank you letters the better, I'm all over this one.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2006, 02:04:17 PM »
Yeah, I'll send one. Can you give me an address?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2006, 02:44:07 PM »
That was a bit a good news. I would have been really upset had BYU dropped TLE. I'm still dissappointed in the English dept., but that's nothing new. I'm glad the Linguistic Dept. is so level headed.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2006, 03:34:49 PM »
Yeah, I'll send one. Can you give me an address?

Department of Linguistics and English Language
4064 JFSB
Provo, Utah  84602

I'm not sure who you would want to address it to. You could address it to Dr. Lynn Henrichsen, the chair of Linguistics; Phyllis Daniel, the department secretary; or Dr. Alan Manning, the new TLE advisor.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
That is really good news. It would be horrible if BYU dropped TLE. I'll get my "thank you" letter out before the end of the week.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2006, 12:16:06 PM »
I'll write a thank you letter today. This is wonderful news.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net