Author Topic: The Vagaries of University Bureaucracy (re: TLE)  (Read 17193 times)

Mister M

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Vagaries of University Bureaucracy (TLE)
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 07:04:14 PM »
Oh, and as for print-on-demand, University Print Services seems like they'll still do it, and the price from them is $4 per issue. (Plus we get proofs to look over, which is nice.)
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2006, 07:05:16 PM »
My suggestion:

Bring me on to teach a TLE class.  Take the focus away from the magazine, and make it focus on the student experience.  It think that by being a class, people wouldn't look so much toward the product--the magazine, with its contents--and look at the students being produced.  (Which was the real product all along.)

I'd donate my salary to paying authors and printing costs.  We go PoD to Lulu, which prints a book much like we do with MC for about four or five bucks, and we weather the storm until this new guy has more power or until I have a few best-sellers under my belt and can rattle larger chains.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2006, 07:09:05 PM »
Oh, and I wish you would have let me know as soon as you found out....

However, if you guys do weather this as per Mr. M's plan above, you'll certainly be among the TLE 'greats' when it comes to editors.

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »
I'll email you Matt's email address. He's the one who's been the chief liaison between us and the English department, and so he's the one who knows best who you'd need to talk to and what chance of success you have for it.

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2006, 07:15:33 PM »
Oh, and I wish you would have let me know as soon as you found out....

However, if you guys do weather this as per Mr. M's plan above, you'll certainly be among the TLE 'greats' when it comes to editors.

We would have liked to, but with things still up in the air and negotiations underway, it seemed like it might damage our credibility if we started bringing others in on it. And we needed all the credibility we could get at that point. (There might also have been specific requests by the departments or college to keep it quiet until things were concluded; I don't know for certain.)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2006, 08:29:56 PM »
Just a quick note, I know you guys don't want to leave BYU but there's a good chance you could get UVSC to take TLE.  They're just starting to move to a full fledged Uni by offering Master's degrees and the first 2 are English and business.  Heck even EUOL has thought about going over there and asking if they want him to teach a Sci-fi/Fantasy class.

Considering how accredit TLE is, and all the big names attached to it, they could want it.  And, after all, it would be better to move it over there then trying to strike it on your own.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:30:55 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2006, 08:37:26 PM »
I will definitely be sending a letter about how TLE was an important formative experience for my career. And I'll email Anne.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:38:09 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2006, 09:10:38 PM »
Have you considered other colleges? If the College of Engineering is willing to offer a BFA (making it the only one in the world), perhaps there are other Colleges besides the College of Humanities that would support TLE. I would suggest the science or business oriented Colleges since that much, much more funding than the art related Colleges.

Regardless of a students major, being staff on a student/semi-professional magazine looks great on a resume or grad-school application.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2006, 09:35:57 PM »
I'd donate my salary to paying authors and printing costs.  We go PoD to Lulu, which prints a book much like we do with MC for about four or five bucks, and we weather the storm until this new guy has more power or until I have a few best-sellers under my belt and can rattle larger chains.  

What is "Lulu"? All I know is University Press is willing to do print on demand, whether 1 issue or 50 or whatever, for $4/issue. There shouldn't be any reason for them to stop after we're not associated since they do a lot of private jobs for those outside of BYU.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2006, 09:54:59 PM »
lulu.com  PoD online.  The nice thing about using them is that they have a built-in credit card payment system.  So, you could just link to TLE issues through there, and sell them that way.  

I actually think the UVSC option might be a good one.  Scott Card has some good ins there, and honestly, it might be a far more friendly environment.  

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2006, 09:57:36 PM »
This is sad, sad news. If you guys need help, certainly let me know. I'll be living in Utah County come June, so am available for on-site help if necessary.

I may also be able to help out in the funds department. Can't help immediately, but come fall issue I will be more solvent. Shoot me an email.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2006, 10:24:28 PM »
Hmmm.  I suspect this is a warning sign regarding the fate of LTUE.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2006, 10:32:23 PM »
I have written a draft of a letter, but have to run to pack some more. (Moving tomorrow.) But I'll mail it out on Monday. I basically laud TLE as one of the things that got me started on my awesome career as an editor and how my contacts through it even now give me great professional blah blah, and how my experience at TLE also enriched my career as a graduate student.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2006, 11:09:24 PM »
Hmm, UVSC does sound like an interesting alternative.

On the other hand, I think it'd be awesome if BYU would let EUOL teach a TLE class. I agree that the editors/designers-in-the-making who benefit from TLE really are the raison d?êtra of the magazine.

Yet I can see why UVSC might prove a more, um, enlightened place for relocation. A couple weeks ago, my writing teacher confided to me that prospective MFA faculty members are always asked what their "policy" is on teaching or workshopping SF. Yep, I can't say it was incredibly surprising, but it *does* explain why the only SF-inclined prof (Uppinder Mehan) didn't get tenure. >:(

However, back to the issue at large.... even if UVSC embraced TLE, I'd still be ticked that BYU's students would have a lesser chance of participating. I'll sit down and write a polite letter myself--just as soon as I finish moving tomorrow. :P In fact, an hour ago I packed all my issues of TLE. *sigh* (Stacer, you're moving too? I hope it's to a better/cheaper place!)    
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 11:10:23 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2006, 11:50:11 PM »

I'd also like to volunteer to perform any work that can be electronically farmed out to me.

Should all negotionations with BYU come to naught, and you become totally independant, I'd also like to volunteer for this, if there's any way I can help from out of state.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 11:54:06 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan